PDA

View Full Version : time to start over

Skippy69
17th Jan 2021, 05:55
So throwing it out there,

Currently I'm on the East Coast, stuck in a job that I am hating and am properly over it, the upside, is that the job has payed me well and Ive enough funds to really do whatever I want. at least a couple of months anyway..

Im kind of excited/ convinced that maybe going for broke and doing a small road trip toward the west coast and stopping in at the offices (Adelaide, Alice and Perth + in-between) that take my fancy.. kind of like most of us would have done when chasing that fist GA job, only difference now is that I'm significantly more experienced.. Will definently get a few no's but may just get that opportunity to start back as an ops assistant or something...

Now before the haters come in- I have Turbine and Jet type ratings, so not just a fresh cpl, I've got my Lux and interested to give it another crack.. Somewhat reminiscent of when i did it 6 years ago as a freshy, or maybe the romantic nostalgia has taken over and it will be horrible..

Thoughts and Opinions?

mostlytossas
17th Jan 2021, 08:34
Stay where you are and find another job before throwing your present well paying one away (your statement ). This is no time to go looking for an aviation job with no recent experience. Haven't you heard of the retrenched pilots from Virgin,Tiger etc?
I know what it is like to have a job you hate but get another first because you could be out of work for a very long time otherwise. Or to put it another way don't let your emotions over rule your brain. Just my two bob's worth.

Styx75
17th Jan 2021, 09:50
I did a job i didn't like for much longer then I should have. Sticking to a soul destroying job isn't as popular as it used to be. I quit and that provided motivation to find something I did like doing and haven't regretted it a bit.
But as above, have a plan b cause aviation is in a really bad way now (worse then how bad everyone said it was before covid)

aphexau
25th Jan 2021, 01:08
I am in the same boat, having been stuck on the East Coast for a while working a boring but well-paying job.
Looking to go on an adventure towards the West/North-West in the next month - even if it amounts to nothing, I have the peace of mind that I tried.

Horatio Leafblower
25th Jan 2021, 20:46
Follow your dreams, you're a long time dead.
Life changes quickly and you will not have this option forever. You never know what is around the corner that might take it away from you.
Use your networks and apply for the jobs. Work out what you can reasonably commit to - operators are justifiably wary of hiring ex jet jocks who might bugger off to a more glamorous, higher-paying job at the drop of a hat once COVID is behind us. I know several GA Operators burnt by Qantas pilots "I will be able to give you at least a year" only to find that less than 6 months after stand-down, they are all stood back up again :rolleyes:

Aussie Bob
25th Jan 2021, 20:56
What Horatio said, get going! You don't need permission from a bunch of prunes.