PDA

View Full Version : Gibraltar-3

MKY661
13th Dec 2020, 17:04
Inaugural arrival of Wizz Air into GIB on Friday evening:
https://mobile.twitter.com/GBCNewsroom/status/1337476178635091971

Cloud1
15th Dec 2020, 08:51
I assume the weather was out yesterday as BA diverted to AGP and the return cancelled. Wizz got in but doesn’t appear to have left?

eye2eye5
15th Dec 2020, 09:29
Reported on Aviation Herald that the inbound Wizz flight received a bird strike. Should depart today.

MKY661
27th Dec 2020, 13:02
Appears EasyJet have quietly dropped the LTN-GIB route and this will not operate in 2021.

cavokblues
27th Dec 2020, 14:51
I wonder if this is because of Wizz coming on the route or if it was planned otherwise?

racedo
28th Dec 2020, 09:42
Easyjet holding their powder dry is more likely. The battle for passengers and growth will start when millions ready to fly again.

MKY661
28th Dec 2020, 14:07
To be fair I did find EasyJet's Luton schedule a bit odd. Wouldn't run at all during the peak summer season where you could argue the demand was the highest, and not operating it at a high frequency compared to what Monarch offered. Anyway hope they will bring it back once demand rises again.

Edinburgh continues to be bookable from March 2021, although it isn't bookable after October unlike the other 3 routes they operate.

MKY661
2nd Feb 2021, 19:35
As reported on the Eastern thread, it appears Eastern will be starting up a route to Southampton, with potential of others as well.

EasyJet's route to EDI has had its start date pushed back to 4th May 2021, initially operating weekly until June where it will go to 2 weekly. Subject to change of course.

Derry321
4th Feb 2021, 08:37
Eastern launching Birmingham as well as Southampton.

Good news on paper - however Eastern are not known to always give routes a full chance before pulling them, so let's hope bookings are strong!

MKY661
4th Feb 2021, 09:17
Now confirmed that Eastern Airways will be starting routes to Southampton and Birmingham. Fights will operate on a W pattern except for the first Southampton service which is due to start on 24th May. Birmingham will start on 28th:

Mon/Fri:
T3874 SOU-GIB Dep. 07:05 Arr. 10:55
T3975 GIB-BHX Dep. 11:40 Arr. 13:35
T3976 BHX-GIB Dep. 14:25 Arr. 18:20
T3877 GIB-SOU Dep. 19:05 Arr. 20:55

Flights are operated by an Embraer E190

LTNman
4th Feb 2021, 10:16
I think Easyjet is missing the boat this year by not offering a LTN-GIB service which doesn’t operate in the peak summer months anyway and not at all this year. Gibraltar could well be seen as the only destination on the Med that is safe to book but the issue is the lack of suitable holiday hotels with the facilities people want. Also many hotels that are listed under Gibraltar are across the border in Spain so could still be subject to travel restrictions despite the summer months.

LGS6753
4th Feb 2021, 15:00
Aren't Wizzair operating LTN-GIB?

barry lloyd
4th Feb 2021, 15:05
Not too sure about Gib. I was denied boarding by BA on 23rd December, after being told the night before that the flight would operate (which it did) and I that I wouild definitely travel (which I didn't). BA blamed Gibraltar for implementing new rules at the last minute.

davidjohnson6
25th Mar 2021, 13:39
Volotea are to start a 2x weekly route (Tuesday + Friday) between Bilbao and Gibraltar effective 02 July

Dorking
25th Mar 2021, 16:48
interesting development and route.

nivsy
26th Mar 2021, 09:40
wonder if the Basque region are by any chance funding this a bit? Twice weekly seems to be tourist orientated.

LTNman
26th Mar 2021, 10:00
This is more of a Spanish domestic route now that Gibraltar is part of the Schengen Area.

Gulfstreamaviator
26th Mar 2021, 10:07
A political route, i suspect.
Gib needs better UK link's.
And a flag carrier. GIB for GIB.

Dorking
26th Mar 2021, 13:59
If its a political route then all the better, as it means the ice is melting and others could flow from it. Handy for a lot of Spain, now Schengen is a reality for them. This Spanish Government seems better disposed to Gibraltar than has been the case for many years. Monarch was the de facto flag carrier after the long defunct Gib Air. One to keep an eye on.

