PDA

View Full Version : Edinburgh-4

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Plane mad 134
16th Nov 2020, 13:03
According to SPD travels on twitter, Wizz have applied for a 4x aircraft base (A321) at both EDI and MAN. Good news if it comes to Fruition.

tartan 201
1st Dec 2020, 14:30
"Loganair today announced a twice weekly service between Edinburgh and Jersey as an addition to its 2021 summer schedule.

Tickets are on sale from today for the route, which starts on May 22 next year and operates on Saturdays and Sundays until September 26.

The route will be operated using a 70-seater ATR72 turboprop ...."

https://www.loganair.co.uk/our-story/latest-news/2020/loganair-launches-twice-weekly-service-between-edinburgh-and-jersey/

inOban
2nd Dec 2020, 13:54
Just curious. There was an extra Finnair flight inbound on ? Monday but no advertised return. However there is a flight to Helsinki today without an inbound. Did the plane spend two days on the ground at Edinburgh?

I notice that several routes eg to Ireland and AMS seem to be picking up recently.

SWBKCB
2nd Dec 2020, 14:45
Yes - arrived Monday, departed today

Link Kilo
2nd Dec 2020, 15:00
inOban

Finland's women's football team beat Scotland's 1-0 at Easter Road last night, so I suspect it was a charter related to that.

inOban
2nd Dec 2020, 15:25
Of course!

Asturias56
2nd Dec 2020, 15:27
Link Kilo

I'll bet there were a few drinks put away on THAT flight home!

Breathe
5th Dec 2020, 15:10
Plane mad 134

Article here speculating that MAN, CWL, SEN and EDI could be Wizz Air's next bases:

https://www.anna.aero/2020/12/02/routes-reconnected-wizz-air-ceo-13-new-bases-and-260-new-routes-since-pandemic-started/

"Váradi expects more UK bases. He didn’t suggest where, except where slots aren’t such an issue. anna.aero predicts that Manchester, Cardiff, London Southend, and Edinburgh will become future Wizz Air UK bases."

Letsflycwl
5th Dec 2020, 16:48
They’ve already announced a CWL base this week

nighthawk117
7th Dec 2020, 08:23
Edinburgh and Manchester base rumours have been doing the rounds for a few weeks - 4x A321s to be based. Surprised they havent announced anything yet though, Cardiff came from nowhere. Perhaps they are just that.. rumours. We'll see.

PDXCWL45
7th Dec 2020, 09:01
The rumours are based on slot applications so some substance to them.

Plane mad 134
9th Dec 2020, 10:35
According to Southampton thread there will be a weekly positioning flight EDI-SOU with BA CityFlyer, departs Friday night and arrives back on Sunday Morning.

nighthawk117
9th Dec 2020, 12:51
They'll be operating to 11 destinations from Southampton at weekends throughout the summer while LCY is closed. This seems to be coming at the expense of previous weekend flights they have done from Manchester and Stansted, possibly EDI too.

Breathe
15th Dec 2020, 18:11
Loganair adding Edinburgh to Glasgow tag on flights to Stornoway! :eek: Next they'll be flights between Edinburgh and Newcastle! What strange times we live in.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/transport/edinburgh-glasgow-flight-why-loganair-has-launched-new-route-between-scottish-cities-and-how-long-it-takes-3067009

Passengers at Edinburgh airport had been left scratching their heads when departure boards read the name of the neighbouring city’s flight centre, roughly an hours drive away.

But Loganair explained the obscure route via their Facebook page.

It wrote: “Well, it's no mistake, no publicity stunt, nor is it just a novel way of cutting down on rush hour traffic on the M8.

“The actual reason, however, is another side-effect of the pandemic...

"With insufficient demand for some routes from Edinburgh directly, we've temporarily amended our schedules to provide new mini-hubs across our network, allowing you to fly routes such as Edinburgh-Stornoway, via Glasgow, and Inverness to Kirkwall, via Aberdeen, to keep you connected as best as we possibly can right now.”

Plane mad 134
18th Dec 2020, 07:01
Departure board looking much busier today as the Christmas schedule starts for most airlines.

GrahamK
18th Dec 2020, 07:11
BA to Gatwick being dropped for S21 and W21/22.

Plane mad 134
18th Dec 2020, 09:09
Ezy are cutting:
• 2x weekly Bilbao
• 2x weekly Catania (will not start)
• 2x weekly Stuttgart
• 2x weekly Seville (still served by Ryanair).
• 2x weekly Verona (still served by Jet2).
• 3x weekly Vienna (still served by Ryanair).

