PDA

View Full Version : Wi Fi my PC does not find a signal on boot up does after restart.

magpienja
29th Dec 2020, 16:38
Just installed a spare PC upstairs in my house win 7....odd prob with the WiFi connection on it.

On initial boot up it does not see the signal from my Virgin Router ....but sees several others in my area.

If I restart it right away after its first starts up...it finds my WiFi sig right away.

Any ideas what maybe up with it.

Nick.

andytug
29th Dec 2020, 18:05
I have a couple of laptops that do this from time to time, and so does my phone. Not sure if it's to do with the order they scan WiFi channels in or/and which band (2.4 or 5 Ghz) it scans for first, but every so often they lose one and it takes a while to get it back (or a restart). My guess is they get confused which of 2.4 or 5 Ghz to use and pick the wrong one.

magpienja
29th Dec 2020, 21:25
I should add....if I use my laptop....there is not a hint of trouble....so its limited to the Desktop PC I use.

FullOppositeRudder
29th Dec 2020, 22:31
It looks like it will be in the configuration settings in the WiFi section for that particular computer. Depending on the type of WiFi hardware fitted, you may be able to dive into theses settings and see whether is has a default WiFi network it expects to connect to, or whether it does a search every time it boots. It may have accumulated a stack of WiFi networks in a former lifetime, and expects to search through these for a previously preferred service. If you can, clear any such list, and once you have connected to the one you want, see if there is an options to "connect to this service automatically" or similar. It's hard to be more specific than this because these parameters can and will vary according to hardware and OS combinations.

magpienja
30th Dec 2020, 10:55
F.O.R. that sounds plausible...the PC in question used to be connected directly via an Ethernet cable until a few weeks ago when I moved it to another room.

I will look see if I can find anything about what you say.

jimjim1
31st Dec 2020, 15:28
The profiles sometimes get corrupted. Delete the profile you are having trouble with and re-create it by connecting to it in the usual way.

You will need command window then look to see what profiles you have with

netsh
wlan
show profiles

Identify the one you want to delete. Mine looks like this:-

C: \Users\Ladder>netsh
netsh>wlan
netsh wlan>

netsh wlan>show profiles

User profiles
-------------
All User Profile : Test
All User Profile : Telephone

netsh wlan>

Now issue the command as follows substituting your profile name (SSID or WiFi name) in place of Test

delete profile name="Test"

It looks like this:-

netsh wlan>delete profile name="Test"
Profile "Test" is deleted from interface "Wireless Network Connection".
netsh wlan>

You can just close the command window. I didn't need an Administrator one. If you get an error when you try to delete use an Administrator command prompt.

Don't add any spaces round the equals sign.

Good luck

magpienja
31st Dec 2020, 15:41
Bit advanced for me all that Jim....but I will look into it....
It does find the wifi....but only after a restart immediately after its started up....this is every time the PC is started.

jimjim1
31st Dec 2020, 18:57
Bit advanced for me all that Jim....but I will look into it....

I just remembered that you can do it on Windows 10 without resorting to the command line.

google search
delete wlan profile windows 10

Here is one:-
https://stutech-help.stanford.edu/hc/en-us/articles/360021271831-How-to-forget-wireless-networks-Windows-10

jimjim1
31st Dec 2020, 19:07
Assuming you are on W10.

Another approach might be to turn off "Fast Startup". This means that a shutdown means shutdown with the consequence that the system state after a power on will be the same as that after a restart.

Out of the box a shutdown on W10 does not really do a shutdown. I think W8 may be the same, not sure.

A google search will turn up a guide.

This describes the Fast Startup thing.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-client/deployment/updates-not-install-with-fast-startup

"The Fast Startup feature in Windows 10 is enabled by default if applicable. Fast Startup is designed to help your computer start up faster after you shut down your computer. When you shut down your computer, your computer actually enters a hibernation state instead of a full shutdown."

magpienja
31st Dec 2020, 23:36
Sorry no its an old win 7 machine.....just for use in a spare room.

Now edited the OP to say Win7

Mr Optimistic
1st Jan 2021, 09:44
Can't remember that much about Win 7 but after initial boot, if you search for available networks, does it then find it?
Are you using a usb adapter?

magpienja
1st Jan 2021, 10:33
Hi Mr O....Not a USB dongle type devive but a built-in Lan card....the type with a small antenna on the back of the PC....on first boot up....if I search for any wifi signal it finds plenty but not mine.

If I re-boot....it finds it....very odd.

BirdmanBerry
1st Jan 2021, 11:42
Do you know what channel your wifi is set to or is it auto?

Also in Device manager, find your wireless card under Network adapters > right click > properties > untick 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power' if it's ticked.

Mr Optimistic
1st Jan 2021, 11:59
Hmm. Wnen you can see the network perhaps investigate if your settings are different to the ones it does find

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/howto/manage-your-wireless-guide-wifi-networks-in-windows-7/

Thirsty
1st Jan 2021, 15:13
Is your PC and router setup to use DHCP, or is it configured for static IP?
The IP address may already be in use, and on your second attempt it will find a spare one?

jimjim1
2nd Jan 2021, 17:50
Turns out you can remove the profile in win 7 from the normal interface too. Who knew?

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000026249/network-and-i-o/wireless.html

Over the years I have fixed quite a few weird WiFi problems by deleting and re-creating the profile.