LTNman
26th Mar 2021, 14:12
So do aircraft on approach and on departure still have to stay clear of Spanish airspace? It always made for an interesting approach.

Dorking
26th Mar 2021, 14:23
I think finals are dictated to be in Gib air space but civvy flights come down through Spanish airspace and are handed off to Gib from Seville Centre. Likewise if they abort they get handed straight over to Malaga. Its the Military flights that cannot overfly Spanish air space (Nato) if too and from Gib. Although to be fair this is being discussed at high level to resolve it.

LTNman
26th Mar 2021, 14:35
Page 2 says otherwise in the notes http://www.europlanet.de/vaFsP/charts/LXGB.pdf

When I flew to Gib a couple of years ago the pilot hinted this was the reason for the late turn onto finals

Dorking
30th Mar 2021, 11:45
I see the Foreign Secretary turned up in Gibraltar yesterday for a political visit and arrived in a 146 of Jota rather than one of the RAF`s ..Obviously the Northolt aircraft wouldn`t have received permission to overfly Spain, enroute to and from Gibraltar, so the Government had to charter a civvy jet to get him there and back quicker...

nivsy
30th Mar 2021, 11:49
So how do the A400m, C17 and C130 get to Gib then from UK if not allowed in Spanish AIr Space? I thought the use of the 146 was because the RAF ones were pretty much finished.

Dorking
30th Mar 2021, 12:01
This has been a running sore for decades. The Spanish have always denied military aircraft the right to use their airspace, whilst travelling to and from Gibraltar. So they all route eventually through Portugese air space and sometimes even into Morocco in order to get to their destination. A similar situation exists with the Royal Navy whereby their ships are denied entry to Spanish ports if they are travelling to or from Gibraltar. Its true that discussions are going on with the present Spanish Government to try to resolve this problem..

Re the 146`s they are being phased out but still ongoing afaik..

4eyed anorak
30th Mar 2021, 12:45
I sailed with the Royal Navy from Cadiz to Gibraltar on Hms Cumberland in the early 90s.

Dorking
30th Mar 2021, 12:58
Has been routine since 1989. Its all to do with Spanish sovereignty claims over Gibraltar

Jamesair1
30th Mar 2021, 14:09
Off message, I know, but I've always found it a slightly ironic case when you think about the Spanish enclave on the tip of Morocco which is in the same position and could be claimed back.

nivsy
31st Mar 2021, 03:22
Yes it is ironic...also I always found it mildly amusing that at AGP the airfield was pretty much dominated by British registered aircraft flying to just about every major and not so major city in the UK...gotta love the Spanish hate us....love us...hate us again...🙈

AirUK
31st Mar 2021, 04:46
They have two of them of course, Ceuta, just across the Strait of Gibraltar in Morocco and Melilla, directly South of the Sierra Nevada, across the Alboran Sea, also on the Moroccan coast. Then, whilst not an enclave, there’s also a Spanish Navy base on a small Island just to the North of Melilla, Alboran Island.

LTNman
31st Mar 2021, 05:21
There has been much reporting in Spain of Gibraltar’s vaccination campaign, which is now almost complete with 10,000 Spanish workers also being vaccinated.

It might be that this summer only Gibraltar will have unrestricted access to U.K. holidaymakers seeking the Mediterranean but Gibraltar’s hotel availability is very small which will stifle demand at the airport.

compton3bravo
31st Mar 2021, 06:38
For me Gib is only worth a one night stay, but you can cross over in to Spain as Gibraltar is now in the Schengen area - for how long no one knows - but the catch is you can only go into Cadiz province. So if you fancy a visit to Marbella etc your going to be unlucky. I have a very close friend who lives in Malaga province but works in Gib, she is allowed to travel across the border into Cadiz province and vice versa. So be aware if you are caught you will be fined heavily. I found the Spanish police friendly and helpful, but if you step out of line - you have been warned!

Alteagod
31st Mar 2021, 06:45
Can you still fly from GIB to Tamgier?

Letsflycwl
31st Mar 2021, 06:56
Royal Air Marco operated both CMN & TNG with ATR72 aircraft but both are currently suspended due to the COVID pandemic

STN Ramp Rat
31st Mar 2021, 18:14
Alteagod

I would imagine that's the worlds shortest intercontinental flight

davidjohnson6
31st Mar 2021, 18:47
Helity operate Algeciras-Ceuta... and there is (or used to be) a helicopter route between the 2 sides of Istanbul

Alteagod
31st Mar 2021, 19:31
At least if you on your holybobs in GIB you could two centre with Morocco when flights resume

Aksai Oiler
1st Apr 2021, 12:38
I was under the impression Gib’s entry to Shengen was not concluded yet. There are some wrinkles to iron out first with respect to Frontex and Spain.

