PDA

View Full Version : German Messerschmitt crashed in Easthampstead during World War Two ?

TheFrenchConnection
27th Jan 2021, 19:02
Did this happen or was it an urban myth ? In Easthampstead Bracknell, Berkshire ( RG12 7 ) , the story is that a German Messerschmitt crashed at Easthampstead during World War Two, but no-one has any details of the incident.
I am aware of the Junker JU88 bomber which dropped a stick of bombs down the main drive of Easthampstead Park Mansion in October 1940 , this JU88 was brought down near Guildford a few minutes later ... But don't know if this was the same incident.
Also we have researched the two crashes involving British planes in the area but have drawn a blank on the German one. Is anyone able to supply any information or point me in the right direction for further research please? Or is this an urban myth , red herring ? Thank you TFC.

DaveReidUK
27th Jan 2021, 20:01
The history page (https://eastpark.co.uk/history/) on the Park's own website makes reference to the Ju88 dropping bombs on what later became Downshire golf course, but there's no mention of any aircraft coming down.

TheFrenchConnection
27th Jan 2021, 21:26
The history page (https://eastpark.co.uk/history/) on the Park's own website makes reference to the Ju88 dropping bombs on what later became Downshire golf course, but there's no mention of any aircraft coming down.
Hi DR - information retrieved from The Wokingham Virtual Museum here ; https://www.wokingham-tc.gov.uk/museum/document/456

Nuuumannn
27th Jan 2021, 21:28
Hi TFC, do you have a particular time period of when this might have happened? Was it Battle of Britain or subsequent? Have you tried going through 'official' channels, like aviation museums, such as the RAF Museum or the Kent Battle of Britain Museum at Hawkinge?

rolling20
27th Jan 2021, 22:15
Did this happen or was it an urban myth ? In Easthampstead Bracknell, Berkshire ( RG12 7 ) , the story is that a German Messerschmitt crashed at Easthampstead during World War Two, but no-one has any details of the incident.
I am aware of the Junker JU88 bomber which dropped a stick of bombs down the main drive of Easthampstead Park Mansion in October 1940 , this JU88 was brought down near Guildford a few minutes later ... But don't know if this was the same incident.
Also we have researched the two crashes involving British planes in the area but have drawn a blank on the German one. Is anyone able to supply any information or point me in the right direction for further research please? Or is this an urban myth , red herring ? Thank you TFC.
Nigel Parker's Luftwaffe Crash Archive Vol 5/6 covers Luftwaffe losses in the UK October 1940.

TheFrenchConnection
27th Jan 2021, 22:21
Hi TFC, do you have a particular time period of when this might have happened? Was it Battle of Britain or subsequent? Have you tried going through 'official' channels, like aviation museums, such as the RAF Museum or the Kent Battle of Britain Museum at Hawkinge?
Unfortunately no time line ? , just a few older folk talk about this , they ' may ' of seen this as very young children , or their parents may of witnessed this . Just nothing ' concrete ' unfortunately , to date . Have not tried any official channels to yet , thanks TFC.

GeeRam
28th Jan 2021, 20:42

Interesting, as I live close by and often go past there while out for a local walk.

TheFrenchConnection
31st Jan 2021, 20:04
Nigel Parker's Luftwaffe Crash Archive Vol 5/6 covers Luftwaffe losses in the UK October 1940.

Thank you rolling20 :-)

Arclite01
8th Feb 2021, 15:58
Classic

My old boss was on the EOD crews in the RE in the 70's and 80's.

He said they used to get at least 1 call a week from an old person saying 'during the war I remember a bomber dropping bombs and one didn't go off I need to tell you before I die...........'. or someone saying 'I remember an aircraft crashing during the war and several bombs were buried in the wreck..........'

The hours they wasted looking.............................. he spent a week in a field stream once with a MAD (Magnetic Anomaly Detector), guy was convinced there was a bomb in there.(nothing found)

My boss said MAD kind of described it perfectly.

Arc

TCU
9th Feb 2021, 09:06
Nice description of a raid at Lambrook school, Winkfield Row in late 1940. Locals will know Lambrook is about 3km, as the Luftwaffe crow flies, from Easthampstead. I have a property about 100m or so from the site of the 500lb bomb marked on the map, so assume the former owners had some re-glazing to do.

https://www.lambrookschool.co.uk/bombs-over-lambrook/