PDA

View Full Version : Technical info with VAA 747-400 G-VTOP/G-VAST

Grumpyauldgit
4th Dec 2020, 09:34
Hi,
Any current/ex Virgin Atlantic ground engineers able to give me some technical info regarding an engine query on the above aircraft?

vs69
5th Dec 2020, 00:39
What do you require old chap?

Grumpyauldgit
5th Dec 2020, 06:53
Good morning!
Thanks for getting back to me.
I was the Captain on a LHR-SFO flight way back just before 9-11. I had a problem somewhere over the frozen Canadian wilderness with a low oil quantity indication on one of the engines. As I spoke to engineering in London using the Satcom the issue further developed with more low oil quantity indications coming up on 2 more engines. The result of discussions (made very quickly as I had memories of the Queens flight 146) was that the indications were spurious. A couple of days later I was told that the oil quantity reporting had something to do with being relative to one "master" indication which had made the other indications erroneous. I didn't fully understand it at the time but wondered if you had the knowledge to expand on the system for me for my book!
Thanks again!

vs69
5th Dec 2020, 11:39
Looking at the schematic the oil qty transmitters feed into the EIU's (EICAS interface units) so if there was an issue with them I can see why you'd lose indication but I'd have thought you'd lose other indications or have a status message pop up. A wise avionic wizard will be along soon probably to expand on this.

Grumpyauldgit
5th Dec 2020, 12:34
Standing by for wise avionics wizards!! :ok: