PDA

View Full Version : Marine-1 Landing gear

Koan
21st Jan 2021, 04:28
Watched live TV of a flight from White House to ADW yesterday.
Is it normal to leave the gear down for such operations ?

thechopper
21st Jan 2021, 10:41
Why not? What goes up must not necessarily come down.

212man
21st Jan 2021, 12:09
Watched live TV of a flight from White House to ADW yesterday.
Is it normal to leave the gear down for such operations ?

Pretty normal for a short sector like that, I'd say. It's only about 10nm

Hot_LZ
21st Jan 2021, 13:30
I’m sure they can afford the 6% in extra fuel consumption 😬.

LZ

TwinHueyMan
21st Jan 2021, 13:35
It’s pinned.

https://verticalmag.com/features/the-nighthawk-fleet-html/

NutLoose
21st Jan 2021, 14:41
I would imagine height comes into it and time the gear takes to drop, no point putting it up if it's going to take longer than an emergency descent and landing to come back down.

21st Jan 2021, 19:42
As twin Huey man points out - it doesn't retract at the moment to save maintenance on the gear.

nomorehelosforme
21st Jan 2021, 23:16
Plenty of short flights in a lesser aircraft(109) with wheels down. Also think the wheels down question has been discussed on here before?

Koan
25th Jan 2021, 10:41
I was thinking maybe (in the worst case scenario) a gear up landing would be more risk than it is worth for a 15nm
flight super VIP flight.

Cyclic Hotline
8th Feb 2021, 21:05
Pinning the landing gear to save on maintenance on an H3/S61 is perhaps the dumbest thing I've ever heard in my entire career. It was obviously dreamt up by some desk-bound non-aviating MBA! Utterly pathetic.

T18
9th Feb 2021, 10:33
Interesting comment Cyclic, what would the flying cost per hour be as a matter of interest?
I’m a lowly fixed wing ppl.
T18

9th Feb 2021, 12:06
Pinning the landing gear to save on maintenance on an H3/S61 is perhaps the dumbest thing I've ever heard in my entire career. It was obviously dreamt up by some desk-bound non-aviating MBA! Utterly pathetic. Could be due to a lack of spares

Bksmithca
9th Feb 2021, 17:11
Pinning the landing gear to save on maintenance on an H3/S61 is perhaps the dumbest thing I've ever heard in my entire career. It was obviously dreamt up by some desk-bound non-aviating MBA! Utterly pathetic.
if you base the costs at 6000 per hour and the suggested 6 percent upcost in fuel burn your looking at 350 dollars. What's the cost of a main gear strut replacement assume as Crab indicated you can find one

jimf671
10th Feb 2021, 10:26
Could be due to a lack of spares

Self-inflicted wound then.

Less Hair
10th Feb 2021, 10:34
Just speculating:
They could want to use the gear bay for some additional equipment and maybe some fixed gear configuration can be made more energy absorbing for VVIP transportation? They never seem to go long distance so the penalty can't be that bad. And costs or spare parts are no consideration.

Droop Snoot
11th Feb 2021, 20:20
Self-inflicted wound then.

Self inflicted only to the extent that you can control the vagaries of a 60 year old supply chain, and the expense and lead time required to qualify a new part or supplier. :ugh:

Tango and Cash
12th Feb 2021, 00:26
Just speculating:
They could want to use the gear bay for some additional equipment and maybe some fixed gear configuration can be made more energy absorbing for VVIP transportation? They never seem to go long distance so the penalty can't be that bad. And costs or spare parts are no consideration.

Cost may not be (probably isn't) a consideration, but spare parts for a 60 year old airframe are likely an issue. And while these may be some of the last H-3s in service, I seriously doubt HMX-1 would allow parts sourced from the boneyard to go anywhere near those aircraft.

12th Feb 2021, 14:48
Yes, when the Royal Flight in UK were still using the venerable Wessex, any parts had to be either new or ISTR at less than 50% of their life. I can't imagine POTUS would be allowed to fly in anything that wasn't rigorously over-engineered.

dangermouse
12th Feb 2021, 18:56
and yet they bought the S92......