PDA

View Full Version : A room with a view.

Centaurus
7th Dec 2020, 11:23
ROOM WITH A VIEW

During my time with Air Nauru I was sent to Christchurch NZ to undergo a Boeing 737 type rating. When our engine lecturer discovered I had flown Lincolns in the RAAF he told me he had flown as the flight engineer on Handley Page Hastings with the RNZAF. He was full of good stories mostly aimed at taking the piss out of us Australians. He told us about one of the sectors he flew was Amberley to Darwin. It had been a night trip and he was expecting no signs below of habitation - just eight hours of blackness. To his astonishent.he could see thousands of pin point lights below signifying habitation all the way to Darwin.

Having flown the same route in Lincolns his story had me puzzled as I knew there was very little habitation in that part of Australia. He then said he was told after landing at Darwin that what he had seen was the upturned eyes of the billions of flies that lived in the Outback.. I must say he had us right in until the punchline.

On one occasion I was flying a Lincoln from Townsville to Darwin. The Lincoln was indicating 160 knots at 7,000 feet on a bumpy summer day. There were seven crew members including a newly graduated sergeant who was the co-pilot. He needed handling experience on the heavy bomber, so I put him in the captain's seat while I crawled back along the fuselage past the navigator and signaller to the rear of the aircraft to stretch my legs. Leaving my headset in the cockpit, I squeezed past the navigator who was taking a sun-shot with his sextant through the astro dome. I asked him to keep an eye on the co-pilot and that I would back in a few minutes. The Lincoln was equipped with three electrically operated gun turrets. The rear turret could also be turned manually via two handles, and was situated at the tail of the aircraft between the two rudders. When turned, the turret would protrude into the slipstream. This caused the aircraft to yaw slightly, especially if the turret was not central for take-off. Entrance to the turret was from inside the fuselage via two small sliding doors. After entry, the gunner would close the doors and secure his lap-strap. It was a cramped and lonely position which could be bitterly cold at high altitude.

In an emergency, the gunner could bale out by simply turning the turret sideways, opening the doors behind him, and fall out backwards into the sky. Hopefully he would have first remembered to clip on his parachute. On my way to the rear of the aircraft, I paused to have a brief chat to the signaller seated behind his high frequency radio sets and morse code key. Each member of the crew were required to be proficient at sending and receiving morse code. This included flashing light signal messages with an Aldis lamp. Clambering over the wing main spar I finally reached the rear turret, opened the sliding doors, and squeezed inside. The view from the turret was magnificent, although wartime rear gunners would have had little time to appreciate the scenery. In their isolated position they were sitting ducks for enemy fighters and they suffered high casualties.

Mornington Island, which is situated in the Gulf of Carpentaria, passed behind us. Through gaps in the clouds I could see the desolate coastline of northern Australia as we crossed the border between Queensland and the Northern Territory. There were big salt-water crocodiles down there, and rumour had it that the mosquitos were even bigger than the crocs. It was getting bumpy and the aircraft was rolling and skidding as the inexperienced co-pilot overcontrolled on the rudders. The tall fins on the stabilizer were flexing in the turbulence and I began to feel the sweating signs of air-sickness. My sympathy was with any rear gunner stuck with a rough pilot, and it was definitely time to return to the cockpit before I disgraced myself. The turret doors were still open (I had forgotten to close them earlier), and while elbowing myself backwards from the confines of the turret I thought I heard the whine of an electric motor over the deafening noise from the engines and slipstream

To my dismay the turret began to traverse, and in fright I grabbed at the machine gun breeches directly in front of me and held on grimly. My lap strap was undone as I hadn't had time to clip it on. Over my shoulder through the open turret doors, I could see the shark infested waters of the Gulf of Carpentaria far below. The slipstream pulled at my flying suit through the open turret doors and I forced back that dreadful compulsion to fall over the edge that one experiences when looking down from a tall building. Up front and oblivious to the fun and games occuring at the rear of the Lincoln, the co-pilot was thoroughly enjoying himself dodging in and out and around clouds, while I hung on to the rear guns, scared witless and unable to fasten my safety belt. I couldn't bear to look down outside the aircraft. While trying to exit from the turret, I must have inadvertently touched one of the buttons that energized the turning mechanism.

Not having been trained on the turret operation, there was no way I was going to release my grip on the guns in order to rectify the situation. Without a headset, I was unable to contact the rest of the crew who remained blissfully unaware that their captain was up the proverbial creek without a paddle. The wind-blast through the open door was cold and I was not a happy little vegemite. After a lifetime, someone realized that the captain was a long time gone, and when attempts to contact me on the intercom failed, the signaller was despatched to investigate. Signallers were also qualified as gunners, and some had occasionally found themselves in a similar fix to myself during their early training. Arriving down the back, the signaller soon twigged to my predicament, and doubling up in laughter, he happily reported to the rest of the crew that the captain was stuck in the rear turret with the doors open and his bum over the edge.

Sure enough, the navigator just had to have a look and he too almost wet himself with laughter. The new pilot was still gleefully horsing around the cloud tops, and finally the navigator (bless his cotton socks) decided it might be safer for all concerned if I was back in the left seat. The signaller called at me to let go with one hand and attempt to manually wind the turret back to centre. I tried not to notice the ocean far below, and bravely disengaging one cramped hand from the gun breech, eventually managed to wind the turret to a safer position. After thanking the signaller for his help, I returned to the cockpit and turfed the co-pilot from the left seat. Having regained my lost dignity, I suggested to him that in future he should ensure that all turns should be smooth and well balanced. I added that ham-fisted flying could make the rest of the crew airsick – especially the bloke in the rear turret…

CFD
7th Dec 2020, 12:40
Very much enjoy your stories..... particularly as my father in law, who basically taught me to fly, well at least did my commercial ratings also flew the Lincoln as a sergeant pilot in the RAF ( one of the last sergeant pilots) , Thank you.... i was only talking to him last night, something will be missing when we don't get these stories.

