PDA

View Full Version : Hong Kong dying

controlledrest
6th Jan 2021, 06:56
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-55555299

Another major step towards the end of Hong Kong. The sooner Beijing is smacked down the better. Hong Kong was one of the great Asian cities, but now every day it gets closer to being just another Chinese :mad:. Anyone who joins CX in the future thinking they will get a career isn't a fit and proper person. Anyone young enough to get out when other jobs come available would be mad not to leave.

Bueno Hombre
6th Jan 2021, 08:17
Smack down Beijing ? You must be joking . Political power comes from not only the barrel of a gun but also from nuclear weapons and 3 million cyber workers. Better get used to it.

Walkingthedog
6th Jan 2021, 08:35
I wouldn’t trust the BBCs objectivity anymore. Their reporting has become less and less neutral over the years.
They start off reporting the facts as they seen them and then tack on the USAs message at the end of the piece.

triple7driver
6th Jan 2021, 08:52
Exactly. Their biased reporting of the protests last year was a real eye opener...

controlledrest
6th Jan 2021, 09:45
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/05/world/asia/hong-kong-arrests-national-security-law.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/law-and-crime/article/3116573/dozens-hong-kong-opposition-lawmakers-activists

Ok, discount the BBC (your comments are close to the arse clown Trump's 'fake news' lies). But open your own eyes. The CCP is nothing but evil.

Sam Ting Wong
6th Jan 2021, 09:51
Ask yourself how many countries or cities in Asia are "free" in the Western sense. Japan, Taiwan, maybe Korea, that's it. Then look at all the pre-Covid) fast growing and emerging countries like U.A.E., Singapore, Qatar, Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia, India, Vietnam etc. None of them has Western human rights standards.

The job market for pilots and the future of Cathay do not depend necessarily on the political freedom of Hong Kong, but on the economy and more specifically on the aviation sector. As sad as the demise of freedom rights in HK is, the city is far from "dying" but changing.

The ascent of China and Asia has just begun, and with a loyal government in charge HK will have the continous support of Beijing. I believe Hong Kong will be one of the richest and most prosperous cities of the 21th century, globally, not only in China. Whether expats will be or want to be a part of it is a different story.

Walkingthedog
6th Jan 2021, 10:39
controlledrest

And the USA has instigated more conflicts since WW2 than any other nation.

Klimax
6th Jan 2021, 10:58
Hong Kong is dead. You might as well be in Beijing - no much different in reality terms.

Sam Ting Wong
6th Jan 2021, 11:00
Beijing isn't dead either, quite the opposite actually

osborne
6th Jan 2021, 11:57
Hong Kong is not dying, but changing, thanks to the "students" who messed it up.

It was a very special, unique, place for so many of us. I wish the locals well.

Progress Wanchai
6th Jan 2021, 12:23
It pains me to say it but the BBC doesn’t have to stray far from their front door to observe a failing society.

Winston Churchill once commented that democracy is the worst form of government except for all the others. You’d have to wonder what Winston would think of today’s democracies with their populist politicians who are swayed by whichever way the 24/7 news media and social media winds are blowing on any given day. Where democratically elected governments tear themselves down over any number of social issues from climate change to historical unions to gay rights to religious freedoms to trade agreements.

Then there’s the complete death of fiscal responsibility where money printing is the only answer to keep the house of cards from completely collapsing. This is countered by an opposition that promises the electorate that they’ll print even more. Short term this satisfies generation now, but long term it’s only increasing the wealth divide as asset prices increase and relatively speaking wages fall when valued against a worthless currency

There’s little doubt Hong Kong is on a slippery slope, but who isn’t?

Hot 'n' High
6th Jan 2021, 12:42
Klimax

TBH, I'm totally amazed HK has stayed the way it has for as long as it has! Anyone who could believe in the "deal" struck with China at the handover really wasn't looking at China with any realism. It's a bit like striking a "deal" with Russia - or Iran - or..........! Even so-called "allies" can prove fickle - it's called politics and nationalism!

Any major power change anywhere where you radically change the style of Government will lead to changes, particularly grafting a city of 7.4M having enjoyed one political system onto a country of 1443.9M with a totally different system - irrespective of any accords, agreements, deals etc. History is littered with changes that "surprised" the West when things turned out differently when, in fact, the writing was on the wall from before the changes took place. HK is no different. But the West is always surprised!

