PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Camera Roll and OneDrive

NWSRG
24th Jan 2021, 15:19
Hi folks,

I've managed to set up both his and her iPhones (new model SEs) to upload all pictures to our OneDrive account. There's a Camera Roll folder there, and that all works tickey-boo.

But if I then delete pictures from either phone, they also delete from the Camera Roll. And if I move them from Camera Roll to another folder, and then delete from either phone, they still get deleted from the new location on OneDrive. Maybe naively, I assumed that uploading to OneDrive was the best way to secure them, and the phone storage could then be cleaned as needed?

Is anyone using iPhone to OneDrive backup, who can adivse how I can delete from the phone but keep on OneDrive?

Thanks in advance...and I ask here, as I can't find a clear answer elsewhere.

BirdmanBerry
24th Jan 2021, 19:04
I never knew you could do this so thanks!

Just Googling suggests if you move them into a different folder after upload then they won't be deleted in OneDrive..

NWSRG
24th Jan 2021, 19:48
I never knew you could do this so thanks!

Just Googling suggests if you move them into a different folder after upload then they won't be deleted in OneDrive..

That's what I thought...but testing it with a few pictures, they were deleted even after moving...that's what has me scratching my head!

Jhieminga
25th Jan 2021, 09:15
There appears to be a discrepancy in that you have setup the phones to sync with Onedrive, what you're looking for is a backup option. Judging by this article: https://support.microsoft.com/en-ie/office/use-onedrive-on-ios-08d5c5b2-ccc6-40eb-a244-fe3597a3c247?ui=en-us&rs=en-ie&ad=ie it should be possible to delete the photos on your phone after setting up the Onedrive upload. Other, smarter inputs required, as I don't have the answer unfortunately.

NWSRG
25th Jan 2021, 09:22
There appears to be a discrepancy in that you have setup the phones to sync with Onedrive, what you're looking for is a backup option.

Thanks Jhieminga, that makes sense...I can see my mistake now. Now, can anyone advise how to switch from sync to backup?

Jhieminga
26th Jan 2021, 12:01
I don't have the definitive answer, but I'm a bit suspect of having two phones linked to the same Onedrive account. I would suggest removing the Onedrive links from both phones, setting up just one phone as described in the link I posted and then see if this performs as intended.

Specaircrew
27th Jan 2021, 10:37
I'm not familiar with iPhones but on my android phone there's an option to delete photos from the 'local device' after successfully synching the 'Gallery'(cameral roll equivalent) with Onedrive . To be honest I've found it more useful to use Google Photos for automatic backup than Onedrive recently.