PDA

View Full Version : Costly medical

Ebbie 2003
12th Dec 2020, 18:14
Thought some of you may find this amusing.

My medical - after the FAA three month extension expired end July and due to the no fly rules I have not flown since end of April.

So renew medical - no FAA AME in Barbados - I usually go up to Florida - was due to go in April and combine it with stopping by Sun n Fun.

Found an AME in Antigua - so going up tomorrow, a one hour flight - medical Monday morning, fly back Tuesday - not too much aviation activity here so the route back is via London - rather unexpected - due to the drop in demand flight prices have fallen and it is still less than half what a US trip would cost (say US$1,400 instead of US$3,000).

So an eight hour flight east across the Atlantic, pick up duty free and back on a plane for a west bound flight - all up twenty hours - an adventure.

Then the conundrum of getting my FAA flight review and somehow getting my airplane out from annual on Guadeloupe.

All very inconvenient - but oddly I am quite enjoying the whole thing.

Chris Wheeler
12th Dec 2020, 20:39
Ha, you’d think that after Covid, someone would have come up with a way to get your medical on line.

Dave Gittins
15th Dec 2020, 12:27
Hi Ebbie, assume you'll have to fly from VC Bird to Gatwick, arrive about 08.00 and then fly Gatwick back to Adams, leaving about 11.30.

At least it'll be quiet with about 10% of normal traffic and only the North Terminal open but you'll get the shops to yourself

Rather you than me.

alland2012
18th Dec 2020, 11:23
Thought some of you may find this amusing.

My medical - after the FAA three month extension expired end July and due to the no fly rules I have not flown since end of April.

So renew medical - no FAA AME in Barbados - I usually go up to Florida - was due to go in April and combine it with stopping by Sun n Fun.

Found an AME in Antigua - so going up tomorrow, a one hour flight - medical Monday morning, fly back Tuesday - not too much aviation activity here so the route back is via London - rather unexpected - due to the drop in demand flight prices have fallen and it is still less than half what a US trip would cost (say US$1,400 instead of US$3,000).

So an eight hour flight east across the Atlantic, pick up duty free and back on a plane for a west bound flight - all up twenty hours - an adventure.

Then the conundrum of getting my FAA flight review and somehow getting my airplane out from annual on Guadeloupe.

All very inconvenient - but oddly I am quite enjoying the whole thing.

Ebbie if you do Facebook it may be beneficial to you to hook up with a buddy of mine Nik Verrecchia, he's a free lance CFI based out of Bartow Florida (KBOW) but spends a great deal of his time island hopping around the Carribean doing flight training and flight reviews, top guy and does not rip anyone off on his costs.