HK won't die - but it sure will change. I share Sam Ting Wongs' views - based on having 2 step-sons who worked in Beijing for a number of years, married local girls (their Mum did go a bit "ape" when that happened - until she got over herself and actually met the girls!) and one is now back in London but very much still linked to China with work and may head back that way. Will HK be like it was just after the transition? No - and no surprise at all. It will be Chinese and will take its place along with all other Cities in China and China itself will jostle for position in the World Order along with all the rest of us. I'll not see how that pans out over the next 50 years ..... not unless I come back from the other side to haunt the kids that is!

As STW says, "Whether expats will be or want to be a part of [the new HK] is a different story.". My kids got on really well - but they knew to play by the local rules and accepted that they will forever be "outsiders" - but have been equally stunned by the genuine hospitality and friendship they have met in China over the years.

Asturias56
6th Jan 2021, 12:42
I'm surprised people thought /think that HK was going to go along as a separate entity. The whole point of taking it over was to (eventually ) reintegrate it into China - it's now 23 years since the British left and in many ways the PRC resembles HK rather than the other way round.

When you're an ex-pat you know you're living on borrowed time - eventually the locals will take over - you can either leave of join them............

Flying Hi
6th Jan 2021, 12:44
Bueno Hombre

Quite so. Tell you what, lets slap them down good and hard by not buying ANYTHING Made In China. See how long yiu last.

Asturias56
6th Jan 2021, 15:33
Well there goes the Apple business..................

Oasis
6th Jan 2021, 16:26
Apple is moving some production to vietnam.

Klimax
6th Jan 2021, 16:30
Hot 'n' High

Freedom of speech and the freedom to speak, hold free and fair elections, the right of appeal in the legal system. The freedom to do what you want in life - it is being taken away from the Hong Kong people - as Hong Kong is becoming "just another Chinese city". Anyone who choses money over freedom - can go to Hong Kong as an expat - it's much harder for the the local population, in particular those of the younger generation, to just leave their home. It's now irrevocable that the change is no longer just a change as is - but a clear pathway to become just another polluted Chines city. It is really sad.

fitliker
6th Jan 2021, 17:21
What country has those freedoms you speak of ?

KARNAK66
6th Jan 2021, 17:45
Very sad, Hong Kong was one of my favourite cities,used to stay at the PARK HOTEL in Kowloon.loved taking the ferry accross and visiting the fish restaurant.
However, having been pretty all over mainland .
WHAT DO ONE EXPECT in relation to beautifull HKG
THANKS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR TO MODS AND ALL COLLEGUES.

Hot 'n' High
6th Jan 2021, 18:23
Klimax, trust me - I absolutely 100% agree with you. It really is sad! My only point is that it was inevitable. For even the local HK people, they also ended up "living a dream" under the shadow of the Union Jack - and, when the handover came, the UK thought - yet again - it would be "different" and sold it as such to expats - and to the locals. A total and utter lack of British political honesty - again!

My family left Rhodesia in 1970. We knew how it would end - the 3 local lads working for us knew how it would end - and they implored us to stay. To this day, I wonder how they got on - I'm ashamed as I don't know - but we let those 3 (and, of course, the 3 families they supported) down but saved our skins - and lost everything we had when we got on that plane with nothing but our British Passports and a suitcase each - and survived thanks to extended family who supported us initially once in the UK. Once Rhodesia was handed over, your likelihood of living - or dying - depended on your Tribe - period. Ask those who died as they plunged down mine shafts thanks to Mugabe and his "tribe". Not White Brits here - but Zimbabweans whose families had lived there for 1,000s of years - murdered by their own!

Despite what may befall HK and the locals, I suspect they'll fare far better than those in the "new" Zimbabwe - of who's regime, even the Chinese have been very wary of during their "colonization" of Africa over the past few decades! That's quite telling! I mean no offence - and wish those caught up in this all the best - but fighting it can be a dangerous game if you have no chance of winning - better to employ your skills and energy to make the best of the hand of cards that fate (& the UK government) has dealt you. As my kids proved, it is more than possible to survive in China. You just need to re-write the rules you live by. Better that than the bottom of a mine shaft in Africa.......

A320 Glider
6th Jan 2021, 19:59
As the Western World and Organizations are struggling to battle through this deliberately released Chinese virus, a more sinister play is at hand. China are now bulldozing their way through HK and the S. China Sea and everyone else is too distracted with their countries and economies in freefall!

Unfortunately the majority of people will not see this until it is too late.

