PDA

View Full Version : Star Air B767 Freighter Callsigns

Musket90
6th Jan 2021, 19:44
I notice this evening on FR24 a couple of Star Air B767-2 freighters operating BFS and EDI to EMA are showing Titan Airways flight prefix (AWC). Is this because of CAA requirements post leaving EU and UK domestic flights ?

SpringHeeledJack
7th Jan 2021, 06:52
I'd say that that is as good a conclusion as any. They continue to operate normal schedules until things settle down, or they get a UK AOC.

dixi188
7th Jan 2021, 13:28
There used to be a lot of this sort of thing about 20 years ago, before some EU treaty or other.
I remember using Channex, Heavylift, Eurotrans, Speedbird, Nitro, Qualitay, Whitestar, depending who had the route license for the operation.
Now we are out I guess it's back to that.
I never quite understood why the EU allowed N reg. aircraft with American crews to operate internal European cargo flights. (Fedex and UPS).

SpringHeeledJack
7th Jan 2021, 15:26
I never quite understood why the EU allowed N reg. aircraft with American crews to operate internal European cargo flights. (Fedex and UPS).

I think that it's grossly unfair to EU and UK crews and airlines, but they get away with it as the flights originate and finish in the US and Uncle Sam has some right to operate that 'we' don't in the US. It should be EU/UK crews and regd aircraft for the euro sectors and just N-reg for the US-STN/CDG/CGN etc.

Pistonprop
8th Jan 2021, 10:19
Except that (with Fedex for sure) they have European based N registered B757s.

Boeing Jet
8th Jan 2021, 10:47
American Express One International 727's used to operate different sectors inside Europe, during the 90's got to fly with them a few times!

crewmeal
9th Jan 2021, 09:53
It's a shame thery don't carry on the Maersk tradition of using "Blue star" as a call sign.

dixi188
9th Jan 2021, 12:07
It's a shame thery don't carry on the Maersk tradition of using "Blue star" as a call sign.
IIRC it was "White Star."
Blue background with a white star.

DaveReidUK
9th Jan 2021, 15:22
Whitestar belonged to Maersk subsidiary Star Air. Bluestar was Maersk Air UK.

Maersk Air themselves used the stunningly unoriginal callsign Maerskair. :O

bar none
9th Jan 2021, 15:51
There used to be a lot of this sort of thing about 20 years ago, before some EU treaty or other.
I remember using Channex, Heavylift, Eurotrans, Speedbird, Nitro, Qualitay, Whitestar, depending who had the route license for the operation.
Now we are out I guess it's back to that.
I vaguely seem to recall in the dim and distant past that when Bermuda 2 air bilateral was agreed in 1977 as part of the deal to allow the increased access of UK carriers to US cities and vice versa the Americans insisted that US cargo carriers had unlimited traffic rights ex the UK despite UK carriers not being able to fly within the USA.I suspect that this still applies today.

hec7or
9th Jan 2021, 16:06
Whitestar belonged to Maersk subsidiary Star Air. Bluestar was Maersk Air UK.

Maersk Air themselves used the stunningly unoriginal callsign Maerskair. :O
Except there was no such company as Maersk Air UK, it was Maersk Air Limited (Wikipedia has got it wrong)
The name Air UK belonged to another airline and so Maersk couldn't use it in the title.