PDA

View Full Version : China Southern Flying College Jandakot

Stationair8
29th Dec 2020, 22:57
ABC news reporting that China Southern Flying College has gone into voluntary liquidation.

Clare Prop
29th Dec 2020, 23:50
Yes, about a week ago

flyingkea
30th Dec 2020, 01:19
Yea, we were told last monday.
What a great Christmas present!

/s

rovpilot
31st Dec 2020, 00:31
Instructed there in 1997 under Morris Tilak - what a legend he was.

Anyone know what Morris is up to now?

I had some great students, and some great dunces.

Sad news, in sad times.

Clare Prop
1st Jan 2021, 00:25
The ABC article had a few inaccuracies but did say they were looking at ways to finish the training for 48 remaining students, so that would be an opportunity for somewhere?

roypilot AFAIK Morris is still around and doing flight tests. a legend for sure.

LexAir
1st Jan 2021, 01:28
That is not good news for the other schools in Australia teaching China Southern cadets.

flyingkea
1st Jan 2021, 03:44
That is not good news for the other schools in Australia teaching China Southern cadets.
i believe the current cadets will be sent to the Eastern states to finish their training.
as for what CSA will do long term, who knows??

Morris is still around, doing flight tests. He was doing Multi, IFR and CPLs for CSWAFC.

Dick Smith
4th Jan 2021, 20:33
Here is a link to the ABC article (https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-30/china-southern-airlines-wa-training-college-enters-liquidation/13020052).

It will be interesting to see what happens long term in relation to Merredin airport.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
5th Jan 2021, 00:35
Aye Dick,
Perhaps the liquidators could see their way 'clear' to sell it back to the shire for the princely sum of....$1, and so it remains a vital piece of infrastructure to the local wheatbelt / community...??

Its not like it can be 'packed up' and sent to China..??

'Tell 'im 'e's dreamin'....... Ah well.....just a thort.......

p.s. Thanx again for the............

5th Jan 2021, 06:49
Perhaps the liquidators could see their way 'clear' to sell it back to the shire for the princely sum of....$1
If the rates have not been paid, maybe the Council can just claim it.

makgeo
19th Feb 2021, 03:01
Morris is still active at Air Australia, took a check ride with him last week.

Clare Prop
8th Oct 2023, 01:10
I was told the sad news a couple of days ago that Morris Tilak has passed away.

I will post funeral details when I get them.

:(

43Inches
8th Oct 2023, 01:16
That is very sad news, he must have been quite old, I bet he probably could still wield an aircraft to levels of precision I could only dream of right up to the end.

Clare Prop
8th Oct 2023, 02:49
That is very sad news, he must have been quite old, I bet he probably could still wield an aircraft to levels of precision I could only dream of right up to the end.
Had recently celebrated his 90th birthday apparently.
What a wealth of knowledge he takes with him, one of the old school.

makgeo
8th Oct 2023, 03:19
Had recently celebrated his 90th birthday apparently.
What a wealth of knowledge he takes with him, one of the old school.
He imparted that knowledge so effectively, and in a pleasant and efficient manner. I clearly remember the number of things he told me about my own aircraft when doing a couple of check-rides with him. He devoured the POH I had supplied to him a week before the flights.

kraznyoctbyar
8th Oct 2023, 07:55
He was my Instructor at Australian International Flying College, 93-94. A true legend. RIP Sir.

kjvmw
8th Oct 2023, 08:38
Very sad news. A very knowledgeable and passionate instructor/ examiner. I did a lot flight tests with Morris over the years. I did my MEAI test with him in 2019. I will forever be impressed at how a man of his stature and age could hold the nose of a Seminole dead straight all the way down to Vmca. RIP Morris