Of course the media are aware of this but they are being paid nicely by China to continue to stir the racist (USA) and covid (Europe) cauldrons.

Does anybody on here remember the Yellow Vest Protests in France for the past few years? Not really. Media. Blackout.

But hey, maybe I am crazy.

Sam Ting Wong
6th Jan 2021, 20:39
Yes, you are.

highflyer40
6th Jan 2021, 20:56
controlledrest

Good luck smacking down the worlds second largest economy. Soon to be the largest economy, and hence then taking the spot from the US as the “worlds policeman”.

To be fair they would probably do a better job than the Americans did as long as you are the ones looking in and not the ones looking out.

highflyer40
6th Jan 2021, 21:01
Apple is moving some production to vietnam.

And China is also moving quite a lot of its production to Vietnam as well. Cheaper labour. International companies and their manufacturers are just moving from one once cheap labour country to a now cheaper labour country.

LapSap
6th Jan 2021, 22:33
Hot 'n' High

You left out ‘money’.
That’s all they care about.
SMT said it himself; “I believe Hong Kong will be one of the richest and most prosperous cities of the 21th century, globally, not only in China.”
If you think life is about living on the top floor of a 60 story building, having a DH carry your kid’s school bag for them, owning a Ferrari that has never averaged more than 40kph, having a 50ft yacht that you haven’t seen for 3 years, then knock yourself out- stay in Hong Kong China.
If you value the simpler things in life, then I suggest you get out now.

mngmt mole
6th Jan 2021, 22:34
highflyer40

Well, some of the cheapest pilot labour in the world is now right here in good old HK.

ramble on
7th Jan 2021, 03:04
China is quietly spreading its strong and sticky web through Australia, Africa, Sri Lanka, Fiji and Vanuatu.....

LapSap
7th Jan 2021, 04:06
Yep!
Not so much Belt and Road, more like Noose and Shackles.
Can’t pay? The debt collectors are coming.

Deltasierra010
7th Jan 2021, 08:04
Regardless of wether it is Africa, Australia the UK or anywhere else getting into debt with China is going to end badly, its caused by shortsighted often corrupt politicians failing to develop national industries for short term gain or popularity. We are dealing with a Chinese Dictatorship intent on global economic takeover and we are letting it happen, even encouraging it, when we should be developing our own industry and technology. Cheap deals in the short term destroys home enterprise, when you have the ability to produce thats when the price goes up

Student protests only accelerated the speed that China absorbed HK, it was going to happen and no one outside was going to do more than mild protest.

Deltasierra010
7th Jan 2021, 08:05
- lost the ability to produce

Klimax
7th Jan 2021, 08:07
Hot 'n' High

I feel for your family history and those of the three families you remember. At the end of the day one has to survive - and sacrifices has to be made - you know this better than I do, I’m privileged in comparison.

However, I believe it’s important to strive to compare with stronger and successful democracies and not corrupted undemocratic regimes like the Chinese one and more and more so the Hong Kong one. It’s a natural human instinct to look at those worse off and then feel ok, but it’s ultimately not a healthy one. Admire freedom and democracy - Hong Kong has fallen down the wrong path.

Klimax
7th Jan 2021, 08:09
Nailed it!

Hot 'n' High
7th Jan 2021, 08:31
LapSap, you do have a point re "being driven by money" - like parts of all societies to some extent - but that is but one aspect of national development.

So, for example, will China wish to "normalise HK" and blend it more into mainland China? In a way, it's a bit embarrassing politically having a "legacy jewel" so they may wish to make an example of the place - a message for those on the margins of China who might be looking towards independence - such as Tibet. The protests we have seen will simply have strengthened Chinese resolve in that department. It also depends if the Chinese elite wish to maintain their own private "getaway" on the coast. And how will HK, in the longer term, fit in to overall Chinese economic development; how HK developed before the handover is no indication of how it will move forward from here. As noted by some, China is now off-loading production elsewhere on cost grounds so the economy itself is starting to morph. And there is the whole "The South China Sea's Gathering Storm" Thread in "Military Aviation" which makes HK just an "annoyance", the solution to which will pale into insignificance compared to what else is going on in the region.

I really don't know. However, in closing, I return to my view that, in setting up the transition arrangements, the UK implied things would happen in a certain way when it was quite clear that another path would be followed. Either the UK Government were naive - or they simply lied. TBH, with the UK, it's hard to know which!!!! :hmm:

Hot 'n' High
7th Jan 2021, 19:35
Update - I see Sam Ting Wongs' post to which I refer has gone - I'll leave this post in place - Mods, please delete if now superfluous.