Bergerie1
7th Dec 2020, 12:42
Centaurus, Thanks for another great story. I write too, here is one of mine called The Village:-

I was staying up-country, a Pan-African conference of some sort having filled all the hotels in the city. After flying in from Colombo, we had been driven through the night for an hour or so before tumbling gratefully into bed. It had been a long day, we could be anywhere.

When I awoke and drew back the curtains, only a feint light showed in the eastern horizon. Unable to sleep, I dressed and went outside. The stars were slowly fading as I made my way onto the terrace in front of the hotel. It was of a typically 1930’s design, but extended more recently in a style that only partly matched the original. A gentle slope led down to the fore-shore of a large lake across which, I could just make out some hills on the far side. I wandered slowly down to the water’s edge where I found the remains of an old concrete slip-way. Around its crumbling end, small multi-coloured fishes darted and flashed in the gathering light.

The freshness of the morning air had not yet given way to the heat of a tropical day. There was little point in returning inside, I was on the wrong time-zone, sleep had already escaped me, and it was far too early for breakfast. Behind the hotel, a slope of worn grass gave way to the encroaching jungle. The tops of tall trees were just beginning to catch the sunlight. They glowed with the vivid green that is only found in Africa after storms have washed everything clean the night before. Their colour was made even more vivid by the red murram paths below. I followed one of them in amongst trees that dangled with creepers. I knew not where it would lead but, judging by the many footprints, it was well used.

I must have walked for a mile or two before I came to a clearing. Mealy plants lined the path. Further on, some had been recently cut. A cock crowed, a goat bleated in the distance, and I began to hear the sounds of voices. A smell of wood-smoke was intensified by the damp morning air. I rounded a corner and entered a village made of round huts with conical grass roofs. Between the huts, on the beaten earth, chickens scratched, waiting to be fed. A mangy dog of indeterminate parentage came to inspect me. People were emerging from white painted doorways, stretching in the early morning light. Some children came out, saw me, shot back inside and peeped shyly around the door frame.

Their parents stared at me in astonishment. I politely wished them good morning and was greeted with smiles. Others appeared – the men in tatty khaki shorts, the women in brightly coloured dresses, with some kind of turban or cloth wrapped around their heads. Word must have spread because, soon, others came to look as I made my way between the huts.

A man, considerably older than the rest, came forward. His hair was greying, his skin wizened, he lacked a tooth or two but such was his dignity that, had I been wearing a hat, I have no doubt I would have raised it to him. He said some words in a language I did not understand. I wished him good morning in my very British way and apologised for intruding in his village. He seemed to sense the meaning of what I said, or perhaps he was just being polite. He offered his hand; I shook it and wished him well. Everywhere, people smiled and, when I raised my hand in greeting, the men waved back, women nodded shyly, while children stared wide-eyed from behind their hands.

When I came to the edge of the village, I turned to look back. There was quite a crowd; the old man gravely raised his right hand. I did the same and entered the forest. I went down the slope on a path which I hoped would lead me back to the lake. Fortunately it did. When I came to the shore, I followed it back to the hotel. The sun was now well up, soon the heat of the day would be upon me. I mused on what I had seen. Had I been an African, dressed in tribal costume, walking through a remote village in rural England, I wondered whether I would have been greeted with such courteous warmth and grace.

CaptainMidnight
7th Dec 2020, 22:04
snip

Great story too, although I must confess I thought it was building up to some dramatic and dangerous incident :)

Centaurus
9th Dec 2020, 00:35
Lovely story Bergerie 1. . The old man "gravely raised his right hand" reminded of the friendly locals living on Nauru in the Central Pacific region. It is a small atoll with the nearest landfall being Ocean Island 175 miles away and Tarawa which has a runway, 375 miles away. It takes just 25 minutes driving at a sedately pace to circumnavigate Nauru atoll via the coast road that circles the atoll. If your car or motor bike breaks down you can bet someone will stop to help you within ten minutes. One day there was a heavy rain shower leaving big puddles on the coast road. My car conked out as water splashed into the engine compartment. As I got out of the car to hitch-hike back to the Menen Hotel to get some help (I am a useless idiot when it comes to fixing mechanical contraptions),a small boy came dashing out of a house armed with a can of what I assumed to be WD40 to spray over the distributor.

He was eager to get my car going, so I let him spray the cap of the distributor which he did with great aplomb. The kid was only seven years old but keen as mustard to help the white man whom he recognised as one of the pilots of Air Nauru. One squirt, two squirts, three squirts - four. He closed the bonnet and signalled me clear to start No 1. No joy. Not even a spark. I paddled in the puddle that had caused all the grief and lifted the bonnet and pretended to look like a real mechanic to impress the little Nauruan boy whose name I found out was Diesel.
He told me that when he was born his mother inadvertently washed him in a bucket of diesel oil instead of waterl So she named him Diesel.

It was only then I looked at the name on the spray can. It was Rust Remover. Not WD 40. That explained why the car wouldn't start. I thanked Diesel and with a fixed smile gave him five dolllars which was the only coin I had on me. He gave me a big beaming smile and a thumbs up, waving to me as I hitch-hiked the mile to the Menen Hotel to find help and hopefully a tow.