PDA

View Full Version : ‘Left downwind’ in a right hand circuit?

Supermattt
14th Dec 2020, 09:09
Hello,

i was asked to join ‘left downwind’ in a right hand circuit the other day. It confused me and I asked the tower to confirm right hand circuit, which they did.

Does ‘left downwind’ just mean, downwind? Does anyone else find this confusing?

Cheers
Matt

Jan Olieslagers
14th Dec 2020, 09:25
'Left downwind' is (slightly) incorrect anyway.
'Downwind' with no further specification implicitly includes the default 'left'
I suppose it was a slip of the tongue by the tower operator.

ShyTorque
14th Dec 2020, 09:44
Bearing in mind that in that case, with the published circuit being right hand, perhaps “Join LEFT HAND, downwind”, with emphasis on the “left hand”, might have been less confusing.

Momoe
14th Dec 2020, 10:14
Sorry, agree with the OP, it's confusing to use the word left in any sense when the prevailing circuits are right hand.

Give runway in use, wind speed/direction, QFE and circuit traffic advisory if appropriate.

CloudChopper95
14th Dec 2020, 10:58
Agreed. Maybe could have said join dead side

Sorry, agree with the OP, it's confusing to use the word left in any sense when the prevailing circuits are right hand.

Give runway in use, wind speed/direction, QFE and circuit traffic advisory if appropriate.

Hot 'n' High
14th Dec 2020, 11:22
Bearing in mind that in that case, with the published circuit being right hand, perhaps “Join LEFT HAND, downwind”, with emphasis on the “left hand”, might have been less confusing.

Shy, I think, from the OP, that it was a RH circuit they were to fly so the above would not have been correct on that day. What ATC, confusingly (and in a non-standard way) seemed to mean was "join downwind on the left hand side of the airfield for a right hand cct"!!!!

The CAP used to say (and what should have been said to the OP) was "G-CD, join righthand downwind Rw 27 Ht 1000 ft QFE 1006" which specified a RH cct. It said, in explanation, "When the traffic circuit is a RH pattern it shall be specified. A LH pattern need not be specified although it is essential to do so when the cct direction is variable.." (their bold!).

On related thread creep, best cct ATC ever was many years back when Southampton was GA-friendly and, with a very busy cct one Saturday, a "fly in" by a French aeroclub arrived en masse. Utter chaos ensued with, eventually, the following classic from ATC:-

"All UK traffic, Tower, all orbit your in your current positions - and keep a very good lookout - I'll call you in once they have all landed!!!". After about 5 minutes, a further 5 or 6 planes had plonked themselves onto the runway with no further ATC input and, eventually, the poor ATCO started to sequence us all back round the cct again! :}

It sort of reminded me of a mini-BoB - planes darting in for the numbers from all different directions. Oddly, they all managed to pick the one runway direction which, I believe by pure chance, was actually the active one!!!! :ok:

3wheels
14th Dec 2020, 14:03
Hello,

i was asked to join ‘left downwind’ in a right hand circuit the other day. It confused me and I asked the tower to confirm right hand circuit, which they did.

Does ‘left downwind’ just mean, downwind? Does anyone else find this confusing?

Cheers
Matt

Assuming it is full ATC (you say Tower and you say you were asked to join left downwind) then I would assume he was clearing you to join downwind for a left hand circuit whilst a right hand circuit was generally in use. There could be many reasons for this, the most obvious being that you were approaching from that direction. It’s not at all unusual, so just read back...”Roger G-xxxx to join left hand downwind”. He will soon correct you if it’s wrong.

Check Airman
14th Dec 2020, 14:24
Assuming it is full ATC (you say Tower and you say you were asked to join left downwind) then I would assume he was clearing you to join downwind for a left hand circuit whilst a right hand circuit was generally in use. There could be many reasons for this, the most obvious being that you were approaching from that direction. It’s not at all unusual, so just read back...”Roger G-xxxx to join left hand downwind”. He will soon correct you if it’s wrong.

I’d agree with this. Normally, they do right turns, but for whatever reason, the ATC needed you to do a left pattern. Quite common at busy training airports in the US.

Pilot DAR
14th Dec 2020, 14:56

Yes, this.

It is totally fair and wise of you to ask for clarification/confirmation if you don't understand. Once a tower instruction is clear, follow it. It is a very wise habit to read back the critical element of a clearance. Not necessarily required for VFR flying, but very wise. Because, if by chance, what you read back is what you understood, but not what the controller said, it then becomes the controller's responsibility to sort it out. Read back what you understand to do, then do what you read back.

meleagertoo
14th Dec 2020, 15:37
Seems clear enough to me. He instructed you to join downwind for a left hand circuit, regardless of what hand the rest of the traffic is doing.
So join LH downwind and call it, Tower will pick that up if it wasn't what they'd intended. If still in doubt you might ask if you'll need to extend your downind leg before turning left base.

golfbananajam
14th Dec 2020, 16:06
Shy, I think, from the OP, that it was a RH circuit they were to fly so the above would not have been correct on that day. What ATC, confusingly (and in a non-standard way) seemed to mean was "join downwind on the left hand side of the airfield for a right hand cct"!!!!

