PDA

View Full Version : European flying/hangaring

Fly_Pips
13th Jan 2021, 12:49
Hello,

Quick question, when you fly to another country with the intention to stay for a while, where do you keep the plane? Do you have to rent a hanger per day etc?

TheOddOne
13th Jan 2021, 16:24
The vast majority of aircraft are kept outside, whether it's an Airbus or a Cessna 172. There are a few locations, mostly very exposed to bad weather, where it is cost-effective to hangar aircraft. Most fabric-covered aircraft deteriorate quickly when left outside, so it is cheaper to pay the considerable cost of hangarage. Typically, in the London area, hangarage can be up to £5,000 a year for a single engine aircraft, though cheaper in more rural area. At most GA airfields, you will see rows and rows of aircraft such as Pipers and Cessnas tied down outside, with maybe 10 or 20 vintage types in the hangar.
Hanagarge is rarely available by the day (or night) as most hangars are full with a waiting list. You might get lucky if a based hangared aircraft is away and the hangar operator is prepared to accommodate you, but don't depend upon it. When touring abroad in a metal aircraft like a Piper or Cessna, be prepared to tie down overnight. Most aircraft are equipped with special rings under the wings, at known hard points, to which straps can be attached to blocks in the ground.

TOO

Jan Olieslagers
13th Jan 2021, 21:46
There is no general answer, it depends on the field. Some will not allow outside parking, some will impose. Planning planning planning.

(and by the way, excuse the nitpicking between a hanger - let alone a man's hangers :) - and a hangar, which I suppose was meant)

Floppy Link
14th Jan 2021, 14:50
Our summer trip to Sweden and back 2018 was lovely weather, we just left it out at Rochester, Groningen, Lübeck and Kortrijk.
Siljansnas it was in a hangar for a few days. Our hangar, but the aeroklubb could have squeezed us in if we asked nicely...

Piper.Classique
14th Jan 2021, 20:43
I usually manage to get a place inside by asking nicely. Probably helps having a classic fabric taildragger. Sometimes I have tip park outside on tie downs in which case I use control locks as well.

Fly_Pips
15th Jan 2021, 17:47
Thank you so much for the answers.

Is it generally free to park/tie down outside?

and how safe is an aircraft left like this?

Maoraigh1
15th Jan 2021, 19:00
"you fly to another country with the intention to stay for a while,"
With a wood-and-fabric tailwheel Jodel, I've twice flown round Ireland, with hangarage at only 2 places. Tie down, even if wet, isn't a problem if flown next day. They were flying holidays. So back to dry hangar soon.
I'd be unwilling to do that if I was "staying for a while", depending on what that meant.

UNpeople
15th Jan 2021, 19:42
If parked just overnight or a couple of nights, I don't see any problem tying down outside in addition to the precautionary measures, like covering up pitot tube and static holes. A humid hangar is in fact worse than open air parking.

Fly_Pips
16th Jan 2021, 10:30
Thanks for the replies.

By a while, I meant anything from 1day to 2 weeks.

Is it generally free to tie down and leave outside?

Jan Olieslagers
16th Jan 2021, 15:34
Forget "generally". There are fields where outside tie-downs aren't even allowed. The better airfield database will have a field to show availability of over-night parking, and availability of hangarage. Be aware though that such information is not always kept up-to-date actively, whatever you find requires confirmation by direct contact. In some countries - I think of Italy, but there may well be more - only a phone call will work, and often only in local language.

You need to talk to the operator of any fields you consider to visit, it doesn't get easier or simpler than that.

atakacs
16th Jan 2021, 16:46
Just wondering: is it doable to have your own "buble" tent flown ? Or are those way to heavy / cumbersome to setup ?

Maoraigh1
16th Jan 2021, 19:42
At a commercial airfield, expect to pay for parking, probably not cheap.
At a strip, it depends on the operator, and available space.
Will you be available if the weather turns bad?
I spent most of a day standing beside our Jodel, 15 miles from our hangar, while severe thunderstorms with hail passed, all missing us but closing our base airfield.
If the airfield management agree, the portable hanger, carried by your accompanying Chinook or Skycrane is the ideal solution.