PDA

View Full Version : Can a notebook's motherboard be upgraded?

fobotcso
18th Aug 2002, 15:56
We regularly discuss upgrades to Desktops and Towers but I don't think we've talked about Notebook upgrades.

Fitting more RAM and larger HDDs are OK within the scope allowed. But what about upgrading the motherboard/processor? Mine is the HiGrade Notino AS7400 with only 266MHz. The Mobo is ASUS. There's loads of room to work in the big strong case and the rest of the hardware is in good shape (FDD, CD-ROM, HDD, PC Card II/III). It has IR, USB, S-video sockets already (no Firewire but I would sacrifice the parallel out socket for that).

Anyone done this and if so where can you get the bits? It doesn't look as though the original supplier is going to be interested.

It does seem a pity to waste the excellent build quality of this Notebook but the beast is getting just a bit too slow.

What_does_this_button_do?
18th Aug 2002, 16:47
This is a good point. I've never seen any motherboards sold for laptops. Off to Google I go..........

Massey1Bravo
18th Aug 2002, 17:45
I've also never seen a motherboard for a laptop. I guess all internal components of laptops are hard-wired and cannot be changed.

fobotcso
18th Aug 2002, 19:05
M1B, that, too, is a good point I hadn't considered.

Although all components such as HDD, CD-ROM, FDD, Battery, PCMCIA socket and so on, are all "plug-ins", their sockets must be hard wired to something and I guess that will be the MoBo.

When I can prise it off my lad at Uni (probably Christmas now), I will do some investigative screwdrivering.

In the meantime, I'll go and look at the Tom's Hardware site. Any other ideas from anyone?

lfalconer
18th Aug 2002, 21:39
Fobotcso,

In general, it can't be done. Manufacturers do not create "motherboard upgrades".

The closest scenario that can work: a particular notebook brand release a series of products that all use the same chassis, same case.. same LCD... same internal physical connections. Say the only difference between the various models was CPU power.. apart from HDD/DVD/CD specs. In that case, you could upgrade the motherboard to a faster model.. but would be paying through the nose..

Note: in most notebooks, CPU and motherboard are one unit.

Unfortunately this rarely happens. Most "faster/better" models come with different video cards, different LCD's.. so when attempting to install the upgraded motherboard you'll find that the video card connections don't match, or the LCD connector is a different size etc. etc.

Hope that makes sense.

Lachlan

fobotcso
18th Aug 2002, 22:08
Thanks. Clearly not an easy task and maybe an impossible one.

I'm going to have to write to ASUS direct and see what they say. There has been a large family of the Notino "AS" notebooks and it maybe that I can fit a new MoBo from one of the later more powerful models.

I wouldn't claim to be a raving conservationist, but there is so much that is still in almost perfect condition about this Notebook that it seems wanton to throw it away.

I'll get peanuts in part exchange so even if it cost £200-300 (GBP)for the upgrade it would be worth it.