The CAP used to say (and what should have been said to the OP) was "G-CD, join righthand downwind Rw 27 Ht 1000 ft QFE 1006" which specified a RH cct. It said, in explanation, "When the traffic circuit is a RH pattern it shall be specified. A LH pattern need not be specified although it is essential to do so when the cct direction is variable.." (their bold!).

On related thread creep, best cct ATC ever was many years back when Southampton was GA-friendly and, with a very busy cct one Saturday, a "fly in" by a French aeroclub arrived en masse. Utter chaos ensued with, eventually, the following classic from ATC:-

"All UK traffic, Tower, all orbit your in your current positions - and keep a very good lookout - I'll call you in once they have all landed!!!". After about 5 minutes, a further 5 or 6 planes had plonked themselves onto the runway with no further ATC input and, eventually, the poor ATCO started to sequence us all back round the cct again! :}

It sort of reminded me of a mini-BoB - planes darting in for the numbers from all different directions. Oddly, they all managed to pick the one runway direction which, I believe by pure chance, was actually the active one!!!! :ok:

I had somethign similar in Le Touquet many years ago. Fly out (half a dozen a/c) form my club arriving from the South, several arriving from UK plus the Trislander coming in IFR. Poor guy in Le Touquet sorted out the Trislander then eventually gave up and just told us to get on with it, keep a good lookout and make all the normal positioning calls.

ShyTorque
14th Dec 2020, 16:20

Yes, my understanding was that ATC wanted the OP to join from the left. Nothing wrong with that. ATC are perfectly entitled to control joining traffic - it's their job!

One reason might have been where an aircraft is about to depart and the joining aircraft is on the left side of the runway. Joining for the "correct" right hand downwind would require the joining aircraft to cross the climb out, whereas joining downwind left side wouldn't.

I can't understand why some think this is a big issue.

Hot 'n' High
14th Dec 2020, 16:42
........ ATC are perfectly entitled to control joining traffic.

I agree, but (a) this seems not to be the case here and (b) when they do, it's usually conditional if the other cct has traffic which appears to be what alerted Supermattt in this instance.

If there is no other traffic, right or left does not matter - ATC will tell you and off you go. But, in this case, Supermattt seems to have heard RH cct traffic so questioned ATC who then contradicted what they'd said ("left hand") and confirmed they wanted Sm to actually fly a RH cct. The use of the word "left hand downwind" is not appropriate (according to the CAP) for a RH cct. I think we need Supermattt to clear up our confusion now. :\

I have, on occasions, flown a mixed contra-circuit in the UK, usually to fit in with some "cunning ATCO master plan" or similar and it was always loaded up with "conditionals" and warnings so I'd get something along the lines of (assuming everyone else was on a left hand cct) "C/S, join right hand downwind for 27 right hand circuit, report ready for right Base. You are currently No 2 to the traffic just turning downwind in the left hand circuit. Report when you have that traffic in sight". Usually, once I'd confirmed "visual" the clearance changed to something like "With that traffic in sight, report Final as No 2, you may extend downwind for spacing". As you say 3wheels (and Shy!!), it can save crossing the departure lane to join downwind.

The confusion here seems to be that ATC cleared Sm for "left hand downwind" but wanted Sm to fly a RH cct. We need Supermattt to explain!!

ShyTorque
14th Dec 2020, 17:09
H'n'H,

But you're not in the circuit until you have actually joined the circuit...It seems that he was told to JOIN from the left but then ATC simply confirmed that any subsequent circuit (if flown) was to be flown to the right.

If you flew helicopters, or operated from a larger airport, you would have to become VERY much used to being told to do this sort of thing.

Local Variation
14th Dec 2020, 17:27
H'n'H,

But you're not in the circuit until you have actually joined the circuit...It seems that he was told to JOIN from the left but then ATC simply confirmed that any subsequent circuit (if flown) was to be flown to the right.

If you flew helicopters, or operated from a larger airport, you would have to become VERY much used to being told to do this sort of thing.

Indeed. I remember a local CAA safety briefing evening some years ago. The Speaker bringing excellent clarity regarding turn directions in the circuit, albeit based on the standard overhead join.

If the circuit is left hand, every future turn you make from entering the overhead to turning final should only be to the left. And conversely for right hand circuits. Obviously circuit orbiting should be an initial turn away from the runway, which flies in the face of this, but the general gist is sound.

TheOddOne
14th Dec 2020, 17:58
Obviously circuit orbiting should be an initial turn away from the runway, which flies in the face of this,

...which makes it so highly dangerous and to be avoided at all costs. If baulked in the circuit, the safest procedure (and standard at several airfields) is to continue to fly the circuit at circuit height/altitude until able to have sufficient spacing to approach and land. Next best, but only when it's quiet, is to 'extend downwind' but doing this when there is following traffic means that you wind up with a trail of aircraft behind you, inevitably one will see an opportunity to short-circuit (pun intended) and cut everyone else up.