Sam Ting Wong, I apologise as my comments were not intended to be condescending nor hypocritical - maybe "sad despair mixed with weariness". What those people did as individuals is, as you say, to be highly commended and extremely brave, just as Tiananmen Square was 3 decades ago, and countless other examples over the years, Tibet being yet another good example.

The point I was making (badly it seems) is that the response of the HK protesters was, I suspect, based on what they believed would happen during and after the transition. That vision was generated by what Britain believed it had negotiated with China ahead of the withdrawal. But was that "vision" realistic in the first place? We have many cases where Britain has assumed things would work out in a certain way when, in fact, from those on the ground, it was quite obvious that a disaster was opening up. Zimbabwe is a classic case where they thought one thing would happen where those on the ground knew what the true result would be when Mugabe seized power. The result was cataclysmic - and predictable - for the entire population - and the West did nothing. And that was against a tin-pot Dictator where no-one actually knows how many were dumped down mineshafts. Lets say 100,000 which falls in the lower end of the estimates I've come across - and that's before you even consider the Zimbawean economy - if that's what you call it - and those who have died of avoidable famine and political thuggery.

If, as I believe, the HK handover agreement for 50 years was destined to unravel earlier based on China's "form", then the valiant struggles of the protesters is based on being sold an unachievable dream in the first place. That is the great sadness. Of course, "we are where we are" and there are rallying cries about it - Lord Patten said today/yesterday that "if the EU went ahead with the economic deal with China, which has not yet been ratified by the European parliament, it would make a 'mockery' of Europe's ambitions to be taken seriously as a global and economic player.". So that has to be backed up by action or else it is yet more hollow words.

My frustration is not with the poor protesters - but with what I believe was an unrealistic goal from the outset - that the "one country, two systems" would remain until 2047. My argument is that the protesters were let down and that a more realistic acceptance by Britain back in the 80's and early 90's of how a more rapid transition should have been managed was not pursued - the 50 year deal seems very much like "kicking a can down the road" until it becomes another generations problem. Beijing signed to get a signature - that was it and they now are clearly tired of "kicking the can". So, where do we go on a global basis? China has never been one for backing down and they have considerable expansionist plans which involve far, far more than HK. It's clear the Western world is undecided as to how far to push and what can be achieved. The risk of a major confrontation is growing - the out-turn of which is something I don't think anyone can know.

However, from my connections in Beijing, the people seem to get on, have a reasonable way of life with, I know, areas of abject poverty too. But China has been improving conditions - and will continue to do so. You, yourself said at Post #6 that "The ascent of China and Asia has just begun, and with a loyal government in charge HK will have the continuous support of Beijing. I believe Hong Kong will be one of the richest and most prosperous cities of the 21th century, globally, not only in China.". I guess the question, for HK at least, is would it be better to accept the "50 year deal" was unachievable so work with Beijing and accept that HK is making the best of a bad job and that full integration happens before 2047 - or to hold out for broke. That is for HK locals to decide. As for the wider expansionist plans by Beijing; well, that's a whole new problem the West must try and figure out.

Sam Ting Wong
7th Jan 2021, 19:44
Was just about to put in a non-directional form hotn high.Cheers.

Considering how easy it apparently is to brainwash thousands of alledgedly free American deplorables to storm the Capitol, all that just with a few tweets by an evil president, a bit of Foxnews and a selection of Facebook feeds, maybe spare a thought for the poor mainland Chinese. They grow up within a ruthless state school system, life-long surveillance and a wrong word could land you in a labor camp. Let's not mix up the government with the people.

Hot 'n' High
7th Jan 2021, 20:02
No probs STW. I completely agree - and am sorry that it came across otherwise. A dreadful situation to find yourself in as a local - made worse by the politicians who brokered the deal in the first place? And, yes, the boys played the tightrope from Day 1 - but still love the Chinese (people). Anyway, I'll bow out here as I've bored everyone enough I suspect! Cheers, H 'n' H

etudiant
7th Jan 2021, 22:15
Sam Ting Wong

I thought the French media had the better perspective, they distinguish between the bulk of the demonstrators and the 'casseurs', the people who are there to break things. The Germans have the 'chaoten', the chaos producers.
These individuals rely on the cover of the mass demonstration to perform violent acts, in the expectation of creating worse. It seems a form of political terrorism which is very effective. The sponsorship would be very interesting imho.

