PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair (and other) recent TV ads irresponsible?

gunning
11th Jan 2021, 10:15
Recent TV ads in the UK by Ryanair (primarily) have the tagline "Jab & Go" and are advertising European flights from Easter onwards.

The vaccination programme in the UK is targeting those most vulnerable to Covid-19, i.e. the elderly, sick and vital health workers. These should (in theory) have their first inoculation by the end of February, which wouild mean they ought to achieve , let's say, 70% protection against infection by end March. This may not mean they cannot carry or transmit the disease. A second inoculation for this group should (in theory) be achieved by end May, so higher immunity leveals by and June. Younger adults won't receive vaccinations until the second half of 2021, which means they won't have immunity until the autumn at the earliest. Children won't be vaccinated at all.

I suspect most potential holidaymakers targeted by the Ryanair ads will be in the younger age group. Given that, isn't it misleading to suggest that vaccination will allow those to travel safely in 2021? Will other countries allow unvaccinated adults & children to enter? Will the UK allow unvaccinated adults & children to return without long quarantine?

It seems to me that such advertisements will encourage people to buy tickets that they won't be able to use; then we will have another group complaining about not geting refunds for flights they couldn't take.

I know times are tough for the airlines, but rather than encourage wishful thinking about the end of the pandemic, they should accept that 2021 at least will be a desperate year for them and accept reality.