PDA

View Full Version : New initiative from EasyJet to incentivise passengers.

Tartiflette Fan
2nd Dec 2020, 09:51
"The Luton-based low-cost airline said that from 10 February next year, passengers travelling on its standard fares would be restricted to one small bag on board if it can fit under the seat in front of them."

Use of overhead lockers will cost between £8 and £ 24 per leg.!

vctenderness
2nd Dec 2020, 11:26
Seems like madness to me. When you are trying to get people back into flying charging for a carry on bag is hardly encouraging.

I have Easyjet flights booked for April so this will add a potential £100 to our flights.

c52
2nd Dec 2020, 11:40
Isn't that roughly half the cost of a bag in the hold?

In the last couple of years I've been very happy to pay £7 to put my cabin baggage in the hold. It will incentivise me to take a decent amount of clothing and footwear on holiday with me, I think. One suitcase in the hold for both of us instead of two small bags in the cabin.

How does the new charge compare with Ryanair?

WB627
2nd Dec 2020, 13:20
I guess Easy don't want customers?

"It would be a great business if we didn’t have to fly people places" :} LOL

vctenderness
2nd Dec 2020, 14:48
The problem with putting cabin bags in the hold is they usually have the valuable and fragile items in them

I always have an iPad, jewellery, medication, book, newspapers, duty free’s, spare spectacles, currency, travel documents etc.

So no way I’m letting it out of my sight!

Groundloop
2nd Dec 2020, 15:12
All of that could easily fit in a bag that goes under the seat - which will be free. And as it is not in the locker it is much easier to access in flight!

Saintsman
2nd Dec 2020, 16:02
i had an email from them today. If you have already booked, there will be no charge.

PAXboy
2nd Dec 2020, 18:17
I think it shows easyJet still treating 2020 as simply another Recession. Actually, it might become a Depression. Companies are responding as they always have to set backs but this is a set back no one has ever seen before and the old ways of recovery probably won't work.

Markos.
2nd Dec 2020, 19:02
Gents,

Forget about low cost flights for a decent period of time. Using marketing techniques, instead of charging you 100£ for a ticket, they will charge you 80£ (ticket) + 20£ (extras). Are they taking the correct path? It’s a matter of time.

Runaway Gun
2nd Dec 2020, 19:08
Just how much jewellery and medication do you need to take? Simply wear your gold chains BA Baracus style, and smuggle the drugs like a mule.

Smaller iPads are available now, just wear larger glasses to read them.

LTNman
3rd Dec 2020, 04:21
My understanding is that standard seat passengers can’t use the overhead lockers as there is no option to buy a carry on bag so they will have to upgrade their seat and that only so many seats are upgradable.

stormin norman
3rd Dec 2020, 10:48
In the race to the bottom Easyjet have just taken the lead.

nojwod
3rd Dec 2020, 10:54
And that is why I'm quite happy to pay a supposed 100% or more premium for a full service airline because it often translates to only a 25% premium and it's stress free and you fly with a better class of pax

Pistonprop
3rd Dec 2020, 11:30
My take too Nojwod. I do fly on some low cost carriers but none of the 4 carriers mentioned above.

ZFT
3rd Dec 2020, 11:57
nojwod

Agree except the last comment. I've met idiots on full service carriers too!

Pistonprop
3rd Dec 2020, 12:47
Much better class of idiots though! ;)

Dave Gittins
3rd Dec 2020, 13:00
I take the view that however they break down (or build up) the cost, they still have to remain competitive if anybody else flies the route. Adding all the additional costs for hold baggage, speedy boarding, up front, extra leg room etc. hasn't made a lot of difference

stb155
4th Dec 2020, 10:18
How is that even allowed from an safety point of view ?

Motivating passengers to clogg up the cabing with their luggage any more that absolutely necessary is insane.

Empty overhead bins, where stuff would be out of the way and secure.Instead have clogged up floors, just to make (or because of saving) a few $.

On high density seating, with swim wests under seat, there is hardly enough room for just you legs and feet.
Putting anything on the floor that could be stowed elsewhere is an unnecessary obstacle in case of evacuation.

Maybe COVID wil drag on long enough for that whole loco bunch to go away for good.

Asturias56
4th Dec 2020, 11:31
Its a great idea - modern air travel is made so much worse by people lugging vast amounts of luggage around the airport and then into the cabin

its not safe to have a 20kg case being pulled out of the overhead locker on disembarkation either

Groundloop
4th Dec 2020, 16:00
Maybe COVID wil drag on long enough for that whole loco bunch to go away for good.

More likely that some legacy carriers would disappear before the big locos!

ATNotts
6th Dec 2020, 09:58
How is that even allowed from an safety point of view ?

Motivating passengers to clogg up the cabing with their luggage any more that absolutely necessary is insane.