OK4Wire
7th Jan 2021, 22:24
Oh, cry me a river, STW!

Have a look at the pictures of DC from the riots in June! Not a "deplorable" to be seen! Just "mostly peaceful" black folks, looking for some education.........

LapSap
7th Jan 2021, 22:54
etudiant

That is spot on.
The vision of over a million peaceful marchers from all walks of HK society on a couple of weekends in 2019 was extremely moving and sending a reasonable message to Beijing.

As soon as the 100 or so extremely athletic looking (much more than any wimpy HK uni student I had seen in 20 years) and ‘geared up’ radicals or casseurs as you put it appeared on the scene, trashing public infrastructure, the whole original impetus of the ordinary people was lost.
Who they were (always seemed to be the same ones who magically ran just before police arrived) and who was responsible for their sponsorship was always a big question mark for me.

Trojan1981
7th Jan 2021, 23:58
All these posts about freedom and moral righteousness. It's actually very simple. Hong Kong is the meat in the Sandwich of a great power struggle. The struggle is not a struggle between 800lb Gorillas (USA and China) it's a struggle of one growing silverback (China) against a coalition of others (USA, UK, China, India, Australia etc.) who are growing tired of it's tyrannical, coercion.

Hong Kong will no longer be relevant in the world and, as long as China remains communist, they and their growth will be contained. Manufacturers are already leaving and many business interactions with China are being made illegal.

If I was in Hong Kong, I'd get out while I still could.

Pistolpete47
8th Jan 2021, 01:15
Hong Kong as a financial hub is still going strong and will be for a long time yet. As an out of work pilot now working in the finance industry in HK I can see the money is still flowing. IPOs from China are coming thick and fast and the values are huge. US listings of Chinese companies on the NYSE and Nasdaq still come through HK and if US scrutiny and curtailment of those companies continues that will only strengthen HKs position.

It is a city full of well educated and financially literate graduates with high standard of English spoken. I don't have any concern for HKs financial future.

fitliker
8th Jan 2021, 04:56
Has the ban on Cantonese being taught in schools in Hong Kong started yet ?

Busbitch
8th Jan 2021, 05:02
I'll stay for now but only coz there is nothing else to go to. Soon as things pick up, like most westerners I'm out, for good. I certainly wouldn't want to own a property there anymore, I keep $20k in the bank and send the rest home. I have a "my bags are already packed" approach, I have zero trust in the government. . I feel really sorry for the locals, I made a lot of friends in HK & I like the locals, HK was good to me & I had a fun time, hell Cathay was even good to me, for a while, but if you can't hear the fat lady singing, you are in la la land. Time to head home, not just for the Pilots either, sad as that makes me.

Bueno Hombre
8th Jan 2021, 07:18
In the years of negotiating and then signing this deal in 1984, there was almost no observable support among the local population for continuation of Hong Kong as a colony under the benign rule of Britain. If there had been, things might have turned out differently.

CodyBlade
8th Jan 2021, 07:25
Glad you brought this up.

I recall there was very palpable anti Union Jack sentiment then.

amite
8th Jan 2021, 09:12
I feel that you have a deep misunderstanding about China. I have been in China for a few years and it is not what the media described it at all! This is a country that truly serves the people!

amite
8th Jan 2021, 09:15
Hong Kong is a region of China. Of course, it must be governed by the National Security Law. Are there areas in Europe and the United States that are not governed by the National Security Law?

amite
8th Jan 2021, 09:16
Busbitch

Trust me! Hong Kong, which is governed by the National Security Law, will be better!

Asturias56
8th Jan 2021, 10:11
Amite - from your pro-Beijing perspective would you like to comment on the fact that China signed an agreement over HK that they are clearly in the process of eroding?

I have no issues with China repossessing HK but they did agree a process which they seem to be ignoring

Asturias56
8th Jan 2021, 10:16
"I have a "my bags are already packed" approach,"

Good advice for ex-pats everywhere IMHO

I know people who have had to leave East Africa, Nigeria, South Africa, Indonesia, the Balkans, Timor Leste & the Lebanon at a moment's notice - one family drove off as the (well-organised) mob arrived at the other end of the street to burn them out

You are a guest, and often a disliked guest, when you go overseas - never, ever, forget it

Sam Ting Wong
8th Jan 2021, 12:13
Amite, there is of course no arbitrarily "National Security Law" in Europe or the United States.

In these countries the law serves to protect the people from the government, not like in China the other way around.

