PDA

View Full Version : NOTAM time/date format

nreese
13th Dec 2020, 20:20
Hi all,

Getting back into the air after a looonngg break. A quick NOTAM question. Example:LONGREACH (YLRE)
C25/20
NDB 'LRE' 353 NOT AVBL
FROM 11 121059 TO 01 310800 EST

Can someone please interpret 'FROM' 'TO' date / time format for me. All documentation says NOTAMS should be a ten digit date/time format.

Cheers.

brokenagain
13th Dec 2020, 22:26
From 1059 on the 12th November until 0800 on the 31st January.

noclue
13th Dec 2020, 23:21
Also “EST” is an estimate, not eastern standard time as one might expect.

Traffic_Is_Er_Was
14th Dec 2020, 03:23
Time format In Australia the format for all times in NOTAM is as a 10 digit date/time group YYMMDDHHMM, where YY is the year, MM is the month, DD is the date and HHMM is the time (hour and minute) in 24 hour UTC format.
Except that they often do not have the YY first.

nreese
14th Dec 2020, 05:41
Thanks for that - I actually worked it out when I saw an example NOTAM for the change of daylight savings, and worked it backwards - I can't find anywhere in CASA publications that explains the MM<space>DDHHMM format - everything appears to state that it should be a ten digit YYMMDDHHMM format. Thanks again.

Lead Balloon
14th Dec 2020, 19:32
Nothing like consistency to reduce the risk of confusion!

I don’t want to deter you, nreese, but if you’ve been out of circulation for a ‘looonngg’ time you’ll be doing a lot of head scratching about other ‘discrepancies’ in the piles of paper that make you ‘safe’ these days. Hang in there.

nreese
14th Dec 2020, 22:08
Nothing like consistency to reduce the risk of confusion!

I don’t want to deter you, nreese, but if you’ve been out of circulation for a ‘looonngg’ time you’ll be doing a lot of head scratching about other ‘discrepancies’ in the piles of paper that make you ‘safe’ these days. Hang in there.
It's OK - I'm CPL/Instructor and things haven't changed that much. Just those weird bits of technology that all the young'ans use - I'll challenge anyone to a paper map versus iPad drop onto concrete from 3 metres in the air! The other nice thing is that flight sims are so good these days - got both Flightgear and Xplane 11 and a new computer running Linux with a 6 gig video card - most of the ab-initio aircraft haven't changed much in 20 years aswell. Anndd, Airservices and CASA have put everything online which is nice.

Bodie1
15th Dec 2020, 00:00
I'm CPL/Instructor and things haven't changed that much.

Things have changed heaps. It may be a case of you don't yet know what you don't know.

Squawk7700
15th Dec 2020, 01:45
The gen-z answer to the smashed iPad is to pull out their “old” spare (which is probably better than my current one) and use that and failing that, refer to iPhone.