PDA

View Full Version : Noise Cancelling Headphones

PAXboy
19th Aug 2002, 00:26
I pinched this topic from DuncanF in another thread in this forum

I bought a pair of Sony NC headphones in New York a couple of years ago. VERY pleased with them and use them on trains as well.

Has anyone else other makes and observations?

Llademos
19th Aug 2002, 13:30
I have some Sony ones - excellent for the money ($90-100), especially for listening to the quieter music on the IFE.

The only other alternatives I have seen are Bose, at $299, which are meant to be the bees knees (and, at that price, should be!)

gofer
19th Aug 2002, 16:14
Was looking for noise cancelling & didn't want ear bungs.

Found these that seem to have similar specs to the Sony's and go for around US$ 59.95. Found them in a store in HK actually. Have also seen Panasonics in BKK airport I think.

Tried the Aiwa's on a medium haul recently (CX from HKG to BOM) and must say - not bad at all - even the engine of the 777 about 10 yards away just went quiet - certainly cut out around the 10 Decibels stated. :) I wonder if the BOSE's are any better - coz $ 299 is somewhat steep by comparison.

Happy to compare these with anyone elses if the want - mail me.:cool:

redsnail
19th Aug 2002, 16:18
Got the Sony ones. :D
Not perfect in high wind conditions (ie walking along a street) but better than nothing.

Self Loading Freight
20th Aug 2002, 11:01
Anyone know of a London (or UK online) stockist of the Sonys? Or a US online shop that'll get them to me before September?

R

PAXboy
20th Aug 2002, 21:10
Having bought mine in NYC, I can only suggest trying www.sony.co.uk and then using the DEALER LOCATOR tab and you can search by post code or town name for your location.

The site may also be able to help you locate them. However, because of their price, I have only occasionally seen any manufacturer's product of NC phones in the shops.

PS A search of Noise Cancelling Headphones (searching on full string only) brought a good number of references. Inevitably, most of them in the US but it shows that Panasonic, Sennheiser, Toshiba and Maxell are selling them as well as Sony and Bose. The unit that I have is the Sony MDRNC5 and I am very pleased with them. The battery lasts a long time, they are comfortable to wear and fold up very neatly. It also comes with an adapter for the two pronged outlet that you get on some machines, like the LH Airbus 340 I was on recently. Amazon.com (that is the USA operation) is selling at $99.99 but Amazon.co.uk do not have them. You can always ask. They are a responsive company.

Land After
21st Aug 2002, 00:58
Bought in a moment of bonus weakness when I was unable to track down the Sony model - the only other ones on the market at the time. I'm happy with them - they worked well on the long transatlantics that I used to do on a regular basis. I manage to sleep in them, they cut out most of the cabin noise with the NR on and the audio plug out.

I guess they give the equivalent reduction of my David Clarks, but without the size, weight or silly mic bit that may just stand out in the cabin

BA did feature the Sony set in the inflight duty free over a year ago - not sure if they're still there.

PAXboy
21st Aug 2002, 11:44
Yes, I agree about leaving NC on and not playing audio. I sometimes do that on departure/approach in turbo-props. The CC scowl at me for having electronic apps on but I wave the end of the cable at them to show that it is not connected.

I understand that VS provided the Sony units for Upper Class (collecting them afterwards, of course!) but have not been in Upper for a couple of years. I am using them in October and will be interested to see if they still have the NC phones.

redsnail
21st Aug 2002, 19:37
Sony NC head sets can be found at Dixon's. Cheapest place to buy them I have found was on a BA flight!! 70 quid v's 100 quid. (That was at the beginning of the year though)

malanda
23rd Aug 2002, 02:39
I've recently noticed another brand being advertised in the UA/DL/AA in-flight mags for $159-ish. They claim to be the quietest on the market . They look lighter(less cosy) than Boses. Sadly I can't remember the make (so it's not that good an advert).

I'm flying with UA again tomorrow so I'll check it out in more detail

malanda
24th Aug 2002, 19:12
Further to my last posting, the new ones being advertised in US in-flight mags are Sennheiser, and cost $149.95.

Details at http://www.sennheiserusa.com/pages/products/aviation/hdc451.htm

Spec says 10dB noise reduction at low frequencies - doesn't sound like much to me. Any know the Bose spec.

ps. I'd just like to say thank you those nice bmi people for lending me set of Boses last night.

gofer
25th Aug 2002, 01:40
So far I've not found a bit of a spec. as to the reduction in noise for the BOSE. I mean why would they publish, when you know you are the best and charge accordingly, your customers just know they have not bought lower quality rubbish (??? mmmmm).

10 dB doesnt sound much I know, till you remember that its either a logarithmic or exponential scale. So very roughly 80dB is half of 90dB or something like that. All those who give figures talk of 10dB.

Look at it another its a very small battery to take out a heck of a lot of noise. Enjoy

DuncanF
25th Aug 2002, 09:33
Has anyone tried these (http://www.etymotic.com/) from Etymotic Research? I have a pair of their 20dB plugs for use at Grands Prix etc.. They work well - you can still talk to other without getting deafened by the cars.

They quote some figures for the ER-6 against other brands (Bose, Sony) here (http://www.etymotic.com/images/PDF/er6info.pdf). I know a few musicians who swear by these on stage.