PDA

View Full Version : FAA PPL renewal - What visa process is required ? M!?

britflyer
5th Dec 2020, 21:10
Random question but maybe someone can clarify...
I'm planning to visit the US next year once travel is allowed to renew my long FAA PPL. I have read that private flight training/renewals etc doesn't require the M1 visa but I cant find that on any official websites. I know that I wont get much help from the embassy's right now so just trying to get an idea of what's involved/what to expect. I have emailed my old flight school in Florida so they may answer my question but I thought I'd ask here just encase.

Regards to all,
Steve

B2N2
5th Dec 2020, 21:13
What do you consider a “renewal”?
There is no expiration date on a FAA PPL as its valid for life unless suspended or revoked.
As far as exercising its privilege a Flight review is required every 24 months.

Unless you still have the old paper style certificate and you never bothered replacing it with the plastic credit card format.

So what is it that you need?

Dave Gittins
8th Dec 2020, 12:15
I've had an "on the basis of" FAA PPL for about 14 years and have never needed a VISA I just rock up in Colorado Springs on my ESTA to vis family and when I have time go down to the local FBO/School. Every couple of years I do a 24 month revalidation. In fact it's due on about 2 Jan 2021.

All I expect to happen is that next time I go to KFLY I'll either fly with a local instructor or I'll do a couple of hours on the King's videos and an hours flight test and get a signature in my log book that lets me fly solo for another couple of years.

I've had some rather more interesting discussions at mainstream schools in Florida and California as to what the rules are (and always persuaded them in my favour) but the good 'ole boys in Colorado are very laid back and are quite prepared to put me through the full FAA PPL to get a stand alone FAA PPL but there isn't any point, I can do what I want as it is.

Grelly
8th Dec 2020, 13:21
Your profile suggests you live in Qatar. I'm not sure if that makes a difference. But if you have a UK passport and all you want/need is a Flight Review, plus some time renting aircraft then no visa is needed.

BTW, there are FAA flight instructors in the UK (and probably elsewhere). I used Academy Aviation at North Weald to get my Flight Review just a few weeks ago.

Grelly

alland2012
10th Dec 2020, 15:28
I'm mostly based in the UK these days but I always organize a vacation in Florida around my FAA flight review and medical due date, my last flight review I combined with getting my Tailwheel endorsement in a PT17 Stearman which was pretty cool.

awair
11th Dec 2020, 03:54
As stated by B2N2 , there is no renewal required for an FAA certificate.

However, for anyone else reading this there are a couple of other considerations that may apply.

If you are carrying out only recreational flying, then a tourist (B1/B2) Visa should be OK.
If flying is the main reason for your visit to the US, you should probably declare this to the immigration officer
Taking courses, can be acceptable on the B1/B2 Visa, but depends on the circumstances.
Full-time/Professional courses will require a Visa through the school.

Then there's the TSA...
If you already hold a full FAA certificate (of any kind), you can generally proceed.
If you have "Foreign-based" (Part 61.75) certificate, then you may need TSA clearance for any training.
A Flight Review is not normally counted as Training.
Additional TSA clearance is required for adding Multi, IR or Type Ratings (>12,500lbs)

FAA considerations:
Your 61.75 certificate remains valid as long as the underlying Foreign license has not been “surrendered, suspended, or revoked”.
You still need a Flight Review for a 61.75 certificate.
... and a Medical
... and meet recency requirements to carry passengers
... and IFR recency, as required

And don't forget EASA:
If your EASA license number changed, the FAA 61.75 certificate is no longer valid - it must reflect the update EASA license number format.

Depending on your circumstances, as Grelly said, finding an FAA CFI in your location may also work.