PDA

View Full Version : RIP Chuck Yeager

dr dre
8th Dec 2020, 03:20
https://abc7.com/society/chuck-yeager-test-pilot-who-broke-sound-barrier-dies-at-97/8595765/

Anti Skid On
8th Dec 2020, 05:15
RIP Chuck (mods feel free to delete if this is anywhere else)

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/dec/08/chuck-yeager-dead-pilot-first-to-break-sound-barrier-dies-death-aged-97

Quemerford
8th Dec 2020, 07:04
Let the conspiracy theories start! Undeniably first through the sound barrier and an undoubted pioneer.

Fitter2
9th Dec 2020, 11:12
Undoubtedly a character with courage approaching foolhardiness. A more creditable quality in fighter pilots than test pilots.

I don't know if the accident report of his episode in the rocket powered F104 was ever publicly released. I have talked to a NASA Dryden (the 'civilian' side of Edwards AFB) test pilot who previously had flown it over 100,000ft. The brief was clear, achieve the required climb angle and centre the elevator before flameout of the Jet (which powered the hydraulics). On Yeager's flight the briefed climb angle was not achieved, and just before flameout the stick was pulled fully rearward to attempt to reach it (and therefore the target altitude). The resultant locked fully up elevator prevented recovery as the aircraft regained aerodynamic control. The limited thrust Reaction Control System was unable to overcome the elevator. and the resultant flat spin prevented engine relight. The NASA Director was somewhat cross, and I believe General Yeager took no part in any other NASA Advanced testing.

Jhieminga
9th Dec 2020, 11:46
For anyone interested in this story, have a look at this site: NF104 | Unwanted Record for Chuck Yeager (http://www.kalimera.org/nf104/stories/stories_11.html)
The relevant bits, if you want to know more about Yeager's accident, are part 11 (linked to above), 12 and 13, but the rest of the story (use links at top of page) is equally interesting. Written by Robert W. Smith, main test pilot for the AeroSpace Trainer (NF-104 AST).

Quemerford
9th Dec 2020, 14:14
I know it's customary to partake in iconoclasm following a death, but having met many people who met him in period, my abiding impression is that Yeager was not a team player, or indeed someone you'd want to work with or for.

One cannot deny his record of achievement but that doesn't necessarily qualify him for other accolades.

megan
10th Dec 2020, 04:54
Yeager was not a team player, or indeed someone you'd want to work with or forLike the time he was giving a pilot an area checkout at Edwards in a T-33 and suggested he land at a particular spot on the Edwards lake, got bogged, and put all the blame on the pilot, all to big note himself and show he was better than the pilot. The pilot? Neil Armstrong.

Yeager is said to have had two ejections, what was the other besides the NF-104?

Bob Hoover, now there's a real pilot, one who stood head and shoulders above Yeager IMHO.

Quemerford
10th Dec 2020, 16:50
Bob Hoover, now there's a real pilot, one who stood head and shoulders above Yeager IMHO.

Fully agree. Also a really nice chap.

Kiwithrottlejockey
12th Dec 2020, 23:18
I had the pleasure of meeting and briefly chatting to Chuck Yeager at a Warbirds Over Wanaka airshow many years ago.

I've still got my copy of the airshow programme which he kindly autographed for me.