Dorking
1st Apr 2021, 13:44
Yes that issue is starting to look very drawn out. They did a deal on the back of a fag packet last New Years Eve but its all stalled since then. GBC is now reporting local controversy re the Volotea route from Bilbao with queries being raised whether or not the route licences are actually in place. The, rather incredulous response from the Gib Government was, its ok by us, we presume Volotea has sorted it all out their end....hmm
Watch this space eh

VickersVicount
3rd Apr 2021, 12:31
I don't think the Volotea route will happen any time soon...

Dorking
3rd Apr 2021, 16:09
You are right. Volotea has pulled the route from their schedules. Appears they didnt have Spanish permission, which is always a hot potato down there. May well come back but not I think this year.

EI-BUD
5th Apr 2021, 18:48
I was struggling to see where the demand for this route would have came from. Iberia axed their short lived Madrid route, so not sure that this Volotea route would have worked. I don't think it would have been inbound tourism to Gibraltar, but equally would have thought the demand outbound from Gibraltar was limited owing to small population....

Alteagod
5th Apr 2021, 18:52
Must agree I did think it was an odd pairing even by Volotea

AirportPlanner1
5th Apr 2021, 20:14
I’m not sure it was so odd with the changing context. GIB can serve some southern areas of Spain more conveniently than Malaga as I’m sure people are aware. Subject to ratification of Gibraltar joining Schengen it would be in effect a domestic flight, no border delays. But obviously that isn’t over the line just yet.

MKY661
5th Apr 2021, 23:08
EI-BUD

Believe it's been over 10 years since there was last a direct service to Spain from Gibraltar. Had the route resumed in 2019 before the pandemic I reckon it might have done OK. The area of Spain around Gib I believe was one of the fastest growing areas in Spain in terms of Tourism., which is a further option rather than Gib itself as noted above.

USERNAME_
8th Apr 2021, 09:52
BA announced this morning that BACF will operate LCY-GIB starting 25th June.

Gulfstreamaviator
8th Apr 2021, 15:18
Twice weekly................ good prices at the moment.

davidjohnson6
8th Apr 2021, 15:22
Can GIB airport cope with all these airlines ? I know the terminal is fairly new but it seems like a lot more than 2019...

richardhall99
8th Apr 2021, 15:40
They have 16 check in desks and five stands with capacity for 1 million passengers annually.

BA318
8th Apr 2021, 17:50
davidjohnson6

The terminal is very spacious. And given most of the new routes are not even daily I doubt they will struggle for space.

LTNman
8th Apr 2021, 20:01
I flew from Gibraltar when there were 3 departures within an hour or so a couple of years ago. Compared with heaving Luton I found the terminal spacious and still all but empty with a great first floor viewing terrace.

Letsflycwl
8th Apr 2021, 20:33
Agree there, been to GIB a few times now and last August there were x3 EZY and x1 BA all within same time frame.....ample space inside the terminal then plus as stated the outside viewing area is great too.

MKY661
20th Jun 2021, 13:02
MAN-GIB goes daily from 1st August till the end of October.

Albert Hall
28th Jun 2021, 21:36
If the ability to send an EMB135 on today's BHX/GIB/SOU in place of the E190 is anything to go by, it looks like loads on the Eastern GIB flights aren't up to much...

allan1987
28th Jun 2021, 21:47
timings seem have changed to

sou 11:15 - 15:10 gib sun/thur
gib 16:00 - 17:55 bhx

bhx 09:15 - 13:10 gib mon/fri
gib 14:00 - 15:50 sou

MARKEYD
29th Jun 2021, 09:26
Loads very light apparently 10 / 15 passengers on the SOU route

Think a lot of people have never heard of Eastern so very unaware of the route

GayFriendly
29th Jun 2021, 11:44
Might be something to do with the eye wateringly high fares. I looked at BHX-GIB return with Eastern and even including petrol and parking, about 50% cheaper to fly from MAN with EZY return.

