PDA

View Full Version : Glider and Aeroplane pilots

Bosi72
22nd Dec 2020, 12:20
Had my first gliding lesson last Saturday.
Woww what an experience!
Pulled by the winch, Astir Twin glider accelerated super fast, then 10-20m later took off at 45deg angle and I would say in 10-15 secs we were at 1000ft above the aerodrome!
Short flight but fully enjoyed and I look forward to the next one, and hopefully my "first solo"

A question for pilots of both gliders and powered aeroplanes: do you log your gliding time in pilots logbook or in a separate log?
The glider is VH rego on Casa register.

Thanks

rudestuff
22nd Dec 2020, 14:32
Entirely up to you and to a certain extent how your logbook is laid out.

Kemble Pitts
22nd Dec 2020, 17:49
In the UK we (well, me and everybody else at Cotswold Gliding Club anyhow) use separate log books. This could be because gliding is administered by British Gliding Association rather than EASA or CAA who deal with powered flying.

asw28-866
22nd Dec 2020, 20:07
I suggest separate. You will have to maintain and report discrete hours counts for each administering body (CASA & GFA), and GFA instructors rely on contiguous logbook entries with associated commentary to assess progress.

Lookleft
22nd Dec 2020, 21:06
I have a separate logbook for my glider flying, a separate logbook for my parachute jumps and separate logbooks for my powered flying. A nice little historical record of my aviation experiences.

kingRB
22nd Dec 2020, 21:31
I used to use the Gliding Federation logbook to log all my hours and then a conventional logbook when I moved into powered flying. I don't think it really matters anymore, there used to be stipulations on gliding time only counting for
50% powered logged time if i recall, but think it changed later when the legislation was updated?

Never got to experience winch launches, only aerotow where I flew, but yes gliding is awesome and is a fantastic way to learn solid stick and rudder skills before you move to powered flight if that's what you want to do.