PDA

View Full Version : EASA FI medical class 1 requirement for aged 40+

Klimax
7th Dec 2020, 17:51
The EASA medical certificate expiry date for Class 1 has two different validity periods (if you're 40+ years of age). 6 months for Single pilot commercial operations carrying passengers and 12 months otherwise.

Am I correct in assuming that Flight Instructing is not considered "Single pilot commercial operations carrying passengers"? In other words that the Class I medical is valid for 12 months for 40+.

Thank you.
Kmax

Edward Hawkins
7th Dec 2020, 18:02
That is correct

eagleflyer
7th Dec 2020, 21:30
That’s correct. You don’t even need a CPL to work as an FI, so a Class 2 medical is sufficient. Commercial flight schools might be reluctant to employ you though.

MrAverage
8th Dec 2020, 08:46
After 6 months you still have validity for Class 2 anyway, as shown on your medical. The vast majority of non airline pilot, non IR holding instructors (and plenty of PPL Examiners), of a certain age, only hold a Class2.

Klimax
9th Dec 2020, 07:08
Thank you for your replies Gents.

Ok, great, from your responses it seems that the yearly renewal of the EASA class I medical will be sufficient.

Cheers,
Kmax

rightbank
24th Dec 2020, 13:18
non IR holding instructors (and plenty of PPL Examiners), of a certain age, only hold a Class2

You can hold an IR with a class 2 medical but you need to pass the audiogram as well