Then I looked at accommodation and thats where my holiday planning stopped, hoteliers there are certainly taking advantage of being on the UK green list!! Having visited a few times in the past, I'm not willing to pay a small fortune to visit again!

BA318
29th Jun 2021, 11:49
Generally the hotels there are expensive compared to other places. I went on a business trip there in Nov a few years back and the prices were very high. I guess it’s a question of supply and demand. There aren’t that many options for hotels there and a high increase in demand.

Aksai Oiler
29th Jun 2021, 17:04
I’m booked into the Autograph (Marriott) in La Linea next Thursday €90 for two rooms bed an breakfast

Just heading to Gib for some shoppings

OzzyOzBorn
29th Jun 2021, 17:29
But that is the problem. Hotels in La Linea come under Spain / UK Covid rules. Amber list and all that. The attraction of Gibraltar is its Green list status.

compton3bravo
29th Jun 2021, 17:33
Be careful in La Linea Aksai, border town and not the most solubrous place in Spain, lovely beach though, you can watch the inflatables arriving from North Africa!

nivsy
2nd Jul 2021, 07:35
In the event of a go around and nil landing at Gib due to weather, what airfield (country) is BA using as alternate at the moment? AGP or FAO?

MKY661
2nd Jul 2021, 11:17
On Wednesday the EasyJet MAN flight and the BA LHR flight used AGP. Usually it is AGP but been seeing more FAO lately.

OzzyOzBorn
2nd Jul 2021, 14:17
OOPS. Does that flip the pax from green list to amber list?

nivsy
2nd Jul 2021, 14:31
That is exactly my query.

compton3bravo
2nd Jul 2021, 15:26
When I flew out of Gib I never bought any duty free until the inbound flight had landed because if you had to go to Malaga you had to pay tax or they were confiscated at security.

Aksai Oiler
2nd Jul 2021, 16:27
compton3bravo

Well aware, but thanks for the concern. just using it for a number for stop. Have to get from Tbilisi first, but that’s tomorrow’s problem

Rutan16
2nd Jul 2021, 17:25
OzzyOzBorn

Simple answer is yes - Entry exit from/to Spain WILL subject you to amber restrictions if returning the the UK within 10 days

Rutan16
2nd Jul 2021, 17:30
You will need to fill out the landing form, and false declaration along the recorded entry exiting at the Gibraltar borders may lead to prosecution for immigration breeches . Best of luck 🤞

nivsy
10th Jul 2021, 16:37
Are Wizz having a rethink about some of the Gib schedules? I had heard that some flights in August appear to be cancelled?

Dorking
10th Jul 2021, 18:35
GBC just reporting this on Twitter. The Luton flights have been cancelled in August. Wizz had previously advertised extra flights in July but these have now been also withdrawn. I think the Wizz thread on here was reporting that aircraft and crews are being re distributed round Europe due to staff shortages. Shame if the service goes.

MKY661
11th Jul 2021, 08:42
Very heavy delays on today's EZY flights into GIB

Dorking
11th Jul 2021, 11:30
Gib Airport site saying that its due to low cloud. EZY have cancelled the Gatwick flight and are holding the Bristol and Manchester. Strangely though the BA flight arrived and departed without trouble, whilst the local webcams show a murky day but clear visibility of the field. Seems to be an Easyjet problem, especially with cancellations. I wonder if they haven`t got enough flight crews up to speed yet. But certainly not enhancing their reputation.

MKY661
11th Jul 2021, 12:08
I saw before that on Saturday the evening LGW flight diverted to FAO and went back to LGW with the outbound passengers still aboard, but no passengers were allowed off in FAO due to restrictions. It could maybe be related to that? Whether EasyJet are now diverting to FAO instead of AGP on a permanent basis remains to be seen, as I know they've been using there instead since the start of the pandemic whilst BA continue to use AGP for diversions.

compton3bravo
11th Jul 2021, 12:54
The Wizzair flights are on sale from September right through the winter. easyJet did the same for July and August from Luton pre-covid for a couple of years.

CabinCrewe
11th Jul 2021, 16:50
How did the first EDI-GIB do?

MKY661
5th Feb 2022, 11:20
Wizz Air have suspended LTN-GIB for Summer 2022. They have however not ruled out a return in the future.