Progress Wanchai
8th Jan 2021, 12:15
Pistolpete47

Its all relative and subjective.

Your typical Hong Kong expat understands Asian/Chinese values as much as the typical Asian understands Western values. In many instances right and wrong is relative, not absolute.

Market forces give some indication of what the majority think although that too is subjective. Given property prices continue to increase and the HKMA sells its dollars at a record rate to keep a lid on the HKD cap then a grade 1 student can see the inflow of money continues to outperform the outflow. Will that continue or is it a good investment? If any of us could answer that we wouldn’t be wasting our time with pprune or any other aspect of aviation.

As for western values, the decline of capitalism in 2008 has lead to its death in 2020 virtually making democratic opposition parties little more than enthusiastic supporters who’s only complaint is the decline isn’t happening fast enough.

Zapp_Brannigan
8th Jan 2021, 12:42
Don't fall for it. Amite is clearly part of the 50 cents army.
3 posts blindly supporting big brother; he's getting his pay for the day.

1200firm
8th Jan 2021, 14:40
https://archive.fortune.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/1995/06/26/203948/index.htm

Flex88
8th Jan 2021, 23:28
Very good article albeit sad on many levels..
The deal was done, the fat lady had sung and it was over..
Well, not quite.
2047 was the year #China was to take full control and as usual they lied.. They played their hand 27 years early and I'm sure every last corporation based/headquartered in HK is still gasping for air as they formulate contingency plans that "mitigate" the lawless corrupt thugs to the North..

RoyHudd
9th Jan 2021, 00:43
I fear so.

rhoshamboe
9th Jan 2021, 01:06
First The North, then The Rona. Just wait for a regional conflict to kick off. If you aren't sorting out a Plan B for yourselves and your families yet, you should start.

LapSap
9th Jan 2021, 02:03
Wise move.
I’m taking bets over on another thread re our neighbours to the east being set upon sometime in the next couple of weeks while certain players have their heads up their backsides with political and pandemic issues.

grottyyottie
9th Jan 2021, 07:24
I have a UK cousin, recently retired, who is choosing to stay on with husband and family in HK.. They have worked out there in finance for the last 35yrs.
Money is not an obvious worry to them.
I cannot understand what the pull is, apart from a large group of church friends. They could choose anywhere else on the planet.
It just confounds us all back here.

Bueno Hombre
9th Jan 2021, 08:04
If worked in finance it might be a financial decision.

anxiao
9th Jan 2021, 12:09
No tax on pension income in Hong Kong for starters. Unless you have the misfortune to have a passport from a benighted country that taxes world wide income as a non res.

And for the moment it is one of the safest countries in the world from contracting COVID and all its chronic debilitations. Apart from the dumb expats that go around without masks...

etudiant
9th Jan 2021, 12:53
Given the performance of the leadership in the Western world, China looks pretty good.
Admittedly also a sort of 'Ancien Regime', where 'lese majeste' is a serious crime as well, plus an arbitrary legal system with catchall crime categories.
Against that, a pretty broad effort to deliver some prosperity for the people instead of costly foreign adventures.
For a retired couple, staying in a society that still respects older people and that is pretty crime free does not seem irrational.

Sam Ting Wong
9th Jan 2021, 14:59
One could just stay in Discovery Bay and pretending to be in a retirement village in Florida, not much difference in terms of scenery and excitement.

Asturias56
9th Jan 2021, 17:41
Nicer people in Discovery Bay tho'......................

main_dog
10th Jan 2021, 00:57
For a retired couple, staying in a society that still respects older people and that is pretty crime free does not seem irrational.

Not to mention nicer weather than old blighty... :}

Klimax
10th Jan 2021, 06:34
The world of dreams..l Ahhh Hudson Bay..

kahaha
10th Jan 2021, 08:49
Asturias56

I never noticed any soulful humanity in DB.
There’s the “ I own my buggy dont you know” brigade, who scorn all other vehicles, and ridicule those who rent a buggy.

The wives meet in the plaza, always on the look out for signs of marital infidelities . Maybe a friend’s spouse was spotted chatting to a phiippino maid. Tut tut., I better send out a photo of the db gossip WhatsApp.

There are many smug house owners who have made a mint. They are aloof and hate newbies to db.
There are those who love hk , but ironically have never been to Chai Wan even Shek O.

I would hate to retire there. Insular, petty and repetitive. Then finally, your last act is to be cremated en mass at Quarry Bay.