TOO

ShyTorque
14th Dec 2020, 18:12
...which makes it so highly dangerous and to be avoided at all costs. If baulked in the circuit, the safest procedure (and standard at several airfields) is to continue to fly the circuit at circuit height/altitude until able to have sufficient spacing to approach and land. Next best, but only when it's quiet, is to 'extend downwind' but doing this when there is following traffic means that you wind up with a trail of aircraft behind you, inevitably one will see an opportunity to short-circuit (pun intended) and cut everyone else up.

TOO

If you're at an airfield with ATC as was the OP's case, you need to comply with what they tell you to do. I had one particular incident where I popped out of cloud at 140 kts on the ILS at a busy UK airport (having been cleared to land) only to find a Cessna 152 less than 100 metres ahead and slightly below. I had no option but to overtake him on the left. The pilot had been told to hold on right base, but didn't.

Fl1ingfrog
14th Dec 2020, 18:29
i was asked to join ‘left downwind’ in a right hand circuit the other day. Does ‘left downwind’ just mean, downwind? ................Does anyone else find this confusing?

Not confusing at all - it was utter rubbish! You had your wits about you and queried things. You then, I presume, got on with it in the proper way. From the phrasing as you quote it, it doesn't sound like a qualified ATC to me by the way. Remember a qualified controller is never in charge of your aeroplane and never wants to be. So, never let your guard down because we all make mistakes, ATC no less.

Hot 'n' High
14th Dec 2020, 18:39
H'n'H,...... If you flew helicopters, or operated from a larger airport, you would have to become VERY much used to being told to do this sort of thing.

Lol! :ok: Maybe I know a just a little more than you give me credit for! But no hard feelings! I've made my case ..... over to others!!

Keep up the good work tho Shy - we may be talking past each other this time but usually you are an "oasis of sanity" on this site! A rare animal indeed! :ok:

Have a good eve! Cheers, H 'n' H

Fl1ingfrog
14th Dec 2020, 19:27
The best and most effective way to create circuit spacing is to slow down as required, which is not difficult, and will allow you to maintain the correct pattern. This is, for all of us, easily achieved and is also just as we do in our car, several times, on the way to the airfield.

ShyTorque
14th Dec 2020, 19:35
Keep up the good work tho Shy - we may be talking past each other this time but usually you are an "oasis of sanity" on this site! A rare animal indeed!

Thanks for the compliment - similarly rare on this website! :O

I think what this discussion has brought out is that the radio call that the OP heard was rather ambiguous. If in doubt, clarify with ATC - use the radio!

horizon flyer
14th Dec 2020, 20:56
Thanks for the heads up on TCAS found this description TCAS: Preventing Mid-Air Collisions - AeroSavvy (https://aerosavvy.com/tcas/)
and how Santa's sleigh is TCAS equipped, with the speed he moves I think he needs PAW, SE2, Flarm
and of course for see and be seen he has Rudolph's red nose.
I see that no GPS is used and only works by giving level changes but no heading changes.
Directional aerial and signal power seem to give location of threat when the TCAS triggers other Transponders
then they talk to each other to decide on actions or if one party has no TCAS what to do.
Seems no outside support needed. PAW does range the same way for mode C & S.

Hot 'n' High
14th Dec 2020, 21:56
Thanks for the compliment - similarly rare on this website! :O

I think what this discussion has brought out is that the radio call that the OP heard was rather ambiguous. If in doubt, clarify with ATC - use the radio!

No probs Shy! And could not agree more! Use the radio, follow whats happening around you, if in doubt, shout out and always look out for the hidden traps .... and work together. No-one is infallible (tho some are more accident-prone than others - so Mrs H 'n' H tells me each time I goof up!).

ATC have "saved" me when I've got it wrong. And I've even "saved" ATC when they've set up something that just ain't gonna work!

Teamwork (at every level) is what keeps us all safe! Just a humble observation after 40 years in various fields of Aviation!

As I said, I'll step back - I've bored you all enough!! :ok:

H Peacock
14th Dec 2020, 23:04
Not confusing at all - it was utter rubbish! You had your wits about you and queried things. You then, I presume, got on with it in the proper way. From the phrasing as you quote it, it doesn't sound like a qualified ATC to me by the way. Remember a qualified controller is never in charge of your aeroplane and never wants to be. So, never let your guard down because we all make mistakes, ATC no less.

I don’t agree with you there Fl1! Although context is very relevant, it was a perfectly reasonable bit of ATC-ing. The circuit was clearly RH, yet ATC wanted the joiner to position on the LH side for the join. If ATC knew there was unlikely to be any confliction with existing cct traffic turning Final at the same time (or base-leg if it was a square cct), then no issue whatsoever.

Regarding the phraseology, if ATC hadn't used ‘LH’ the the joiner would probably have (incorrectly) assumed they were meant to join RH downwind. Having frequently operated at one particular airfield with a normally RH cct, we have to fly a LH cct (wont bore you with why). We therefore specifically ask to join for “Two-two-left”, not just “Two-two” with the assumption that by not saying “right” it must be left. At another airfield nearby, due to vastly different cct speeds, they operate a mix of left and right-hand ccts for visual traffic - albeit we invariable include “north-side or “south-side” to confirm where we are!