Interesting to see that both EasyJet & Wizz have dropped Luton now whereas Monarch could make it work. Mind you, both reduced the schedules during the peak summer season where arguably demand for here is best. I wonder If they ever advertise it as a gateway to Southern Spain too, or could it not have been a very profitable route for Monarch during the time?

nivsy
5th Feb 2022, 11:29
Wizz Air have suspended LTN-GIB for Summer 2022. They have however not ruled out a return in the future.

Interesting to see that both EasyJet & Wizz have dropped Luton now whereas Monarch could make it work. Mind you, both reduced the schedules during the peak summer season where arguably demand for here is best. I wonder If they ever advertise it as a gateway to Southern Spain too, or could it not have been a very profitable route for Monarch during the time?
I suspect that as back in the day schedules to Gib were really only from Heathrow or Gatwick Luton and Manchester. Luton was at the time a fairly attractive market with holiday makers. Wizz and easyJet coming to the Gib party is fairly recent. Changed times and ofcourse the coming and goings into Gibraltar is attractive for UK holiday makers but Spain (for Andulicia) is maybe not presently quite as easy and straight forward as it was.

CabinCrewe
5th Feb 2022, 13:24
wont be the last UK-GIB route to go… never really understood the sudden flurry of UK services.

BA318
5th Feb 2022, 15:43
wont be the last UK-GIB route to go… never really understood the sudden flurry of UK services.

It was fairly obvious. GIB was one of the few destinations which had easy entry requirements at the time plus the GIB gov was offering enticements to carriers to launch services.

CabinCrewe
5th Feb 2022, 17:06
It was fairly obvious. GIB was one of the few destinations which had easy entry requirements at the time plus the GIB gov was offering enticements to carriers to launch services.
Obvious to who? Several of the routes were planned/launched before covid (EZY GIB-EDI was 2019). I have no knowledge of a set date announcement for all carriers of a sudden new Gib gov incentive. Can you share?

VickersVicount
5th Feb 2022, 17:10
GIB have a small marketing team and a budget grant for incentives, but this is longstanding. No sudden link to the rash of new routes especially those pre covid.
Some later route launches did unwittingly jump on covid bandwagon and so yes there is surprise they didn't expect to fail or fall off said wagon.

LTNman
5th Feb 2022, 19:23
Never a summer service from Easyjet from Luton but there was always good loads both way when I went in March 2019.

BA318
5th Feb 2022, 20:38
Obvious to who? Several of the routes were planned/launched before covid (EZY GIB-EDI was 2019). I have no knowledge of a set date announcement for all carriers of a sudden new Gib gov incentive. Can you share?

I wasn’t saying it was a sudden new incentive. They offer incentives and have often been quoted as saying they are working hard on getting airlines. Ministers have been involved in it.

As to the covid routes I was thinking of Eastern to Birmingham and Southampton, Wizz, BA to LCY. Most of which now seem to have been dropped.

Matt995
5th Feb 2022, 23:01
Gibraltar - Birmingham flights still showing with Eastern for summer, twice a week (Monday/Friday) from 4th April to the 29th August on their only E190

MKY661
6th Feb 2022, 09:01
EDI-GIB was indeed launched on sale in 2019 but didn't operate until 2021, They also ran daily MAN-GIB flights last summer which has never happened before, and they'll be doing that again this Summer. Did agree that Southampton & London-City were a bit of an oddball. I can see Luton returning in the future where demand for travel really picks up, who knows if it'll be EasyJet or Wizz operating it,

nivsy
6th Feb 2022, 09:50
EDI-GIB was indeed launched on sale in 2019 but didn't operate until 2021, They also ran daily MAN-GIB flights last summer which has never happened before, and they'll be doing that again this Summer. Did agree that Southampton & London-City were a bit of an oddball. I can see Luton returning in the future where demand for travel really picks up, who knows if it'll be EasyJet or Wizz operating it,
How well did the EDI operate? Successful? When I was shuttling back and forth from Gib there were many Scots crying out for a Scottish service to Gib. All pre COVID of course. Many also just went to AGP preferring the prices of easyJet and at the time FlyGlobespan rather than routing via LHR or LGW.

inOban
6th Feb 2022, 10:03
The EDI service has operated sporadically during the winter and is bookable 3/wk throughout S22.

MerchantVenturer
6th Feb 2022, 13:27
An airport that is often overlooked is Bristol, perhaps unsurprisingly given its modest size site nestling sleepily amongst the fields in the agreeable West Country.