Oasis
10th Jan 2021, 09:34
Bloody DB, I had to get out of there..
Good to get adjusted in the beginning but too limiting..

CodyBlade
10th Jan 2021, 10:44
it's like a convict island. With weird stuff going on in the bushes.

Flex88
10th Jan 2021, 16:10
Hong Kong is a region of China. Of course, it must be governed by the National Security Law. Are there areas in Europe and the United States that are not governed by the National Security Law?

One of the last to speak negatively of the #CCP and by far one of Chinas richest, Jack Ma has been "disappeared".. I'm sure HE doesn't agree with it 🧐 Just happens to own the SCMP as well, coincidence you say ??

Asturias56
10th Jan 2021, 16:34
Kahaha - I think the point is that the person has been there for 35 years. They will only have some close family left in the UK and a herd of distant nephews, nieces etc who they probably meet once a year when they go back. Their daily hobbies and interests are probably very different

They'd be going back to a a UK they left in 1985 - and it's a very different place now. They probably can afford a nice place in the country but they'll know no-one and (if they think) know they'll have to keep quiet about their time overseas - no-one likes "when I" 's back home. If they've enjoyed life in HK I think they'd be very wise to stay there

Sam Ting Wong
10th Jan 2021, 16:40
You can always stay as Sim Instructor and not retire at all!

grottyyottie
10th Jan 2021, 20:13
You all make good observations on ....why to stay ....or not, in a HK retirement.
I was once told that the big financial institutions work you to " burn out" at the high end and you seldom want to stay in a firm beyond age 60. They say that you come home to die. How true this is, we just dont know, but it happens. Plenty examples.
Perhaps something to do with the person division into the "Somewheres or the Anywheres". This has been around for a while now.
"Somewheres" have to be somewhere, anchored and close to home. Identity, fear of the unknown, social profile and attitude feature.
The "Anywheres" are happy to go out anywhere, any place, take it in their stride, do not fear the bigger world and have a totally different social makeup.
I used to be an Anywhere, flippin loved it. In the 80s and 90s you could 'ave it large' and there were no complaints.
Now retired, my only fellow crewmember is a naughty Terrier. Like a true 1980s FO, he loves the ladies, getting dirty and does not mind getting into trouble.

George Glass
11th Jan 2021, 03:58
Ultimately the “Somewheres” win.
The vacuousness of Western capitalism is being exposed.
And its why China will win in the long run.
Sad isn’t it ?

Bueno Hombre
11th Jan 2021, 09:36
grottyyottie
You have freedom. Lucky you had enough intelligence to not lose the plot and not get married. Most dogs are great especially terriers. They love you unconditionally, not like many CX Wives.

pax britanica
11th Jan 2021, 16:41
Been to HKG more times than i can remember -remarkable place .
But hasnt anyone on this thread reflected on how Hong Kong came to be, A little history puts the whole Chinese normalisation but into context and is another sad example of all too common western hypocrisy
1 We can have nukes but other nations can't
2 We can spy , subvert, intercept communications but other nations doing it are bad people
3 We can use brute force to press our demands on small backward often helpless countries

Doesnt make what the Chinese are doing right but they are the people with might on their side now

Sam Ting Wong
11th Jan 2021, 17:12
Fair point, for sure hypocrisy is prominently present in the Western perspective. But one should not forget the achievements either. Of course you can focus on all the mistakes and crimes of the West, the history of wars, slavery, undermining legit regimes in the cold war, supporting the wrong side out of self-interest etc. Still it is the West that offers a quality of life, wealth and individual level of freedom that no other region in the history of our planet has ever achieved. Not even close. Then add all the technological advances, the contribution to science, the arts, literature etc. What has China or Russia contributed the last 100 years?
Additionally, all historic events have to bevseen in the context of the time, it is a huge difference to suppress democracy and human rights in 2021 rather than in 1841.

pax britanica
11th Jan 2021, 17:39
Sam I agree in part but actually the west is not the source of all good things, Russia for example had the Russian revolution which was a kick up the backside to the complacent conservative west in much the same ways the French one was . Russia has also contributed greatly to the arts and sciences. China developed the Confucian ideals and has made contributions certainly to the arts but in an eastern and not western style and perhaps that's rated less important than say Shakespeare or Rembrandt. Equally i don't think you can use the excuse that enslaving people ,stealing their land and territory was any less evil 200 years ago than it is now.
But the other points you make about a sort of generically liberal Democratic idea in the West (which we are just bout clinging onto) are legitimate and good reasons why China should be challenged , whether they care or not is another matter. ,
And the point I was making was that its hard to be holier than thou if you are the Uk Government when speaking of HK.

