PDA

View Full Version : FO EASA ATPL TO INDIAN DGCA ATPL for OCI

Safety_
8th Dec 2020, 21:00
Hi all,

I need some assistance and information regarding converting EASA ATPL into DGCA ATPL for an OCI holder for an FO role.

Please don’t shoot me if I sound stupid but I really have basic questions to clarify.

Can you get a DGCA ATPL with OCI?
If yes what is the procedure one must follow?
How long does it take and what is the cost?

If no...
Can as an FO with an EASA ATPL operate on FATA or is it for Expat Capt only when it comes to job opportunities and you need INDIAN DGCA ATPL OR CPL ONLY FOR FO Role and FATA isn’t allowed?

If no...
There is no hope for OCI EASA ATPL FO to have any scope in India?

If yes...
Will one have to get FATA before applying to Airlines and have it ready or is it once the letter of intent is given the airline forwards you to do the process in your own time before starting?
Again what’s the procedure and how long does it take and what’s the cost?

Of course I am totally aware of how Covid has wrecked our industry and there is no quick solution and foreigner (technically not) taking a share in India whilst Indian local Pilots wait to get in the air argument! My aim or intension isn’t that before any keyboard warriors attack. My licence conversion am sure will take time and I don’t intend to jump the queue and all. Just evaluating U.K. market as well as Brexit and other challenges we face in U.K. I strongly suspect likes of India and other SE Asian countries will recover at a faster rate (as evident already through domestic market advantage) so I am just looking at what is possible and what isn’t possible.

Anyone who’s done the process or is considering or has some knowledge to share I would highly appreciate it.

Thank you in advance

Climb150
9th Dec 2020, 00:56
I can't say for sure but a number of my Indian born friends (all of whom no longer have Indian passports) tell me that unless you have an Indian passport you only get a validation.

Mbhon
4th Jan 2021, 07:06
Hi,
You have gotten some of the concepts mixed up.
1. You can convert even if you hold an OCI.
2. You need to be hired by a company and only then can the FATA be applied for.
3. FATA (Indian version of Validation) is only issued to TRE, TRI, Line Capts, and Flight Instructors. You also need the ratings and approvals on your parent licence to get the FATA.
4. Once you convert, you can apply and work in India on your OCI (I know quite a few OCI Holders flying in India after converting their licences).

Regards,
MBhon