View Full Version : New Aer Lingus Route?????

AerLingus747
18th Aug 2002, 11:38
Hopefully this is true but I heard a rumour that Aer Lingus are starting a new service to Cape Town in the winter with an A330-200!

Is this true or complete b/s?

I hope it is!!
Anybody any info?

Aleko
18th Aug 2002, 15:46
I wouldn't have thought that there would be much of a demand for Irish people going to South Africa. Do you know if there would be a stop somewhere to encourage more travellers, or are they trying to target golfers going to some of the most beautiful courses they have in SA?:confused:

EI_Sparks
18th Aug 2002, 16:18
Perhaps it's so that anyone looking to train for a PPL, CPL, ATPL or any other kind of PL, can go to SA to train?
Dunno whether to :) or :( or just :mad:

FlyingV
18th Aug 2002, 20:24
There are lots of South Africans working in Dublin and in very good jobs. Lots of IT people. Earning good money.

And they like to go home very regularly.

That's a few seats filled on each flight.

Not sure about business links though.

Bluehair
18th Aug 2002, 23:22
I'd heard JNB was being looked at not CPT. Do know they had people down there recently looking for Crew accom etc...

Hand Solo
19th Aug 2002, 00:10
Might struggle to compete with the 7x777 and 3x747 that BA will be running weekly to CPT.

AerLingus747
19th Aug 2002, 17:31
Heard that it coluld be a codeshare with Iberia through Madrid - could work well with an A330.

EI don't want to put all their eggs in the one basket, especially after the huge loss of money on the Transatlantics after Sept. 11.

Johannesburg could still be on the horizon maybe?

Maxfli
20th Aug 2002, 23:25
The 6th A330 destination this winter will be back to BWI. Capetown is being assessed as a charter destination for a 7th A/C and the latest rumour is that they will do MCO in the Summer and CPT in the winter.

AerLingus747
21st Aug 2002, 21:14
Maxfli, you seem to be in the know about the goings on at HQ. Heard that EI are looking at operating the Dublin/Shannon - Toronto route when AC pull out. Any truth?

Still, good news about BWI though!:D