PDA

View Full Version : varifocal lenses

skua
18th Aug 2002, 21:20
Has anybody got any experience of varifocal lenses that they would like to pass on? Due to advancing age and decrepit eye muscles my optician has just prescribed them for me, and I am slightly concerned about their aptitude for flying...

Thanks

spittingimage
19th Aug 2002, 09:49
I use varifocal lenses and have done so for about 3 years.

I think the UK CAA view is along the lines of 'we do not recommend them but will not stop you flying with them on'. I have declared my lenses to the AME at each Class 1 medical renewal and have not yet had my wrist slapped.

It took me about 4 weeks to adjust to them. By chance, I was not flying during this period (exams). Initially everything in peripheral vision appears to swim about a bit, but this quickly wears off and, overall, they are a real boon.

Downside ? Overhead switches and logos can be a bit difficult to identify - you need to look mainly through the lower half of the lens for normal close reading. This can be tricky directly above your head ! Otherwise I have no problems.

There are rather more expensive lenses available which appear to improve objects in peripheral vision without the need to turn your head to look directly at same. I use these.

I have read comment somewhere that such lenses should have no place in the cockpit. My experience tells me that, with a judicious period of acclimatisation - and you will recognise when this has been accomplished - such lenses are excellent.

skua
19th Aug 2002, 16:54
thank you for that - very helpful (and indeed reassuring!)