PDA

View Full Version : CFI Training in the US

muizzak
2nd Dec 2020, 20:56
Hey guys
I'm a CPL/IR holder from Pakistan. I'm planning to get my license converted to USA FAA CPL and do CFI,CFII and MEI training from some flying school there. I've talked to some flight schools in Miami and they seem to be good. what do you guys suggest me to do? which place is the best to go keeping in mind that i'm looking forward to work as a cfi aswell and build some hours.
Is Pelican flight training good?

gerpols
3rd Dec 2020, 11:05
I did all my training with Paris Air in Vero Beach, FL.
They are the best !

rudestuff
3rd Dec 2020, 12:52
Why do you want to be a CFI? Have you got a green card?

muizzak
3rd Dec 2020, 12:54
Through F1 visa

maximus610
3rd Dec 2020, 15:35
Will a CPL/IR holder qualify for the F1 pilot training visa?

muizzak
3rd Dec 2020, 20:15
Yes, a lot of ICAO CPL/IR pilots come to the US with a F1 visa and do their conversion/instructor ratings and eventually work there aswell.

Genghis the Engineer
5th Dec 2020, 07:23
Have a look at Crystal Aero Group, in Crystal River Florida. I did some training there a few years ago and had a very good experience - they certainly can cover everything you want.

selfin
5th Dec 2020, 09:41
The DHS maintains a database of SEVP-certificated FAA-approved pilot schools at https://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/school-search

Information on student employment is available in the SEVIS Help Hub at https://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/sevis-help-hub/student-records/fm-student-employment

muizzak
5th Dec 2020, 12:37
Genghis the Engineer

Will do, Thanks.

LTCTerry
16th Dec 2020, 15:24
1) You can't convert to an FAA Commercial Certificate. You can use 61.75 to get a Private Pilot Certificate, which will work as the base for a Commercial.

2) You will need an instrument rating - this requires a Knowledge Test and a Practical Test. You can work the required 61.56 Flight Review into this training.

3) You can do Single Engine Commercial or Multiengine in either order. SE first is cheaper. Do the SE Commercial training from the right seat. Then the "repeat the checkride" for CFI. ME add-on is pretty straightforward. I did Glider to ME to SE. This past weekend I did the checkrides for SE Commercial and Instructor back to back. Commercial and Instructor each require Knowledge Tests - Commercial Pilot, Fundamentals of Instruction, and Airplane Instructor.

4) It might sound a tiny bit crazy, but if you also do the instrument work from the right seat, then you can work with your instructor to train for CFII as well. It's too expensive to not combine where possible.

Good luck!

muizzak
17th Dec 2020, 12:12
Noted, thanks!

LTCTerry
21st Dec 2020, 14:20
You are quite welcome!