PDA

View Full Version : RNP AR Approach...

Rocket3837
13th Dec 2020, 03:28
RNP AR approach...
the rules state that authorisation is required for that kind of approach. But authorisation from where?
I am aware that authorisation is required from the local CAA (state of registry). But do we have to have authorization from the state where the airport/runway of intended operation?
The same question apply for CAT II/III operations..
Appreciate yr inputs...

Qwark
13th Dec 2020, 05:20
A foreign state should recognise the approvals granted by the state of registration. If flying international operations you should be carrying several documents, one being an "ops spec" (operations specification) which states the operational approvals the airline holds. (i.e. PBN, Low Visibility, RVSM, ETOPS etc)

For private / biz jet operations I have no idea how that works as there may not be an operating licence / ops spec granted by the authority in the state of registration.

turbidus
17th Dec 2020, 21:59
The airline, crew, and the aircraft are required to have authorization. This is done by each operator.

The airline must have an LOA to fly AR.
The aircraft must be certified to fly AR procedures.
The crew must be certified by the operator to fly the procedure.

Keep in mind, it is not a blanket LOA worldwide. The authorization is per procedure, not a blanket.

neilki
19th Dec 2020, 13:48
A foreign state should recognise the approvals granted by the state of registration. If flying international operations you should be carrying several documents, one being an "ops spec" (operations specification) which states the operational approvals the airline holds. (i.e. PBN, Low Visibility, RVSM, ETOPS etc)

For private / biz jet operations I have no idea how that works as there may not be an operating licence / ops spec granted by the authority in the state of registration.
In the US its part of an airlines OpSpecs; which in turn is baked into their Flight Operations Manuals et al..

Alpine Flyer
2nd Jan 2021, 15:18
This certainly needs some international standardization. Our company uses a system where you get qualified for a rather complex AR approach and that qualification is then extended to simpler AR approaches but eventually this should be made part of the ordinary licensing/rating system rather than an add-on requiring two extra pieces of paper.

aterpster
3rd Jan 2021, 12:24
This certainly needs some international standardization. Our company uses a system where you get qualified for a rather complex AR approach and that qualification is then extended to simpler AR approaches but eventually this should be made part of the ordinary licensing/rating system rather than an add-on requiring two extra pieces of paper.
That's what "authorization required" is all about. Each and every RNP AR approach has to be individually approved using the proper process. In the U.S. it begins with Advisory Circular 90-101A.