Kitsune
11th Jan 2021, 17:58
And this all has to do with AVIATION in Fragrant Harbour?

lucille
11th Jan 2021, 20:09
A little erudite diversion among a couple of learned fellows is quite refreshing.

And besides, there is a paucity of discussion worthy aviation of being committed in the FH region.

Sam Ting Wong
12th Jan 2021, 06:33
Wives swinging in DB is the most ridiculous myth about this place ever. Empty promises is all I can say. I was once full of hopes moving there, but all I got was an endless parade of XXL bottoms in Lycra.

Oasis
12th Jan 2021, 07:10
You just never got an invite!

(sorry, I had to do it...)

Krone
12th Jan 2021, 16:28
Sam Ting Wong

Not true. There was an infamous even, where two DB based Dragonair Captains regularly got together with their mutual wives for a bit of rumpey pumpey after their Sunday BBQ’s.

Fast forward a few weeks, and one of the guys took a shine to his mate’s wife more than he should have . The result was two divorces , one couple and two singles .

For the remainder of their KA careers, the two captains were met with ridicule and sniggers every time they went to work. The cabin crew loved it !

krismiler
12th Jan 2021, 20:12
Swinging and aviation date back to the mid 1900s where it is alleged to have been a common practice in the US Air force before pilots deployed overseas. Later on, the large military bases which enabled families to accompany serving personnel on deployments made things easier. Supposedly it helped bonding in the unit and implied that families would be taken care of if husbands were lost in combat.

These two Captains were simply carrying on with aviation tradition.

carolknows
14th Jan 2021, 13:53
Krone

Interested to know what happened to the couple post-KA now

fitliker
14th Jan 2021, 17:19
Are you saying you do not know ? might need to change your name carol :)

veryoldchinahand
15th Jan 2021, 03:05
A very dangerous place is Disco Bay.!
Back in the mid nineties I acquired a single (as in unmarried) FSM and several blissful months ensued until that is a very large bronzed Queensland miner appeared at my door one blissful Saturday evening.
You guessed it -the husband and he was not pleased nor I expect were the 2 kids back in Queensland...........
I had always wondered where she got that slightly crocked front tooth!
There must be a moral to this story but I cant exactly pin it down other than perhaps beware of FSMs bearing gifts.

Harbour Dweller
16th Jan 2021, 06:36
Hmm.. sounds familiar. Sign or you’re fired.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-16/hong-kong-civil-servants-weeks-to-pledge-loyalty-to-beijing/13063076

Bekol delay
16th Jan 2021, 08:22
So shall we mention GFS?

These are civil servants, members of the disciplined services, and many of them hold foreign passports, whilst working under an employment visa.

Does HKG have enough locals with the correct experience, qualifications, ability, and passport to competently operate?
This is before we look at the backgrounds of many of those who work there, and this is an entity that has now been sanctioned as 'a military end-user.'

Bueno Hombre
16th Jan 2021, 09:26
It is the responsibility of the Hong Kong Government to facilitate the replacement of foreign nationals, in all occupations , by Hong Kong Permanent ID Holders.

Bekol delay
16th Jan 2021, 09:48
Yet BH, a permanent HKID holder is not necessarily an HKSAR passport holder.

If still a foreign passport holder how can one pledge allegiance to Hong Kong?

krismiler
17th Jan 2021, 00:36
veryoldchinahand

Most of us married blokes are familiar with the wife’s suspicions of what we must be getting up to with the cabin crew, however it was quite interesting to see it from another point of view during a company get together. The cabin crew brought along their husbands and boyfriends, and we handsome young pilots were getting some dirty looks from them.

The thought of their partners spending time alone in exotic locations with all those glamorous well paid alpha males must have been driving them mad.

mngmt mole
17th Jan 2021, 01:18
This entire conversation is really not doing anyone any particular favour. Time to put it to bed (intended :-).

Bueno Hombre
17th Jan 2021, 07:37
krismiler

Yes, I totally agree and those of us on the prowl these days(!) would do better to scope the maid rather than the cabin crew. Not like how I remember it was in western countries long time ago. Nevertheless lets dream on about the good old days when many lovely girls became cabin crew in the hope of hitting it off with an airline captain or a flight engineer.