Pugilistic Animus
14th Dec 2020, 23:19
I heard "left traffic" like a billion times...ATC is a priority therefore if they say make left traffic that's what you do

Momoe
15th Dec 2020, 06:22
In reply to H Peacock, referring to the OP's original post, the whole point of the post is that "Join left downwind" is ambiguous, how does this convey that the cct is "Clearly RH"?
It is difficult not knowing if there was any prior communication, especially if ATC knew position of plane relative to cct; if you were dealing with a tyro who was on the dead side and understood this to mean join downwind for a LH cct, that's a lot of holes in the cheese lined up.

jmmoric
15th Dec 2020, 11:51
According to DOC4444:

b) JOIN [(direction of circuit)] (position in circuit) (runway number) [SURFACE] WIND (direction and speed) (units) [TEMPERATURE [MINUS] (number)] QNH (or QFE) (number) [(units)] [TRAFFIC (detail)];

According to DOC9432

4.6.1 Requests for instructions to join the traffic circuit should be made in sufficient time to allow for a planned entry into the circuit taking other traffic into account. When the traffic circuit is in a right-hand pattern this should be specified. A left-hand pattern need not be specified although it may be advisable to do so if there has been a recent change where the circuit direction is variable.

Further:
"G-CD JOIN RIGHT HAND DOWNWIND RUNWAY 34 WIND 330 DEGREES 10 KNOTS QNH 1012"

So to sum it up, DOC444 and 9432 does not seem to consider a published right hand circuit, and how to act in that case.

Less Hair
15th Dec 2020, 12:03
Reading back instructions as understood whether right or wrong should clear up things pretty fast. I think it is worded confusing as well.

Fl1ingfrog
15th Dec 2020, 14:58
"G-CD REPORT RIGHT HAND DOWNWIND 34 QNH 1012"

Is all that is required, the presumption is always that without a condition/routing being added you fly direct to the point cleared. The surface wind is instant and therefore is passed when the pilot reports "Final". The surface wind may of course be requested at an any time but will still also be passed on the pilot reporting final.

If there is any doubt the controller may transmit: "route direct downwind right hand runway 34, QNH 1012". Whenever a non standard instruction is being passed it is encouraged for the controller to give an explanation "if time permits".

Maoraigh1
15th Dec 2020, 18:31
With full ATC, I am not surprised to be told "Join and report left/right downwind/base". I do whatever they say. If unable to see other traffic, I ask ATC for their position. If told to orbit at some position I do so.
With a mix of IFR and VFR traffic, of varying speeds, this is efficient and safe.
Slowing down seems potentially dangerous to me.

Fl1ingfrog
15th Dec 2020, 19:04
Slowing down seems potentially dangerous to me.

If your catching up with the aircraft ahead of you then slow down, this is basic airmanship. How else do you avoid grinding the tail plane off the aircraft ahead or tail chasing them down the final approach. Obviously it will be dangerous to slow down below the aircrafts minimum safe speed. If the circuit is controlled by ATC then the controller will ensure safe separation including sometimes an orbit. Without ATC: orbiting, extending downwind or flying a larger pattern is precarious and should not be encouraged. .

captainsmiffy
15th Dec 2020, 22:34
Well arent we a typical bunch of pilots, overcomplicating things with rules and nitpicking on their understanding etc?! 31 posts above, many of which ‘clarifying’ what was said and yet, somehow at loggerheads with each other!! An ATC instruction should not be subject to interpretation but should, instead, be unambiguous and clear. If not, then something is seriously wrong with the message. I have 14,000 hours - including 3000 of which teaching circuits in light aeroplanes - and I would have been confused by that instruction...if it needs this much interpretation, it aint right!!

H Peacock
16th Dec 2020, 00:45
Hey, Captain Smiffy; it is indeed a funny old game! I recall flying a Bulldog (XX549) from Woodvale to Blackpool back in the 80s. We were given a similar instruction - to report right base for a normally left-hand circuit. Now I was just a stude back then, but when my QFI (Uncle Rod) asked me what ATC meant, I managed to work it out! 🤔.

RPM Max, Mixture Fully Rich, Induction air Cold, Booster. Pump On, Flap - Inter, Harness Tight, Canopy Locked, Brakes Off.

Happy Days!

rudestuff
16th Dec 2020, 06:20
If I were told to join left downwind, I would join the left downwind. Just saying...

UV
16th Dec 2020, 07:58
I wonder whether the OP, who is looking for advice and may well be inexperienced or a student, misheard what was said? This is not a criticism.... anybody at that stage could make a genuine mistake.

jmmoric
16th Dec 2020, 08:55
"G-CD REPORT RIGHT HAND DOWNWIND 34 QNH 1012"

Is all that is required, the presumption is always that without a condition/routing being added you fly direct to the point cleared. The surface wind is instant and therefore is passed when the pilot reports "Final". The surface wind may of course be requested at an any time but will still also be passed on the pilot reporting final.

If there is any doubt the controller may transmit: "route direct downwind right hand runway 34, QNH 1012". Whenever a non standard instruction is being passed it is encouraged for the controller to give an explanation "if time permits".

Talking for controllers outside the UK, and according to ICAO.

