PDA

View Full Version : Anything happening in Ivory Coast

JoeCo
19th Aug 2002, 10:24
Hello All,

Latest rumour floating around is an outfit in Ivory Coast is looking for drivers. Word is that they have C-208's, B-200's and DHC-8's.

From my basic reasearch I have come up with nothing. I thought that maybe someone out there who's in the know or close enough to the action would be able to confirm whether or not this rumour is for real.

I know it's not a lot to work with but that's all I know about this operation. So I'm hoping for any news from who ever is out there.

Thanks,

Joe

StressFree
19th Aug 2002, 17:28
Joe,
Surely you're not still looking for African work......................
Believe me Canada is a lot nicer than the Ivory Coast, hope you get some success soon.

:cool:

fesmokie
19th Aug 2002, 20:03
Try Abijon. If you want to go to HELL.. thats a start. If your from Canada ( like moi ) I'd stay away that that hell hole. And forget about Luanda too, It's almost as bad.:p :p

4granted
19th Aug 2002, 20:28
You obviously havent been there...! Go back to Canada mate. Dont need no negativity around like that. I personally had an absolulte funtastic time there..golfing, partying, BEACHING, Surfing , fishing and well flying in a very interisting enviroment.
win some lose some suppose.
Oh did I forget to mention the beutifull Marocan girls at the pizza TIGER!!!!!
oh well -42'C windchill factor of....good luck back in Canada
:rolleyes:

JJflyer
20th Aug 2002, 11:47
Hey hey hey... what planet are you from fesmokie??? Seems that you have never been to Abidjan ( DIAP ). As far as I recall it is a pretty western city with everything available that you can get in the western world, a bit higher prices, but nevertheless still there. Airport alone in DIAP is worthwhile mentioning as it is probably the newest in Africa. Good big terminal with shops and restaurants and AC that works. Air bridges work as well. Good equipment with ILS and recently comissioned ATIS frequency.

Saying that Abidjan is worse than Luanda is like saying that UrAnus is closer to sun that Venus:D Letīs just get the facts together.

JoeCo
20th Aug 2002, 11:57
Hey gang,

Thanks for the replies. Some funny stuff in there!!!

StressFree: Love the handle. Ideally that's what I'd love to have, a little StressFree!! As for my success, thanks for your regards, but it's not so much a question of success, but more a question of trying to stay "in the know". I learnt my lesson years back when I was unprepared for my unexpected lay-off so this is more or a "keeping the back door opened", if you know what I mean. Besides, flying the African bush has GOT to be fun!!

fesmokie: Did you have a bad experience in Ivory Coast? From the intensity of your reply, you sound bitter about the place. Just curious because if I end up going, I'd really need the headsup to know exactly what I'd be getting into to.

4granted: Well it sure sounded like you were talking about some first hand experiences. I guess every situation is what you make of it. Golf, beach, girls, flying, HELL I'M IN!! I love the adventure and I've been overseas twice so I know it's not all peaches and cream, but the experience is worth it. Personally, I am interested in the adventure and if I can accomplish that by having a pilots licence with the willingness to travel, who do i call.

JJFlyer: As for what you said, that's what I heard. I understand that if I was to venture to far outside of the city "limits" then things could get a little hair, however the city itself is quite nice, modern and western. Doesn't sound all bad to me!!

Regardless, thanks for both the positive and negative replies. Anybody willing to pass on a company name with phone number or web site, email, anything, really it would all help.

Thanks Again,

Joe

fesmokie
20th Aug 2002, 14:19
Although I never mentioned anything about the airport I do agree its a beautifull terminal but, we didn't live in the frikken terminal during our stay in Abidjon!! We never even saw the city center until our last two days where we spent in a 5 star hotel over looking the city.Very nice place.The three star hotel we did stay at was about a 15 minutes from the city center.Across the water from this place was a sewage treatment plant and if one wanted could walk across the 1/4 mile of Sh#t and debris on the water to get to the other side.The smell from the burning of huge piles of garbage every where you go, on the side of the streets etc. 24/7 was also quite delightfull. Very few people spoke english ( reminded me of Montreal) but I must admit the morocan woman in the bars/whorehouses were quite pleasant.I guess of all the places I've been and lived in Africa Abidjon didn't do a thing for me. I would take Nairobi anytime and Namibia ......Ahh...Heaven. "4 granted" Ive never seen -42 C in southern BC. Worst it gets there is - 5.

lizzard
21st Aug 2002, 08:46
the rumour of and outfit looking for drivers, I think, is exactly that, a rumour....I might be totally oblivious of my surroundings, so I stand under correction.
As for Abidjan...didn't quite strike me as the 'African Bush" quite a big, and relatively civilized city compared to the rest of West Africa.
Might get a bit smelly if the wind blows the wrong way, but once you get used to the chocolate/fish/**** smell, its not so bad.
Very cool little go-cart track and lots of funky little bars and clubs. Watch out for the nightfighters though.. great beaches a few miles out of town.....remember to pack the French phrasebook if you end up there.
;) :p ;)

JoeCo
24th Aug 2002, 11:40
Come on People?? Someone out there has to have some information about companies in Ivory Coast and the surrounding areas. Anything will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe