PDA

View Full Version : 192 Sqn Washingtons

tiny fireburn
26th Dec 2020, 13:44
I am currently researching 192 Sqn's Washingtons during their time at Watton from 1952-58. Would greatly appreciate hearing from anyone who has memories or photos. Would also like to re-establish contact with Chris Howlett (of Washington Times fame) and would also like to contact Dave Forster, author of book Listening In, and contributer to the War & Thunder forum I can be reached at: [email protected].

Wander00
2nd Nov 2022, 10:49
Tony, as I may have mentioned I am in touch with daughter of Flt Comer who was a 192 Washingon captain for a while based in Cyprus and carrying out pre Suez Elint, for which it seems he was awarded the AFC. I have heard a rumour he also tangled, successfully, ie he survived, with an Egyptian MiG. Anything you have come across. Ian G

Brewster Buffalo
2nd Nov 2022, 13:57
Tony, as I may have mentioned I am in touch with daughter of Flt Comer who was a 192 Washingon captain for a while based in Cyprus and carrying out pre Suez Elint, for which it seems he was awarded the AFC. I have heard a rumour he also tangled, successfully, ie he survived, with an Egyptian MiG. Anything you have come across. Ian G

The book "Listening In" does cover operations during this period. Washington WZ968 was dispatched on 9th August 1956 to Nicosia and Flt Comer carried out a day sortie off the Egyptian coast on 26th August. There were further sorties before the invasion and after the withdrawal the last mission being flown on the 26th November. There is no mention in the book of any close call with an angry MiG!

Wander00
6th Nov 2022, 12:11
Thanks, still researching this point of the MIg. I pointed Flt Lt Comer's daughter towards the recent Aeroplane article in which he gets a mention or two, as he does in 'Listening In. However, on some forum or other, and I am gettng old(er) and cannot recall which, someone mentioned a Mig attempting to interfere. Certainly comparing dates et it seems his AFC was connected with the electronic intelligence gathering pre-Suez..