Empty overhead bins, where stuff would be out of the way and secure.Instead have clogged up floors, just to make (or because of saving) a few $.

On high density seating, with swim wests under seat, there is hardly enough room for just you legs and feet.
Putting anything on the floor that could be stowed elsewhere is an unnecessary obstacle in case of evacuation.

I agree completely. Not on a low cost carrier, but using Swiss out for Nürnberg to Zürich on a full RJ100 I was sat down the back, all around me passengers were stuffing the (small) overhead bins with bags, then cluttering the floor, I was seriously very concerned as to how I and my fellow travellers, both with and without excess carry on luggage were going to escape were required to do so in an emergency landing or abandoned take off.

Ever since then I have thought that it will only take a fatal accident where the numbers of dead and injured were exacerbated by difficulties evacuating do to excess bags in the cabin to really give the industry a jolt and make a return to some sort of sanity regarding carry on luggage. It shouldn't need to come to this, and with EasyJet making this move, and the potential for other carriers to follow, hopefully the unnecessary fatalities may never happen.

vctenderness
6th Dec 2020, 13:53
Just how much jewellery and medication do you need to take? Simply wear your gold chains BA Baracus style, and smuggle the drugs like a mule.

Smaller iPads are available now, just wear larger glasses to read them.

I’ll pass your helpful suggestions on to Mrs VC I’m sure she will be very appreciative.......

PAXboy
6th Dec 2020, 22:11
Here is one to consider, I was sitting in the 'B' and M'lady in 'A'. This was my view of the 'C' in a 737-800. I think this constitutes obstruction. I told M'Lady that, if we had to make a run for it to be ready to jump on the seat to avoid it. Yes, I should have drawn attention to it but decided not as the bag was in full view and it was clear what would happen.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1120x2000/2017_01_28_11_34_red_dd2e919793b56a474cdb89c652eb849364805b9 e.jpg
This was, as you can see, on full fare. Taken a couple of years ago.

crewmeal
7th Dec 2020, 05:16
No need to worry he/she would probably take the bag with them if there was an emergency :-)

PAXboy
7th Dec 2020, 16:44
Yes. execpt that it is hooked over the table. They would have had to let the table down to release it. One never knows how little time there may be.

Saintsman
7th Dec 2020, 18:45
No need to worry he/she would probably take the bag with them if there was an emergency :-)

And probably, stop to get the overhead baggage on the way too.

krismiler
8th Dec 2020, 04:33
The overhead lockers on the A320 are bigger than the B737 where Ryanair normally have to put cabin baggage into the hold once the they bulk out at around 90 pax.

A320 typically only requires a few bags to go underneath and this normally only occurs with a full cabin or on certain routes which are baggage heavy.

Obviously a money making idea as they have little need to restrict hand luggage, unlike Ryanair who need
to reduce cabin baggage to avoid having to put it in the hold with the increased handling and turn around time.

businessair75
8th Dec 2020, 11:17
A few points about this.

1) easyJet offloads an average of 14 bags per flight

2) AFAIK nobody is stopping the use of the overhead lockers. It says it should fit under the seat. That means in theory there should not be any need for offloads due to running out of space in the cabin. Offloading cabin bags is a big source of customer dissatisfaction.

3) You can't pay extra for the larger cabin bag which would be profiteering.

4) The extra legroom/up front seats also gets you the larger cabin bag size plus a smaller bag and priority boarding

5) If you fly at any frequency the easyJet plus membership gets you all this for a fraction

6) Flexi fare customers get all that as well as fast track security and some complimentary food/drink

7) Standard seat passengers can still bring the larger bag and use "Hands Free" for £7. "Hold baggage" gives you two options. 15kg and 23kg

8) Those an easyJet holiday get 23kg hold luggage included

9) Failing all that, the new standard cabin bag size bag dimensions are larger than you think.

MAC 40612
9th Dec 2020, 20:10
Here is one to consider, I was sitting in the 'B' and M'lady in 'A'. This was my view of the 'C' in a 737-800. Taken a couple of years ago.

737-800? BA has never operated 737-800? [unless this was Comair, South Africa?]

I really do not understand if you thought it was enough of a safety issue to photograph it, why would you not have raised the issue with a member of the cabin crew?

PAXboy
9th Dec 2020, 20:34
Yes, it was Comair, well spotted. I took the balance of probabilities:

Judging the occupant of the C seat and their possible reaction.
The fullness of the flight - only a single rotation each day to this destination.
The possible problem was clear and well defined.
It would only have affected us two and we were aware of it.

Quartz-1
10th Dec 2020, 15:15
Does no one remember 2001?

In the aftermath of the WTC attacks no one was allowed cabin baggage and boarding proceeded much more smoothly.