PDA

View Full Version : Transferring data to a new PC

GoneWest
18th Aug 2002, 13:22
My wife has a computer which is obviously dying. :(

Steps are being taken to have it surgically improved - with a new motherboard, processor and a case to put them both in.

We would really like to keep all her "internet links" and "favourites" (I. E. 6) - along with all her e-mail history (Inbox and Sent items [Outlook Express]).

May also like to capture some of the updated software for various programmes that have been loaded over the years - we still have the master disks, but what would happen to the updates??

Does it complicate matters that the old stuff is running under Windows Millenium and the new computer will be using XP Pro??

Would it help to fit the existing hard drive as a second hard drive alongside the a new (currently empty - still in its box) and transfer the data once the system is running....or should we burn the data to CD and then import it (somehow)???

What's the best way forward - and how do we go about doing it??

Mac the Knife
18th Aug 2002, 20:43
See http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=63702

You should be able to export Favourites from Explorer and Inbox/Sent Items from OE to CD or another HDD and then reimport them later into your new OS.

Don't think there is an answer to the Updates problem unless you saved them as downloads and then applied them (in which case you can do it again) or the distributor still has them available. There are some good guys around - Funduc Software just sent me the latest full install when I explained that I had that problem.

GoneWest
18th Aug 2002, 23:17
Mac - thanks for that - any chance of a blow by blow account on how to do it??

The machine does have a CD burner in it (and software!!)

I did look at "File", "Export", "Messages" - but the only option I was offered was a transfer to "Outlook" or "Exchange"

GeneralElectric
19th Aug 2002, 11:50
To backup Outlook Express you need to find the directory that contains your email folders.

This is often in Local Settings > Identities, but can vary!!

Easy way - do a Start > Find > Files and search for Inbox.dbx.

If you're lucky, it'll come back with the directory containing all your email. Check the folder to make sure it's the right one (ie that you see all your folder names in there), then either transfer the entire folder to CD or another hard disk.

Close Outlook Express before you do the copy.

Might be an idea to Zip it up first to save some time.

On the new machine / OS you have to set up Outlook Express first so it creates the mail folder files, find the Inbox.dbx again and then simply overwrite the new Outlook Express folder with the one you copied. Make sure you've closed Outlook Express before you do it though.

To copy the address book you need to find a file ending in .wab . The name will depend on the name you're using in Outlook Express. So Start > Find Files > and search for *.wab. It will return any address books.

Again, you need to overwrite the .wab file on the new machine with the one you've copied.

As for the Favourites, just go to c:\Windows and copy the Favorites folder in the same fashion.

Hope this helps....

GE