BRS has had an easyJet Gibraltar service since 2015 that operates year round at mainly 3 x, sometimes 2 x, weekly. In the immediate pre-pandemic years it carried 48,000 to 50,000 passengers annually which, given the service frequency, seems to equate to decent loadings. We can't know the yield of course, but one might be justified in concluding that if it was dire the airline would not have retained the route for the past seven years. It's due to increase from its current 2 x weekly to 3 at the end of this month, thereafter the booking engine is showing 3 x weekly, except April which is 2, until the end of the summer timetable period. The BRS experience might suggest that it is possible to operate to Gibraltar from an airport that doesn't serve a major metropolitan area.

CAA stats show that in the calendar year of 2019 the annual passenger totals on UK-Gibraltar routes were:

Gatwick 193,000
Heathrow 163,000
Manchester 51,000
Bristol 50,000
Luton 26,000

PAXboy
6th Feb 2022, 15:20
I have to go to GIB in October for a wedding and had presumed that the LTN service would not be operating. My next closest is LHR so may just have to stump up the price. Travelling to LCY or BHX meets the law of diminishing returns.

inOban
6th Feb 2022, 15:28
Can't you get a Thameslink train to lgw?

nivsy
23rd Feb 2022, 06:58
Has Eastern Airlines dropped GIB or were they always seasonal? SOU and BHX?

SKOJB
23rd Feb 2022, 07:43
Has Eastern Airlines dropped GIB or were they always seasonal? SOU and BHX?

SOU dropped, BHX summer seasonal

gdiddy
23rd Feb 2022, 12:51
SOU dropped, BHX summer seasonal
Thats a weird one, both Gibraltar and Birmingham airports show the route to be operating this Summer, but when you look on the Eastern Airways website there are no routes bookable from Birmingham or Gibraltar and don't even show the airports in the booking list.

NickBarnes
23rd Feb 2022, 13:08
Birmingham has been dropped as per SeanM1997 on twitter

Saabdriver1
23rd Feb 2022, 14:51
Probably read PPruNe, suddenly realised they'd left it on sale by accident and pulled it.

RA85684
20th Dec 2022, 22:18
Very interesting to see G-POWU pull up next to us at Gibraltar today. Any insight as to the reason for this flight? I take it some form of charter. Appeared to arrive empty from Birmingham and operated back into STN. Also looks to have operated BHX-GIB-BHX yesterday.

GrahamK
21st Dec 2022, 05:49
Very interesting to see G-POWU pull up next to us at Gibraltar today. Any insight as to the reason for this flight? I take it some form of charter. Appeared to arrive empty from Birmingham and operated back into STN. Also looks to have operated BHX-GIB-BHX yesterday. ​​​​​​​Morrisons Home delivery....literally

Wycombe
21st Dec 2022, 07:11
Morrisons Home delivery....literally

In my working life we had Morrisons as a major client, and somebody there once told a colleague that their Gibraltar store is their most profitable, despite the obvious supply chain expense.

I've been on several cruise ship stops there in recent years and as soon as docked you'll see hoardes of crew heading there to stock up.

Derry321
21st Dec 2022, 08:46
https://www.gbc.gi/news/morrisons-gibraltar-charters-two-planes-bringing-over-products-animal-origin

I suspect with some of the issues with the Spanish authorities at the Frontier that this may become a regular occurrence

As well as the local population, thousands of ex-pats from Costa del Sol head down to Gib for their Morrisons fix

RA85684
21st Dec 2022, 10:31
Fascinating! Kinda love that, absolutely mad though.

Aksai Oiler
21st Dec 2022, 12:54
https://www.gbc.gi/news/morrisons-gibraltar-charters-two-planes-bringing-over-products-animal-origin

I suspect with some of the issues with the Spanish authorities at the Frontier that this may become a regular occurrence

As well as the local population, thousands of ex-pats from Costa del Sol head down to Gib for their Morrisons fix

I will be down there tomorrow, once I have gotten out of this Frankfurt hell hole

compton3bravo
21st Dec 2022, 13:19
Apparently it is not as popular nowadays with ex-pats mainly due to restrictions of certain products from non EU countries entering the EU. Also a number of franchise shops have opened in recent times in the southern Costa del Sol for example Waitrose, M&S.

barry lloyd
21st Dec 2022, 15:29

Their petrol station must also be one of the busiest for many miles (kms) around!