The correct phrase is "JOIN (position in circuit)....", nothing else, you could use "CLEARED DIRECT..." or "PROCEED DIRECT..." if you really want to stress it out though, or at least those are words out of normal phraseology. Don't assume anything, a "REPORT (position in circuit)..." is not a clearance per definition and does not relieve the pilot from entering and flying the circuit as properly should. Same goes the other way, I wouldn't assume a pilot enters and flies the circuit correct if I ask him to "REPORT BASE....", some do, some don't... and you learn by observing pilots.

Same with wind, ICAO dictates we give runway in use and wind prior to entering the circuit, it can be given via ATIS though. Most of us probably give it as part of the landing clearance as well, though the requirement is only for significant changes to a previous report.

And technically, the surface wind given by a TWR is not "instant", it's an mean wind direction and speed observation taken over 2 minutes with variations from this mean wind and speed within the last 10 minutes also reported, a gust has to last at least 3 seconds to be included. If the gust is more than 10 knots from the mean, you should be given a minimum and maximum speed instead of the mean speed. Same with variations... So no, you don't get an instant wind, unless you ask for it.

Generally we read the display, which should be set up according to the above.

Pilot DAR
16th Dec 2020, 09:37
The correct phrase is "JOIN (position in circuit)....", nothing else, you could use "CLEARED DIRECT..." or "PROCEED DIRECT..."

Though I know it varies region to region, I was trained to distinguish between an ATC instruction and an ATC clearance. A pilot is required to comply with an instruction, unless it is not possible, a clearance is not an instruction, though is usually to reply to the pilot's request, so compliance would be anticipated. So I would expect an instruction to JOIN the left downwind - not optional, infraction if not complied (unless I request a change, which is acknowledged). When I am CLEARED to land, that's not an instruction, I can overshoot if I need to. A variation of that I have received has been LAND TO HOLD SHORT (omitting the word CLEARED), so I expect to be required to actually land and stop prior to the specified point, or, say that I cannot comply (airplane type/winds/skill). My experience has been that a LAND TO HOLD SHORT instruction usually follows agreement that the pilot could comply, and is expedient to the pilot's benefit.

If what I have written above is in conflict with local/regional practice, of course do the local thing, but understand the nuance of an instruction compared to a clearance, in case it makes a difference, or favours your request....

cattletruck
16th Dec 2020, 10:04
Perhaps it's just me but joining left downwind makes it clear right hand circuits are in operation - even if I arrive inverted.

Dave Gittins
16th Dec 2020, 11:56
Ah good 'ole PPRuNers …. Supermattt threw a question in 2 days back and 37 posts later (without his reply to the responses) we are still arguing what he meant or what ATC/FISO should have said/done without any clear idea what the issue is.

Ain't this an object lesson at a number of levels in "If it ain't clear ….. ASK."

jmmoric
16th Dec 2020, 11:58

Definately, there are always regional or national differences.

You as the pilot always has the final call in the operation of the aircraft, no matter if you get a clearance or an instruction (me as well, fly myself).

No worries, we expect the unexpected, as long as we don't have to take our feet of the desk.

Hot 'n' High
16th Dec 2020, 12:24
Well arent we a typical bunch of pilots, overcomplicating things with rules and nitpicking on their understanding etc?! 31 posts above, many of which ‘clarifying’ what was said and yet, somehow at loggerheads with each other!! ........

... and yet we all happily fly around with no problems!!!! I suspect what this simply underlines is just how important "situational awareness" is to us all on a daily basis without us realising it as, usually, instructions from ATC make complete sense and we just do what is required - even if upside down if you are cattletruck!!! In the case of the OP, the ATC instruction seemed to conflict with their "situational awareness/expectation picture" so they requested clarification. We are judging this case without fully understanding what else has gone on prior to this to give it propper context.

On a lighter note, I was Downwind once and met someone coming "Downwind" the other way which caught me out a tad. I immediately asked for confirmation of the RW and circuit direction and ATC confirmed I was in the right but asked why I'd questioned it. After I'd explained the reason there was a big sigh from ATC followed by "Absolutely nothing to do with me! Erm, you didn't happen to get his Reg as he flew past you?". It was an excellent de-brief point with my Student as to why you should always keep a good lookout - you just never know. And I never did find out if they tracked the interloper down who, it seems, was just en-route from somewhere to somewhere else! :hmm:

Dave Gittins
16th Dec 2020, 12:44
Meeting somebody going the other way can happen very easily at non-towered fields in the US with only a Unicom or CTAF. Absolutely essential to discover which way everybody else is flying before joining the pattern (downwind on the 45 none of these standard overheads) especially when the wind is light and variable. Even more so when the same Unicom frequency is used at another field 30 miles away.

Particularly when it's RH on one runway and LH on the reciprocal..

mikehallam
16th Dec 2020, 12:57
Plenty of those here in the UK with "keep to the west" or N or S etc.Thus not overflying habitation. e.g at Jackrell's Farm , Hadfold, Colemore Common North Weald Redhill (?)..........!!

