PDA

View Full Version : RIP Seaman Dan - TI

Duck Pilot
2nd Jan 2021, 07:50
Anyone who lived on Horn Island and drank at the Wongai would probably be very familiar with Seaman Dan’s tunes.

Rest In Peace Dan, your great music and kindness will be remembered for a long time.

Ascend Charlie
2nd Jan 2021, 19:03
Good music, Sad that Dan is gone. But too expensive to drink at the Wongai, only $2 for a beer at the Australian Helicopters compound.

The Bullwinkle
2nd Jan 2021, 20:41
A wonderful man who always had a smile on his face.
”Farewell from the Torres Strait”. 😥

Pettibone
3rd Jan 2021, 10:52
ARIA Award-winning Torres Strait Island musician Seaman Dan dies at 91 - ABC News (https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-02/aria-award-winning-musician-uncle-seaman-dan-dies-at-91/13026496)

Are You From T.I - YouTube

tail wheel
3rd Jan 2021, 20:58
Henry Gibson "Seaman" Dan AM (25 August 1929 - 30 December 2020) a great Islander and Australian, passed away at age 91. Wonderful man, loved his music and songs.

https://rhythms.com.au/queensland-salutes-seaman-dan/

And the Wongai beer was cheaper than Richard and Faye's resort - if one didn't mind the Midgies.

Kubin rock climber
4th Jan 2021, 04:33
You no Gateway customer, you WONGAI customer!!!

Seaman Dan, classic FNQ musician and character. Much loved and long remembered.

halas
5th Jan 2021, 02:39
I was there when they built the Wongai.

Had to go to the remnants of the old mine town in the bush to find a bar on Horn Is.

halas

Ascend Charlie
5th Jan 2021, 04:59
A good tribute to Henry on the ABC today, along with one of his tracks, "Red Walking Frame (goes faster than the Green Walking Frame)"

Dunno about a beer on Horny Island, but even in 2007 you had to catch the ferry to TI and hike to the cafe to get a cappuccino. Until I brought my own cooktop, beans and percolator on the next rotation. Couldn't drink the mud that the OpsO made in the AH hangar.

snoop doggy dog
7th Jan 2021, 22:49
'Steady Steady...'

​​​​​A warm and friendly man. Will be missed.
RIP Seaman Dan