LTNman
21st Dec 2022, 17:20
Apparently it is not as popular nowadays with ex-pats mainly due to restrictions of certain products from non EU countries entering the EU. Also a number of franchise shops have opened in recent times in the southern Costa del Sol for example Waitrose, M&S.

All ridiculous nonsense. The majority of people crossing the border each day are Spanish workers. Does this mean that every night these workers will be stripped searched in case they are concealing pigs in blankets?

ATNotts
21st Dec 2022, 19:52
All ridiculous nonsense. The majority of people crossing the border each day are Spanish workers. Does this mean that every night these workers will be stripped searched in case they are concealing pigs in blankets?
Not nonsense at all! Spanish customs will target their inspections and they will be taking a closer look at UK passport holders who I would suggest would be more likely to be smuggling fresh foods from GIB to the EU.

compton3bravo
22nd Dec 2022, 07:21
Sorry LTNman, I would think I have crossed that border more than you have had ??. It is not only customs there is the Guardia Civile (only time being saluted by a po!iceman) and occasionally the Policia National (the heavy mob) bashing car sills, tyres etc looking mainly for drugs and cigarettes. Had even had a bit of agro on the way in from the Gib Police but I have found the Giberines not particularly friendly.

LTNman
22nd Dec 2022, 08:11
All hopefully about to come to an end. This from last week.

https://www.politico.eu/article/uk-and-spain-close-in-on-post-brexit-deal-for-gibraltar/

Wednesday’s discussion focused on a detailed proposal unveiled by the Commission last month — and endorsed by Spain — to remove the fence at the land border with Gibraltar and relocate customs checks to Gibraltar’s airport and port. The fence has been the source of many historical disputes.

MKY661
17th Jan 2023, 20:26
Looks like EasyJet have dropped EDI-GIB for Summer 2023. Was originally bookable until September 2023 with gaps between now and March & between July & September, but looks to be gone completely now

Derry321
17th Jan 2023, 20:57
Looks like EasyJet have dropped EDI-GIB for Summer 2023. Was originally bookable until September 2023 with gaps between now and March & between July & September, but looks to be gone completely now
A real shame - UK regionals to GIB have always struggled. London will always be fine .. two way traffic ... VFR, universities, medical treatment, affluent Londoners with homes south of Estepona etc. Gibraltar is a fantastic destination in it's own right, but capacity limited (in my opinion only two decent hotels) but needs to be seen as a convenient gateway to the southern Costa del Sol - perhaps the latest news out of Madrid may help that

nivsy
18th Jan 2023, 01:48
I'm surprised seasonal GIB has gone from EDI with EZY. Would have thought it a winner frankly. Anyone got previous pax figures? I know it's hard one because of COVID times so not sure really what it can tell us.

davidjohnson6
16th Nov 2023, 09:45
Gibraltar in winter sometimes gets fog. Along with a non-trivial approach and a limited runway, this causes a number of flights to divert to Malaga.

Would anyone be able to say what time of day in winter Gibraltar is most or least at risk of fog ? I'm guessing morning tends to see fog with it usually burning off by early afternoon... but would be very grateful if somebody knowledgeable about Gibraltar's meteorology could give some advice

compton3bravo
17th Nov 2023, 14:07
Hi David, my take on the weather problems at Gib is more wind than fog after chatting to a number of flight deck crews when using the airport. With the relatively cool Atlantic meeting the relatively warm Mediterranean that is where the problems with fog arise but it is the wind swerling round the rock which causes the unstable air on final approach.
Monarch and BA was/is Captains only but after chatting to a very experienced easyJet Captain (once flew for Sabre Airways) it is Captain's only for both take off and landing. Having used Gib many times only had one divert which was actually tech with the replacement aircraft operating to Malaga as the crew did not have enough experience of operating into Gib. Maybe I have been lucky. Hope this helps.

aw ditor
18th Nov 2023, 14:54
Your'e right, its the wind/turbulence'.

MKY661
20th Dec 2023, 10:09
EasyJet Schedules for Summer 2024:

MAN goes from daily to 4pw, though does run 6pw in July & August

LGW runs 13pw throughout the season, with just one flight on the Tuesday

BRS down to 2pw, also worth noting unlike the other two routes, this one is currently not bookable after October 2024, although I know these have only just gone on sale.