Any further from elsewhere ?

Squawk7700
29th Jan 2021, 03:21
Once of those Cunard wing things.

gerry111
29th Jan 2021, 03:53
(Ah, the joys of smart phones!)

According to 9 News, the solo pilot only received minor injuries to his feet and is in Narrogin hospital. He needed to be cut out of the aircraft and the canard is rather sad looking.

mcoates
29th Jan 2021, 04:03
I have reached out to the RA-Aus to ask how something that stalls at 60 kn can be registered with the organisation. Told them I brought a PC 9 in an online auction and wanted to get it registered with them

I got an instant reply saying that most emails are replied to within 10 days...... DUH

0ttoL
29th Jan 2021, 04:23
https://www.watoday.com.au/national/western-australia/trapped-pilot-freed-from-plane-after-narrogin-airstrip-crash-20210128-p56xmy.html

Desert Flower
29th Jan 2021, 04:42

I think you mean Canard.

DF.

Squawk7700
29th Jan 2021, 06:05
Yep, one of those ones where the rear wing looks like that on a 717 and where your feet are out the front and the first thing that takes the impact when you hit the ground, as this poor chap found out.

Ascend Charlie
29th Jan 2021, 06:38
They Canard-ly fly?

Capn Bloggs
29th Jan 2021, 11:01
I can't cope with this (not being an expert on bugsmashers)! What type is/was it? :confused:

Desert Flower
29th Jan 2021, 11:48
Yep, one of those ones where the rear wing looks like that on a 717 and where your feet are out the front and the first thing that takes the impact when you hit the ground, as this poor chap found out.

So either a Long-EZ or a VariEze.

DF.

gerry111
29th Jan 2021, 12:09
I can't cope with this (not being an expert on bugsmashers)! What type is/was it? :confused:

They look a bit like a Saab Viggen, Bloggs. But made out of plastic and a fair bit slower..

Capn Bloggs
29th Jan 2021, 12:16
Onya Gerry, just had a practice using Bing and I found a pic OK. Who needs Google? Pretty slick looking machine!

VH-MLE
29th Jan 2021, 13:22
Sounds like it should be renamed as a “notvariezi” but that’s probably been done to death...

sablatnic
29th Jan 2021, 14:00
Thanks OttoL, a VariEze it is, neither Long-EZ nor VariViggen.

youngmic
29th Jan 2021, 23:41
I have reached out to the RA-Aus to ask how something that stalls at 60 kn can be registered with the organisation. Told them I brought a PC 9 in an online auction and wanted to get it registered with them

I got an instant reply saying that most emails are replied to within 10 days...... DUH

I recall this conversation popping some years ago where some thought it might be prudent to move the Vari-eze's out of the Amateur Built category and into the less stringent RAAus category. This was around the time when the upper speed restrictions in RAAus were relaxed (repealed??) the sticking point was the high stall speed of the Vari eze. This was overcome with the simple statement that VE's are canard designs and can't be stalled.

Sort of true, but not really, the canard wing certainly stalls which due higher incidence prevents the other wing from stalling. However and aside from that many aircraft don't actually stall due limited up elevator or stick pushers, although obviously can be with a bit more effort, as can some VE's if you really work at and don't mind the notion that recovery is unlikely.

I suspect the Vari-eze probably shouldn't be in the RAAus category as its high minimum flight speeds and lack of off field landing capability do raise its risk factor in engine failure scenarios.

Surprised and pleased to see how well the cabin structure held up, vari lucky pilot, shame to see a unique and pretty much irreplaceable aircraft lost though, probably getting close to only half a dozen left in the country.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
30th Jan 2021, 01:29
Re #7,

Any report of what the pilot's actual injuries are?

gerry111
30th Jan 2021, 01:53
Re #7,

Any report of what the pilot's actual injuries are?

Perhaps try #3?

Capn Bloggs
30th Jan 2021, 02:02
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/880x1680/vari_c994a7749294a87a30e2516a9a96aff798ce5b77.jpg

Ex FSO GRIFFO
30th Jan 2021, 09:55
Tks Cap'n.

Pinky the pilot
30th Jan 2021, 10:05
probably getting close to only half a dozen left in the country.

Yers! Haven't seen the one that used to reside in my part of the Country for many years now, or seen the owner around either but I believe he is 'still with us'.

youngmic; You may know/remember of whom I post. How are ya btw? Been langtaim since cruising around the Almond trees!:hmm:

BSD
30th Jan 2021, 13:39
Glad the pilot wasn't too badly (I trust) hurt, but may I ask, does anyone know the history of this particular aeroplane, who built it and when?

Cheers,

mcoates
30th Jan 2021, 21:00
This will give you the previous VH rego

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/247174

This will give you a history of accidents including many that have stalled, it is not really correct to say that they cannot stall because they can it seems. I haven't counted one by one but it looks like at least 50% of the reported accidents are fatality's ?

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/type/VEZE

aroa
31st Jan 2021, 00:35
Bloody spellcheck...in #1 I wrote ‘survived’. Which later posts confirm that he did.
Pleased to see there wasn’t a fire!
Trapped inside with the canopy having the aircraft weight on it....not a good place to be.

Capn Bloggs
31st Jan 2021, 02:22
Trapped inside with the canopy having the aircraft weight on it....not a good place to be.
Cessnas for me.

mcoates
31st Jan 2021, 06:06
Not everyone wants to fly a 40 year old plane, which, if a car would be a vintage car.

Capn Bloggs
31st Jan 2021, 06:23
I'll get my hat and ... coat! :ok:

BSD
31st Jan 2021, 10:11
mcoates,

Thank you for the reference,

BSD.

youngmic
31st Jan 2021, 12:09
Yers! Haven't seen the one that used to reside in my part of the Country for many years now, or seen the owner around either but I believe he is 'still with us'.

youngmic; You may know/remember of whom I post. How are ya btw? Been langtaim since cruising around the Almond trees!:hmm:

G'day Pinky,

I think he sold the long a few years back as he bought a RV.

All good this end and trust the same yours and yes a few years since putting worry into crows. Somewhat of a soft spot in my memories for that bold little overpowered ultralight. Not sure if that is because it could beat right from the drop a Yamaha TT600 in a standing start drag race or if it was the forward firing remotely triggered 12 gauge mounted in the nose pod with heads up sights and a range finder . Either way it was a true joy to throw around.

aroa
1st Feb 2021, 10:02
Capn Bloggs ...don’t bank on it. Years ago in the UK I had a look at a Cessna 182 that had overturned. Didn’t seem too dinged up apart from being upside down. Windscreen was cracked, cockpit looked all ok...but
The pilot was killed. Mmmm.

Squawk7700
1st Feb 2021, 10:28
Capn Bloggs ...don’t bank on it. Years ago in the UK I had a look at a Cessna 182 that had overturned. Didn’t seem too dinged up apart from being upside down. Windscreen was cracked, cockpit looked all ok...but
The pilot was killed. Mmmm.

Cessna’s have a good habit of squashing you against the yoke when you nose in. I saw it myself once at Latrobe Valley, subject of the article titled “the not so merry go-around.”