PDA

View Full Version : CAE ADAPT assessment Virtual

rj2208
18th Dec 2020, 12:49
Dear all,

I have applied for ATPL integrated programme with CAE and have been invited to part take in stage 2 assessment (ADAPT test) next month. This will be done virtually due to COVID and I want to know if anyone has done this and how did they find it? It has been quite some time since I was last in education and have also opted to pay for Math/Physic bundle provided by CAE... which after using them couple of times, I am not a big fan. Is there any other useful programmes I can buy to help pass the test? I was thinking of buying symbiotic

Can anyone share any useful tips and what topics I should be focusing on mainly? any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

African_TrouserSnake
18th Dec 2020, 20:18
I believe the only assessment you require to pass is ‘proof of liquidity’, upon succeeding you will be instantly enrolled into class 2021-1

Climb150
19th Dec 2020, 00:20
So rj2288, who will be hiring when you finish? I will confidently say nobody. If you really wanna do it, go modular and stretch it over as much time as you can. It will be half the price and by the time you finish your PPL, you may want to defer for a while until hiring comes back.

skyblue12
19th Dec 2020, 11:06
I would highly recommend against this idea.

parkfell
19th Dec 2020, 15:24
rj2208

Why give up a secure job as a Police Officer [your post 22 September 2020 refers] when going modular allows you earn income and train at such a pace to get the pilot recruitment timing right.
Your dream will turn into a nightmare, 100k+ worse off, and unemployed.
Tell African TS that he is wrong....

Climb150
19th Dec 2020, 16:25
Unfortunately African TS had a point. My old flying school is offering all sorts of nonsense to get new students. Free laptops, no landing fees etc.

Flys4Funs
20th Dec 2020, 03:15
I thought I’d try and answer your question and not tell you stuff you are more than likely very aware of regarding the state of the industry. I have done the Adapt test in the past for airline courses. The tests include the below, but may differ slightly depending on the course you’re going for.

- Progressive Maths - as suggested the questions get progressively harder, with more marks for the harder questions. You get 30 mins for 20 questions. The ones I had were very heavily weighted to speed distance time questions and some other basic concepts (e.g. Pythagoras a2=b2+c2). Nothing too difficult and the time is plenty, I finished in about 15 mins.

- Progressive Physics - same structure as the maths. I like you had been out of Education for some time. The standard is same as GCSE. This i found the most challenging aspect and the one I studied most for. It includes electrics (v=ir, basic circuits parallel and series and resistance calcs); mechanics (f=ma, and more complex acceleration calcs); thermodynamics (p1+v1/t1=p2+v2/t2). If you understand these formulae and concepts and can adapt them then I think you’ll be ok.

- FAST - this is a multi task test of observation and operation. Not much more to say on this, I think this is more down to natural ability (although see what I say below about Skytest). This one is pretty challenging, but I think (personal view) the most important thing is to stay focused and not panic.

-Cognitive - basic abstract/verbal/numerical/ reasoning and memory/speed accuracy. As per FAST not much you can study for here, just be familiar with the type of questions in these standard reasoning tests. There are about 5 questions across Each of the topics and if you have prepped for the maths above should good enough. I found it pretty straight forward. The questions are basic but just need to judge your time effectively. Verbal was very easy spatial and memory also not too challenging.

I think these are all the ones you’ll get on the virtual test. If you were to do it in person there are also Additional tests mainly focused on hand eye co-ordination. The ball game where you need to keep a ball in a grid using the joystick and something akin to a flight sim game where you have to listen/pay attention to the Required inputs.

Most of the above is in the literature they send you, so no secrets, just a few additional personal opinions. You also asked about prep material. By far the most useful thing I found was the skytest (Asia) bundle. This has all the tests you’ll sit and helps get familiar with the type of questions. I used this heavily to get back into the physics - it provides the answers with formulae that I found useful. The only thing I would say is that in this case it is probably possible to over prepare.

Good Luck with it!

rj2208
20th Dec 2020, 16:46
Hi, I would be taking a career break during my ATPL training which will give me the option to join the police force again should I not find a job... also modular is not a option for me as id like to do ATPL... currently looking at CAE and Leading Edge ... my top 2 school...

I'd like to think the flight industry will pick up by beginning of 2024...