PDA

View Full Version : Two faulty GPU's?

tow1709
15th Jan 2021, 15:26
My son and I built a from-scratch hi-spec PC so that we could run FS2020. Actually, he did all the hard work and I just paid for it!

We had it up and running on Christmas Eve and all seemed fine, but mid pm on Christmas Day on trying to reawaken the machine after lunch, the Motherboard had ceased detecting the GPU, and the Mobo LED lit up to that effect.

We tried everything. We swapped out stuff, uninstalled and reinstalled drivers. The PCI-E cable pinouts from the power supply all show the correct voltages, albeit not under load. An old lower spec GPU (which does not require as much power) works OK in that same PCI-E slot. My son tried the GPU in his own PC but it didn't work there either.

So we concluded the GPU was faulty and arranged for it to go back to suppliers CCL in Birkenshaw, Bradford who took it back without question (3 year warranty) and very quickly sent out a replacement. However, with this one we didn't get it working at all. It appeared to be DOA. The only thing we haven't tried yet is the latest GPU in my son's PC, which we will do over the weekend.

CCL have said they will take the latest one back too, but before I do so just want to check there is nothing I have missed.

Have I been incredibly unlucky in getting two faulty GPU's? It is a GForce RTX 3060Ti, which has only been on the market a few weeks.

Or could something else have partially failed and taken the GPU down with it? Does anyone have a similar experience with this GPU or any other similar one?

Motherboard is MSI MPG X570 + AMD5600X. 650W PSU

NutLoose
15th Jan 2021, 15:59
Just a thought.
How many plugs have you connected to the card? the RTX cards require two or three power leads connecting depending on the model, my RTX 3080 OC has two
How have you connected them, i know some have a splitter lead supplied at the card end, but you also need two separate leads off the power supply, not just a single split lead if that makes sense.

. https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/threads/rtx-3080-power-connection-from-a-single-psu-cable.18899178/

tow1709
15th Jan 2021, 16:18
Nutloose, GPU has one x 6+2 way and one x 6 way power connector. The PSU has two ribbon cables each with two x 6+2 connectors that are daisy-chained together (splitter leads as you termed them). We didn't use the daisy chain connectors, instead we made sure that both of the two ribbon cables were connected when first setting up. So yes configured as you suggested. This was the config it was in when it died.

PR0PWASH
15th Jan 2021, 17:52
First thing to look at is the Power supply, under rated supplies cause all sorts of problems, its not just the total wattage that is important you have to have enough on both the 12 v and the 5 v rails, also cheapo PSUs are not always what they say they are.

PR0PWASH
15th Jan 2021, 17:56
Sorry just looked at your post again, 650 watt is marginal for that setup, I usa a 1000watt, 850 would do you

tow1709
15th Jan 2021, 18:35
Prop, thanks for your contribution. The PSU is a Corsair TX 650M, which my son assured me was a good make and adequate to the task. But we will look into this possibility.

NutLoose
16th Jan 2021, 05:34
I took a 650 out and put an 850 in mine, same make as yours for both, but mine is a 3080 OC but I never tried it with the 650. Corsair are as your lad says is up there with the best power supplies.

Nvidia recommend a 600 power supply for the card, see

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/rtx-3060-ti-power-supply.275443/

so the one you have should be ok, but it does depend on what it’s powering, ie lots of items.

tow1709
16th Jan 2021, 06:37
I've tried three different online calculators for sizing PSU's. One came out with 445 W, the other two between 390 and 400 W, so I am reasonably confident the PSU (650 W) is up to the job.

FlightDetent
16th Jan 2021, 08:01
Having one collapse and the other DOA sounds thin odds. Guess you'll need to test the replacement in the other PC as planned prior to any further actions. MoBo stuffed is another possibility, testing with an old(er) card might be inconclusive. Especially for a mechanical problem with the slot.

Nothing you already did not know by the sound of your post, wish you success.

The troubleshooting routine in a repair shop would be to take everything out of the case. Lay the parts on top of thick cardboard + foam, antistatic bracelet, and do an open-heart surgery. Not only is this a huge time-saver w.r.t. the multipe re-assembly efforts when swapping parts, but imperfect mounting to the case fooled quite a few before. Exchanging PSUs (or at least different rails/leads) becomes a quick task as well, which should the next step be on your list anyway.

EDIT: Given the cost for the GPU and your own description of what's been tried, IMHO you are well beyond the point of letting some local pro earn his bread.

Momoe
16th Jan 2021, 09:15
Concur with FlightDetent, you've followed a logical fault analysis and eliminated most factors; I would ask CCL if they found a fault on the original GPU, this would at least confirm your suspicions and alleviate any uncertainty you have in your analysis.

Be interested to see if the new GPU works in your sons PC.

tow1709
16th Jan 2021, 16:25
CCL did confirm by phone that the first GPU was faulty. However, the problem appears to be solved. The new card worked in my son's PC so it had to be PSU or motherboard. We did a partial dismantle then removed and did a continuity test on the two PCIE power leads plus a no-load volts test on the PSU output sockets. All was OK. Reassembled, tried again and it worked!

Unless there is an intermittent fault somewhere, the only logical cause must be that we were not plugging the "+2" part of the 8 way power connector into the GPU properly, although son and I had both done it two or three times each. The "6-way" parts latched into place properly, but the "2-way" parts having been detached don't then have a latch and maybe we had not been fully inserting it.

Anyway, my thanks to those who responded. Lesson learned - always check the connectors are properly inserted, then double check.

I can try a bit of simulated flying now!

NutLoose
17th Jan 2021, 04:46
Now what you want is a set of VR goggles, it all then becomes full 3D and you ARE in a cockpit, it’s surreal.... MSFS user with Rift S.

good to know we were on the right track as in power leads though, lessons learnt.