PDA

View Full Version : Air Ambulance callsign

acheo
11th Jan 2021, 14:32
Hi,

What is the call sign you are using for an air ambulance operation in your respective countries? In North America, for a life-critical flight we call it MEDEVAC but I know it might be different in Europe. I may have heard the term HOSPITAL flight.

thanks

spekesoftly
11th Jan 2021, 17:55
In the UK, Air Ambulance helicopters use the call sign HELIMED, followed by two digits.

See link below:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_ambulances_in_the_United_Kingdom

acheo
11th Jan 2021, 20:06
We were told the UK is no longer accepting MEDEVAC for air ambulance flight but I was not able confirm that. Any input is greatly appreciated.

DaveReidUK
11th Jan 2021, 20:26
In the UK, Air Ambulance helicopters use the call sign HELIMED, followed by two digits.

Corresponding ICAO designator is HLE.

bingofuel
11th Jan 2021, 20:48
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1776x1336/8cd01dde_e207_4dc0_ae77_04afd898bd71_b81ef32fb7a36f9cad45a51 49a59e28ac4a469e6.png

NaFenn
12th Jan 2021, 00:55
In Australia there are several different companies that provide medical transport services. Hospital and Medivac are used to indicate the status/priority of flight.

In Western Australia there is the Royal Flying Doctor Service (Fly-Doc) and the RAC Rescue Helicopters (Rescue). Other states have Air Ambulance services by different operators (Ambulance VIC/NSW, Careflight). For all emergency services aircraft 3 numbers are issued, the first number indicating the state the aircraft is based/contracted to (I believe these are correct but stand to be corrected: 1 - ACT/National Aerial Firefighting Centre, 2 - NSW, 3 - VIC, 4 - QLD, 5 - SA/NT, 6 - WA).

acheo
13th Jan 2021, 14:02
But what is your call sign when you call ATC? Do you say MEDEVAC or AMBULATORY SERVICE or else?

CoinBitmuT
21st Jan 2021, 20:38
There will be a demo day held near Yearsley woods on the 29th of june from 10am till 4pm with bikes from Avanti, Bionicon and Liteville. There will be guided rides leaving through the day and a barbeque. All proceeds go to air ambulance

Jim59
21st Jan 2021, 23:32
But what is your call sign when you call ATC? Do you say MEDEVAC or AMBULATORY SERVICE or else?

I think an ambulatory service is a walking service - not a flying one...

EXEL1966
25th Jan 2021, 10:33
Hi,

What is the call sign you are using for an air ambulance operation in your respective countries? In North America, for a life-critical flight we call it MEDEVAC but I know it might be different in Europe. I may have heard the term HOSPITAL flight.

thanks

Excl. Helis, In the UK and I believe the extended EU area, as a whole Ambulance/Medevac/Hospital flights are not required to use specific callsigns containing any reference to being any kind of medical flight, Most will use their own company callsign, one or two will put AMB at the end of the callsign, though that's not mandatory.

'Medical' Flights are denoted by what is contained within Field 18 (Remarks) of the FPL. Example STS/HOSP is very common within the UK or MEDEVAC can be used, but this is exceptionally rarely used in the UK/EU by civillian operators. Military occasionally use it but it is generally North American terminology. HOSP/MEDEVAC will not form any part of the radio callsign.

Privilages are NOT automatically granted to 'Medical' flights in terms of exemptions, however ATC will be aware of the filed status (STS) due the above and provide 'special/priority handling' as required according to the laid out rules.

DaveReidUK
25th Jan 2021, 21:54
Excl. Helis

But aren't the vast majority of air ambulance flights flown by helicopters?

zonoma
27th Jan 2021, 10:11
In the UK, if a flight is being conducted that is being operated by a standard company (so not Helimed) then the area and terminal control controllers have a free text field on their flight details that will say either "MEDIVAC" or "STS/HOSP". I will routinely ask on first contact if they are operating an active hospital flight and alert the next controller if so, aiming to get a short cut etc. A couple of the companies who regularly fly such flights are very switched on and can give us the detail required, either "time critical flight" or "positioning for a time critical flight" can often be said. I'm sure other controllers see and hear other tings too, these are just what I can remember myself.

EXEL1966
28th Jan 2021, 19:25
But aren't the vast majority of air ambulance flights flown by helicopters?

Two differing areas of Air Ambulance flights. The Helis acting as a quick reaction response to ongoing accidents and incidents. Flight plans will not be filed for these as they're generally moving patients to nearby hospitals only, operating low level predominantly VFR and therefore don't have the need for STS. Then there's the fixed wing longer flights using STS/HOSP (predominantly exec type aircraft, Lerjets King Airs, Challengers, Hawkers) on their FPL to which there are plenty on a daily basis here in the UK, let alone the EU or further afield.
Medical repatriations are probably more common than you think particularly at this time of the year in normal circumstances. The vast majority of these flights in the UK will be organised by medical insurance companies and authorised by AUS/SaRG.

In the US alone there are hundreds of daily MEDEVAC, previously LIFEGUARD flights conducted by fixed wing aircraft. There are currently 32 non-heli MEDEVAC flights in the air in the US as I type.

jmmoric
29th Jan 2021, 08:50
A lot of the STS/HOSP and MEDEVAC flights, the fixed wing ones, are using their normal company callsign, and some callsigns sounds "medevacky".