PDA

View Full Version : skill test for CPL as a "foreign" examiner

Arewerunning
26th Jan 2021, 23:31
Hallo folks,

I am a Flight Examiner and I pretty much do this for a living since I have been "let go" due to COVID pandemic.

I have recently made a notification of test for a designation for a CPL skill test to a southern Europe national authority.

For the first time ever a CAA is refusing to issue an "Individual Authorisation for Assessment of Competence, CPL or IR skill test": I have done this with at least 14 authorities before this one and never had an issue. Do you have any suggestions on how to approach this issue?

Regards
Arewerunning

MrAverage
27th Jan 2021, 08:59
I'd suggest, at least to start with, we need to know more about which country your licence is with and that of your proposed candidate.

Also, where the h.... is Reup?

azdriver
27th Jan 2021, 09:18
I have an Italian examiner certificate and, living in Luxembourg I always do initial license skill test, especially CPL and initial IR with German, French and Belgian Candidates. Never had any problems.

deltahotel
27th Jan 2021, 09:48
UK licence or EASA?

Arewerunning
27th Jan 2021, 09:52
Good morning,

my authority is (omissis) =>EASA
Candidate authority is Italian (ENAC)=>EASA

type of test to be carried out: CPL

Never done it before with Enac, but I have done it multiple times with many EASA authorities and never had a problem.

Thanks for the advise
Arewerunning

Whopity
27th Jan 2021, 12:50
Maybe with the reduced amount of flying they have enough of their own Examiners not to require the services of an itinerate Examiner.

Jhieminga
27th Jan 2021, 14:17
Just a thought, but have you considered having a chat with the local authorities or someone who is influential within the local examiners corps. You are basically fishing in their fishpond and if you're living there, perhaps you could consider moving to a Luxembourg examiner certificate so that you'd be part of the local team. This could be a case of you being seen as an outsider and that's not something you can straighten out by any official procedure.

Klimax
28th Jan 2021, 07:59
Just a thought, but have you considered having a chat with the local authorities or someone who is influential within the local examiners corps. You are basically fishing in their fishpond and if you're living there, perhaps you could consider moving to a Luxembourg examiner certificate so that you'd be part of the local team. This could be a case of you being seen as an outsider and that's not something you can straighten out by any official procedure.

Perhaps this seems like a logical approach. However, the OP is holding an EASA licence and as such there should be no national refusal, without proper legal justification, of him to perform his duty as an examiner. What's the whole point of having a unified authority if you go an cherry pick what you want. No way. Without getting unfriendly with the "local" CAA, I'd suggest finding out the specifics behind the Italian CAA refusal - it could be it's a simple technicality. I sure hope so for the Italians.

BONES_
29th Jan 2021, 09:02
Good morning,

my authority is (omissis) =>EASA
Candidate authority is Italian (ENAC)=>EASA

type of test to be carried out: CPL

Never done it before with Enac, but I have done it multiple times with many EASA authorities and never had a problem.

Thanks for the advise
Arewerunning

Arewerunning, what is your state of licence issue?

deltahotel
29th Jan 2021, 10:10
In accordance with the requirements in ARA.FCL.205(c), before any skill test, proficiency check or assessment of competence is conducted, an examiner shall send the relevant information to the e-mail address [email protected] within the specified notification period and using the instructions and the "notification template" reported in the ENAC website, "info in English" section, examiners page: https://www.enac.gov.it/en/air-safety/personnel-certification/examiners.

Maybe check the template is correctly filled in? Not being funny here, but Italy can be pedantic about this (own experience!).

Good luck

REMAX11
2nd Feb 2021, 10:33
I believe Arewerunning followed the whole procedure required by Enac.

I am not surprised by Enac's licensing department actions: I have heard of another foreign Examiner that, after receving an "Individual Authorisation for Assessment of Competence , CPL or IR skill test" has been removed by Enac and a national examiner has been placed instead (not an inspector but an Examiner).

I believe Enac's actions have nothing to do with EASA requirements but with creating some sort of protection for their own national examiners.

What a shame, and I say this as an italian examiner
rgrds
REMAX11

Klimax
2nd Feb 2021, 16:45
I believe Arewerunning followed the whole procedure required by Enac.

I am not surprised by Enac's licensing department actions: I have heard of another foreign Examiner that, after receving an "Individual Authorisation for Assessment of Competence , CPL or IR skill test" has been removed by Enac and a national examiner has been placed instead (not an inspector but an Examiner).

I believe Enac's actions have nothing to do with EASA requirements but with creating some sort of protection for their own national examiners.

What a shame, and I say this as an italian examiner
rgrds
REMAX11

This should be directly address with relevant authorities within the EU then. Perhaps other EASA countries should remove Italian examiners form their lists. Ridiculous - if indeed a fact.