Meeting somebody going the other way can happen very easily at non-towered fields in the US with only a Unicom or CTAF. Absolutely essential to discover which way everybody else is flying before joining the pattern (downwind on the 45 none of these standard overheads) especially when the wind is light and variable. Even more so when the same Unicom frequency is used at another field 30 miles away.

Particularly when it's RH on one runway and LH on the reciprocal..

Less Hair
16th Dec 2020, 13:12
This is why you mention which airport you are addressing every time before you state your intentions or your position on CTAF. This self coordinated system works surprisingly well even with quite different players using the same field.

possel
16th Dec 2020, 14:34
Obviously circuit orbiting should be an initial turn away from the runway, which flies in the face of this, but the general gist is sound.
...which makes it so highly dangerous and to be avoided at all costs.
Once, approaching from the south for RW09 (Left Hand circuit) I was told by ATC to report right base for 09. Fine by me, saves time. The trouble then came when ATC asked if I could see the circuit traffic on left base - "Negative" (it was a bit hazy). So I was asked to orbit right (over a town at 800ft). Coming out of that, same question and same answer, whereupon a different voice from the other aircraft (obviously the instructor) said "I suggest CD does another orbit". ATC agreed, so round again... My wife in the RH seat was now getting a very good close up view of the houses. I have been a bit cautious ever since about non standard joins!

PaulH1
16th Dec 2020, 17:20
I have been asked many times to join, say, downwind right when a left hand circuit is in operation. This is quite normal if flying a faster aircraft in a busy circuit. ATC do not want an aircraft overhauling the others downwind. So putting the aircraft on the Dead Side gives them separation. Do exactly what they ask. Downwind Right means you have the airfield on your Right when flying the downwind leg.

Supermattt
16th Dec 2020, 18:33
Wow!

Having listened to ATIS I was expecting a standard overhead join into a RH circuit. As far as I remember the controller said “can you join left downwind”. It was very busy and I was quite tired having flown for three hours and I just couldn’t visualise what it meant. I asked “confirm right hand circuit” which was confirmed. I think I read back ‘join left downwind’ and I then spent a few seconds getting more confused and with much radio chatter and several calls asking if I was visual with the Cherokee (or some such) on base (or some such) I was overwhelmed and then simply announced that I had lost situational awareness and was departing the circuit to the South for rejoin. I then rejoined overhead, descended dead side and joined RH normally. Not my finest circuit moment. I don’t think he could have been asking me to do a LH circuit as he would not have then confirmed a RH circuit. I assume he was simply asking me to join downwind rather than overhead, which makes sense (now!) as I was approaching from the correct direction for that. Maybe I should have said “are you simply asking me to join downwind?”. Anyway he was very helpful on the rejoin and after landing I thanked him for his help and he made a brief, pleasant ‘no problem’ sort of comment.

Thank you for all your replies
Matt

BBK
16th Dec 2020, 20:09
Matt

You say not you your finest moment but I think you demonstrated excellent airmanship. It sounds as if, by your own admission, you felt overloaded and made the decision to have another go. Nothing wrong with that at all.

You don’t say where this happened but I think you’re saying the standard circuit was right hand and you were offered a left hand rejoin presumably as it was more expeditious. It certainly sounds confusing to me and a lot of other contributors on this thread. If in doubt never be afraid to ask. If the controller sounds irritated then don’t worry. Remember they are there for your benefit not the other way around. If you’re still training or just gaining experience well done on a good decision.

Any ATC guys/gals reading this no offence intended just trying to encourage a potential newbie not to be intimidated!

Dan Dare
16th Dec 2020, 22:39
ATC guy here utterly unoffended. Air Traffic Control Service should be there to aid the safe, orderly and expeditious flow of traffic. Expeditious can sometime be tricky one: offer something that gets pilot from A to B more quickly and usually everyone is happy, but sometimes as above you just confuse matters or encourage a pilot out of their comfort zone. I would say the moral of this story is if you are being offered/cleared to do something you are not comfortable with then ask for a different solution. For what it's worth, my understanding of the original scenario is that although a RH circuit was in use, but the controller offered a more expeditious re-join downwind left-hand in to the circuit with the expectation that any missed approach or further circuits would be flown as the standard (for this runway) RH. In Uncle Rod's days at Woodvale the circuit would often have had civilians in a large, square LH circuit and UAS/AEF in a military oval RH circuit.

Supermattt
17th Dec 2020, 05:17
So ‘left downwind’ simply means downwind, on the left of the runway, when viewed from the direction of downwind. Which will always be the the case with a RH circuit, and a LH circuit will always have right downwind. That’s that sorted then. Thank you all.
Merry Christmas!
Matt

MrAverage
17th Dec 2020, 07:49
Can't be. "Left" must always refer to circuit pattern otherwise we're all going to be confused.

jmmoric
17th Dec 2020, 07:57
So ‘left downwind’ simply means downwind, on the left of the runway, when viewed from the direction of downwind. Which will always be the the case with a RH circuit, and a LH circuit will always have right downwind. That’s that sorted then. Thank you all.
Merry Christmas!
Matt

As above, you just kicked new life into the thread :)

Gargleblaster
17th Dec 2020, 08:29
I'm sitting here in my dining room, in front of a computer and having a hard time decoding this:

"So ‘left downwind’ simply means downwind, on the left of the runway, when viewed from the direction of downwind. Which will always be the the case with a RH circuit, and a LH circuit will always have right downwind".

