PDA

View Full Version : “Guardians” of the Galaxy...

NutLoose
19th Dec 2020, 13:24
Members of the US Space Force, you know, those with the Star Trek Logo as their badge, are to be officially called Guardians.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/12/18/politics/pence-space-force-guardians/index.html

:)

ohh and..

Today we make history, with the first two installations in the history of the United States Space force to bear the name of this new branch of the service," Pence said at Cape Canaveral at the time.
The two bases will now be referred to as Cape Canaveral Space Force Station and Patrick Space Force Base.

To infinity and Beyond...... ;)

Bergerie1
19th Dec 2020, 13:32
More willy waving?

Herod
19th Dec 2020, 13:48
To infinity and Beyond...... https://www.pprune.org/images/smilies/wink2.gif

You mean "To insanity and beyond" perhaps?

spitfirek5054
19th Dec 2020, 14:18
Beam me up, Scotty

ORAC
19th Dec 2020, 14:52
More willy waving?
Army and RN probably said the same thing, in other words, back in 1918 in the UK and 1947 in the USA...

nolimitholdem
19th Dec 2020, 15:18
"Insanity & beyond" is the UK losing access to Galileo in a couple weeks for precision military position/nav/timing but not a peep how that may affect capabilities. Still have yet to hear what the solution will be, now that they've scrapped building their own alternative.

Kind of makes sneering at the Yanks seem a bit misplaced.

Flugplatz
19th Dec 2020, 15:32
Anyone caught sniggering will be amongst the first to be transferred to UK Space Command (https://www.itv.com/news/2020-11-19/pm-vows-to-end-era-of-retreat-with-biggest-military-investment-since-cold-war) (which perhaps inevitably seems like it will be based in the Home Counties)

ORAC
19th Dec 2020, 16:06
"Insanity & beyond" is the UK losing access to Galileo in a couple weeks for precision military position/nav/timing but not a peep how that may affect capabilities
As far as I am aware the Galileo PRS mode isn’t planned to be operational till 2026, so I’m not sure what capability the U.K. armed forces will lose in a couple of weeks - or which platforms or weapons even have the capability, or were planned to be receive mid-life updates to have the capability (for example the F-35 in service with any European customer).

tdracer
19th Dec 2020, 19:46
Members of the US Space Force, you know, those with the Star Trek Logo as their badge, are to be officially called Guardians.

While commonly repeated on the internet (which of course has to mean it's true :rolleyes:), Star Trek ripped off the logo, not the other way around - with aspects dating back to the original NASA logo:

But the new logo is really just a riff on the original U.S. Air Force Space Command emblem, which dates back decades. And among the people to point that out was Michael Okuda, a longtime Star Trek graphic designer who in the 1990s created the Starfleet Command logo for Paramount, which itself was derived from older designs.

“Arrowheads and swooshes and orbits and stars and planets have been used in space emblems long before either of these emblems,” he wrote. “For whatever it’s worth — and I do not own the intellectual property rights in most of my Star Trek work — I’m not offended by the similarities, nor would I accuse the Space Force of plagiarism.

JPJP
19th Dec 2020, 21:34
Pence opened his remarks on Friday by bringing greetings from President Donald Trump, calling him the "founder of the United States Space Force" who has "been an enthusiast" of the service since he conceived of the idea.

😂

You really couldn’t make this stuff up. I’m going to give this a shot. How hard could it be ?

Rupert opened his remarks by bringing greetings from Me, calling him the "the inventor of toast" who has "been an enthusiast" of toast since he conceived of the idea, of delicious toast.

Anyone else want to try ? It’s not difficult.

NutLoose
20th Dec 2020, 01:29
Pence opened his remarks on Friday in Klingon, a form of gibberish founded on the sayings of President Donald Trump, calling him the "founder of Klingon Empire" who has "been an enthusiast" of Klingingon since he first conceived of the idea

NutLoose
20th Dec 2020, 01:36
Another little ditty, Netflix holds copywrite on the space force logo in most countries having registered it even before the USA,

https://www.creativebloq.com/news/space-force-logo

Buster Hyman
20th Dec 2020, 02:12
What could possibly go wrong?

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/480x270/giphy_08fd1fdb13bb86873fa0e79a45b1f3229fd16228.gif

nolimitholdem
20th Dec 2020, 07:56
As far as I am aware the Galileo PRS mode isn’t planned to be operational till 2026, so I’m not sure what capability the U.K. armed forces will lose in a couple of weeks - or which platforms or weapons even have the capability, or were planned to be receive mid-life updates to have the capability (for example the F-35 in service with any European customer).

*sigh* Pedants of the world, rejoice.

The point is, the UK will be excluded from the defence and security aspects of Galileo from 2021 onward. Not to mention the small matter of the £1.2bn invested already, lost. I'm sure Brexiters will claim this as a "win" somehow as they gloss over all such trifles.

I have no horse in either UK or US races, but the former deriding the latter on space matters is a bit rich.

PICKS135
20th Dec 2020, 12:35
Anyone caught sniggering will be amongst the first to be transferred to UK Space Command (https://www.itv.com/news/2020-11-19/pm-vows-to-end-era-of-retreat-with-biggest-military-investment-since-cold-war) (which perhaps inevitably seems like it will be based in the Home Counties)

No chance it will be the home counties. Were basing everything else at Lossie so it has to be there. Has no one else heard of all your eggs in one basket. ??? Lossie, Marham, Coningsby. Future war will only need 3 nukes and thats the RAF screwed !!

SLXOwft
20th Dec 2020, 12:55

Well the 'Vulcans' of UK SpOC are already at RAF High Wycombe.:}

Though may be they would be sent to clean launch vehicles at either Royal Space Force Station St Mawgan or Royal Space Force Station Saxa Vord (assuming in the latter case Military Asset Mangement will lease back the accommodation):)

NutLoose
20th Dec 2020, 13:55
Surely it should be Royal Airless Force. Can’t we resurrect the IOW launch site?

ORAC
20th Dec 2020, 14:32
I think having the planned launch sites in Scotland isn't because of the cost of the land they go up from, but the price of the land they might come down on - and with the sites planned for northerly polar launches, from Scotland it's over water, but from the IOW there's lots of expensive bits in between.....

Martin the Martian
20th Dec 2020, 15:43
Hmm, Guardians...

And no doubt the grunts will be known as the Green Lantern Corps.