PDA

View Full Version : D-ATIS available online?

BoeingDriver99
7th Dec 2020, 01:07
Does anyone have a website or app that gives D-ATIS? There is an app called ATIS APP for American airports only. Is there a more comprehensive website/app out there?

Many thanks

sonicbum
7th Dec 2020, 07:33
Does anyone have a website or app that gives D-ATIS? There is an app called ATIS APP for American airports only. Is there a more comprehensive website/app out there?

Many thanks

There are phone numbers which are quite useful, don’t know if in 2020 we got hold of some more extreme technology to also have ATIS on Apps...

lederhosen
7th Dec 2020, 09:37
I have used the aeroweather app for years. The plain text translation makes some of the more arcane abbreviations easier to understand. I am not sure whether it meets the guaranteed reliability requirements or indeed if the source is the same as D-ATIS. But for a speedy overview it is hard to beat.

Denti
7th Dec 2020, 09:47
Well, aeroweather uses the METAR, not the ATIS itself. So it will miss all the operational bits of an ATIS and presents just the weather information, which is very useful of course. Yes, i have used it for years as well, but i know its limitations. The METAR (and TAF) information is mostly taken from the NOAA servers in the USA.

lederhosen
7th Dec 2020, 12:35
Obviously as Denti points out aeroweather does not include runway in use and approach type which is extremely helpful in preparing your set up when in flight. I remember when we first started using D-ATIS and I found it a big step forwards. It would be interesting to know how the original poster wants to use it.

Skyjob
7th Dec 2020, 23:24
There is an app for D-ATIS but only contains US airports

BoeingDriver99
9th Dec 2020, 08:26
I thought that in this day and age of tech it would be reasonable to get the D-ATIS online or your phone/ipad etc. It also made me wonder exactly how that process worked in the first place: D-ATIS - VHF - ACARS - ??? - Server - Website.... ?

Thanks for the replies

BoeingDriver99
10th Dec 2020, 08:29
As far as I can tell from a quick Google;

You need a receiver to to able to pickup the VHF signals for ACARS. You then need to decode said signals using a software application. So for each station that transmits a D-ATIS you'd need a receiver/decoder setup within range? Or to be able to query the ACARS system?

But how can we use ACARS onboard to access D-ATIS/ACARS messages from long range? Is the ACARS system onboard querying another system?

Specaircrew
10th Dec 2020, 11:55

You need a receiver to to able to pickup the VHF signals for ACARS. You then need to decode said signals using a software application. So for each station that transmits a D-ATIS you'd need a receiver/decoder setup within range? Or to be able to query the ACARS system?

But how can we use ACARS onboard to access D-ATIS/ACARS messages from long range? Is the ACARS system onboard querying another system?

ACARS also uses HF or SATCOM

Denti
11th Dec 2020, 09:10

There seems to be a misconception there. ACARS does not directly get information from each ATIS installation, it rather queries a network system which then provides the answers that are fed into the network by each D-ATIS installation. Therefore the VHF, SATCOM or HF based ACARS (all those exist) connect to the next available gateway to that network, and not directly to the ATIS station. The whole system is based on a telex system but has since been evolved considerably and uses now usually either a rockwell collins or sita network (or both as it were).