At my home airport there's a clear definition of left/right downwind/base. I dearly hope I'll never find myself controlling an aircraft near an airport using this (sorry IMHO bonkers) system !

Pilot DAR
17th Dec 2020, 09:54
"So ‘left downwind’ simply means downwind, on the left of the runway, when viewed from the direction of downwind. Which will always be the the case with a RH circuit, and a LH circuit will always have right downwind".

You're going to land as much into the wind as practical, which will define the runway for landing (unless ATC instructs otherwise). Thereafter, you're going to fly a rectangular circuit pattern around that runway. If the rectangular circuit is composed of left turns, it's a left hand circuit. If right turns, right hand circuit. You the pilot must figure the turns out, if in doubt, make a sketch with arrows.

Most runways have a left circuit by default, though may be specified as right by policy or ATC instruction. A reason for a right hand circuit could be that it's a parallel runway, or a noise sensitive area underneath, or topographic feature restricting a left circuit. It is the pilot's responsibility to know which before approaching to land. Thereafter, an ATC instruction at a controlled airport could overrule the "normal" circuit, to be whatever ATC says it should be. I expect the left circuit default because the left seat pilot would have a better view for left turns.

Does that remove confusion?

jmmoric
17th Dec 2020, 11:07
Just keep in mind, your right hand is the one where the thumb is on the left.

Forfoxake
17th Dec 2020, 11:27
Just keep in mind, your right hand is the one where the thumb is on the left.

Lol. Please don't confuse matters further!

Hot 'n' High
17th Dec 2020, 12:26
Matt You say not you your finest moment but I think you demonstrated excellent airmanship. It sounds as if, by your own admission, you felt overloaded and made the decision to have another go. Nothing wrong with that at all.......

Absolutely BBK! And, nope, I'm not being drawn back into this one - just had to add my BZ on to your comment above tho!!! :ok:

Hot 'n' High
17th Dec 2020, 12:43
Meeting somebody going the other way can happen very easily at non-towered fields in the US with only a Unicom or CTAF. .......

Agreed Dave - and exactly the same for some of the small fields in the UK which may only have "Radio" or a FISO - or nothing!

But, in my case, it was in a busy ATZ, for a field which has clearly marked VRPs and you hold at the VRP until you get an onward clearance to join depending on which VRP you happen to rock up at. It's also surrounded by busy airspace so people transiting the area should be at least looking at the chart before setting off as there be Class A dragons here and there to breath "fire and MORs" at the unwary!!

It was the poor ATCO who, by the sounds of it, was about to raise yet another "infringement action" who asked if I'd got an ID for the interloper! And the cct was packed at the time so he probably passed 2 or 3 of us in his dash against "downwind" tho it sounds like I was the only one to see him as he flashed past! :ok:

PS And, no, I'm not going to say what the cct direction we were flying was! We've had enough confusion of "lefts" and "rights" already in this Thread!!! Let's just say I was "downwind"!!!!!! :E

mikehallam
17th Dec 2020, 14:06
Circuits are relative to [landing your 'plane down] runway in use..:- Left hand is an anticlockwise rectangle: Righthand is Clockwise.
The whole "circuit" is therefore called LH or RH.

Supermattt
17th Dec 2020, 14:56
I am fairly certain I was not being asked to fly a LH, circuit.

In hindsight I think the controller was simply asking me to join downwind rather than overhead.

I still don’t know why he said ‘left downwind’, nor what is meant by that term if it is indeed correct terminology in any context other than downwind in a left hand circuit.

Stuka Child
17th Dec 2020, 17:21
Could have been a number of things.

ATC often make mistakes between left and right runways, circuits, etc., especially in high workload conditions. They often catch their own slip and correct right away, but sometimes you need to call them back and ask them to clarify their instruction. Which is exactly what you did (more strength to you), and the confirmed that they - in fact - wanted you to fly a right-hand pattern. Problem solved.

It could have meant they wanted you to fly a left-hand pattern. If there is only one (active) runway, controllers might send you on the other side in order to give everybody some room. But, again, they confirmed a right-hand pattern, so it probably wasn't that.

It could have meant "go to your left and join the downwind".

All in all, it doesn't matter at all what they meant. You did the right thing, which was to ask for clarification (or confirm the type of circuit) and you got it. Whenever ATC use terminology you don't understand or issue confusing instructions/clearances, always ask them to break it down for you before you do anything. Beyond that, it is of no real significance what they meant on that particular day. "Correct terminology" or not, controllers may express themselves in a number of ways and you can always ask them to explain what they want when it's unclear.

scifi
22nd Dec 2020, 15:57
Don't forget your right hand is the one you write with..... Unless you are left handed.... or ambidexterous.
Also make sure the aircraft that you are following downwind, is still in the circuit.

Whopity
22nd Dec 2020, 18:19
I really can't see what the issue is. If you are cleared to join Left Downwind then that is what you do. If the Circuit is right hand and you deceide to go around or do a touch and go you are then into a right hand circuit. It was probably more efficient to join from the left and if there was no opposing traffic in the right hand circuit it would make sense. Done it many times.

ShyTorque
22nd Dec 2020, 18:24
Whopity, precisely. I’m amazed that so many have obviously found understanding this so difficult.

Fl1ingfrog
22nd Dec 2020, 18:39
If you are cleared to join Left Downwind then that is what you do.

Exactly, it is that simple. So, what all the waffle is about I'm at a lost to know.

cattletruck
23rd Dec 2020, 08:08
I received a clearance to "join left downwind" from ATC yesterday. The first thing I thought of was this thread and that our ATC has a great sense of humour. No brainer, 'cept rotorcraft don't like inverted approaches.

Could've done backwards but I was rather hot at 100kts.

Pilot DAR
23rd Dec 2020, 13:10
I received a clearance to "join left downwind" from ATC yesterday

For the benefit of those newer pilots reading this thread, it's probably worth clarifying that that wording sounds more like an instruction, than a clearance. Without the context of the communication, it's hard to tell, bu if the phrase "cleared to..." was not included, the "join left downwind" part was not being offered as optional. A clearance will usually include a description of a limit, meaning that you are cleared to fly as far as XX, with the expectation that before you get there, you'll have a further clearance (so you don't have to stop and hover).

While flying many flights in a more complex terminal area last week, the difference was clear: Sometimes I was "cleared to descend to xx", meaning I was not to fly lower than that altitude, but also not required to get down there either. Other times, I was instructed to descend; "C-GABC, descend to xx", meaning I was expected to get lower, so someone else could fly over me. It's worth understanding the difference between an instructions and a clearance, failing to comply with the instruction is likely an offense. Failing to comply with a clearance would not be, though exceeding it would: "G-AXYZ, cleared straight in final" is a clearance, to approach the airport on the runway heading, descending, but if you were to land without further clearance, you'll be in trouble. Similarly, if you hear the instruction "G-AXYZ land...", you are in trouble!

When I first started flying helicopters, I would fly my solo cross countries to airports I knew very well as a fixed wing pilot. Of course, the controllers did not hear a a fixed wing pilot on the radio, they heard a helicopter pilot. So I would get all kinds of clearances I was not used to: "C-FMMR, fly direct to the main apron". That was actually an instruction, and for a fixed wing guy, about to cross the departure path of the active runway he knows very well, it's a little disconcerting. But, I realized that I would completely confound the entire place, of I asked to fly a fixed wing circuit the to runway!

PaulH1
23rd Dec 2020, 16:51
There seems to be a lot of mis-information in this thread. Left Hand Downwind means when you are flying downwind, the runway is on your Left. Giving faster joining traffic a different circuit pattern is very common. For instance I am flying into Oxford in a Falcon 2000. There are several PA28s on a Right hand circuit on R/W 19. If I join the circuit on a Right Hand downwind I am going to overhaul the PA 28s no matter how slow I fly keeping at a safe speed for my aeroplane.. So I am instructed to join downwind Left so I do not conflict with them.
It is not a mistake by ATC nor is it confusing. You are being asked to fly a different circuit pattern for separation.

BillieBob
24th Dec 2020, 09:35
There are several PA28s on a Right hand circuit on R/W 19.That must really annoy the helicopters.

Less Hair
24th Dec 2020, 09:45
You are being asked to fly a different circuit pattern for separation.

Why are you not just instructed to fly a left hand pattern then? And why "join downwind" when they want to separate you from the rest of the traffic and have two active patterns and two separate downwinds?

Fl1ingfrog
24th Dec 2020, 10:58
PaulH1 has given a good, clear and simple explanation of why both a left and right hand patterns may be in use. When ATC is present this is very common including other variations such as a join on the base leg or on long final. ATCs job is to maintain a safe separation of aircraft in the circuit.

Helicopters are rarely required to fly the same circuit as fixed wing. Helicopters will preferably fly an opposite circuit tighter and much lower, say 500ft AAL when the fixed wing are at 1000ft. When noise abatement demands a pattern one side of the runway but not the other the helicopter training circuit will be safely flown inside the fixed wing circuit. The joining helicopters will rarely be required to join a fixed wing circuit pattern but rather join below the fixed wing circuit height at 90 degrees and land at the active runway midpoint or cross the active midpoint at a few hundred feet and then hover taxi to parking. Helicopter downwash is extremely dangerous to fixed wing and where the helicopters are required to land on the active threshold then ATC must ensure separation from the rotor downwash. Even the downwash from a small helicopter such as a Robinson R22 can flip a fixed wing.

PR0PWASH
30th Dec 2020, 08:09
The guy in the tower was wrong...made a mistake...simple as

Pilot DAR
30th Dec 2020, 19:08
i was asked to join ‘left downwind’ in a right hand circuit the other day.

The guy in the tower was wrong...made a mistake

What was the mistake made by the tower controller?

squidie
30th Dec 2020, 21:11
If I were told to join left downwind, I would join the left downwind. Just saying...

I would too ;)