Terrible news.

mariofly12
18th Dec 2020, 22:33
Does this mean that they might replace them with new ones and maintain their slots at EDI?

VickersVicount
18th Dec 2020, 23:19
I wouldn't have thought so. If there was to be a return to similar schedules it will be these routes that resurface, give or take.

SWBKCB
19th Dec 2020, 06:09
mariofly12

Is EDI slot limited?

CabinCrewe
19th Dec 2020, 08:38
No EDI is not slot limited

tictack67
19th Dec 2020, 08:46
​​​​​​
Actually Edinburgh is slot limited and classed as level 2, agreed not in the terms we'd first think like ATC flow rate.

Night-stopping aircraft and specific stands for Aircraft types require coordination.

From UK Gov:

http://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/CBP-9062/CBP-9062.pdf

Plane mad 134
7th Jan 2021, 10:26
Jet2 are adding 3 new Greek destinations for S22 (Preveza, Santorini and Skiathos). They are also bringing back Naples, Izmir and Thessaloniki having cut them for S21. All flights will operate weekly.

Thanks to SeanM1997 for the info.

ROC10
7th Jan 2021, 13:09
I hope this goes ahead. I’ve long felt that Santorini and Skiathos ought to be served from Scotland (at least I don’t think these routes are or have been served in the recent past, if ever). Is JSI-EDI possible on a 738 though? Perhaps they’d need a tech stop (SKG perhaps)?

helipixman
7th Jan 2021, 13:38
With the current new laws surrounding the latest Lockdown and travel restrictions I thought there might be a reduction in International flights. I get it that some are deemed essential for business reasons e.g Edi to CDG and AMS etc

Yestreday saw these flights, can anyone explain for the need

G-EZUO to Tenerife
G-UZHJ to Paphos
G-UZLD to Lanzarote

all Easyjet, were they crew training,cargo or passenger, surely not holiday flights ?

SWBKCB
7th Jan 2021, 14:02
Returning residents.

edi_local
7th Jan 2021, 17:47
Just because a flight is going to a holiday destination does not mean it has only holidaymakers on board. People live and work in those cities too.

I very much doubt they were anywhere near full, but still, the airline is providing a service those people needed.

helipixman
7th Jan 2021, 17:48
Returning residents, do you mean ex pat brits who have holiday homes ? which way are they travelling ? why would they want to come back to Britain when it's warmer out there. If they are purely holiday makers they have broken the law and should all be fined.

If you look around you, people are still not wearing masks, not sanitising their hands on entering shops, not keeping a safe distance and from local experience not sticking to the laws and still visiting in large numbers to others houses. So if all of that is going on I can bet if a member of joe public is hell bent on going on holiday he will make up some bull**** story and do it ? And they are making it worse for all others.

SWBKCB
7th Jan 2021, 18:12
You quoted the outbound flights, so it will be those people who have residential rights (you might want to check what is required). The rest of your rant isn't appropriate for this thread.

helipixman
7th Jan 2021, 18:31
If they are resident in Spain then what were they doing in Britain under lockdown rules, a holiday perhaps and the rest of my rant is appropriate, it shows that some people will bend the rules and do what they want, including travel ! I

A chap from Aberdeen recently boasted he flew from there to Manchester for leisure purposes over the Christmas period, the only day he was officially allowed to travel was Xmas day, but even then not south of the border ! My point is he did and just did not give a **** and basically said so. So that proves if the flight are there people will do it ?

I get all your points about business and residents returning, what I just cannot get my head around is the airports and authorites seem to allow people to travel without checking what they are going for, but how would they do that ? so it is open to abuse ?

Mister Geezer
11th Jan 2021, 18:56
Airports and airlines are hungry for revenue and I doubt there are enough UK Border force staff to stop everyone departing and entering the UK to verify their purpose of travel. Two of BAs best performing long haul routes during the holiday period were Dubai and Male. :hmm:

I just hope the new requirement for having a PCR test inbound to the UK, is not given the same relaxed approach when compared to ensuring that everyone arriving has a completed Passenger Locator Form.

Plane mad 134
10th Feb 2021, 09:19
Loganair are now cutting their 2x weekly flights to JER. Most likely due to EasyJet reinstating the service (Also 2x weekly).

LTNman
16th Feb 2021, 16:20
Sturgeon has said it is very unlikely Scots will be able to go on foreign holidays this summer according to the BBC.

Alteagod
16th Feb 2021, 16:53
As mad as she is I think she is probably correct. I think domestic air travel will pick up for summer but international very unlikely

LTNman
16th Feb 2021, 17:15
She sees England and the rest of the U.K. as foreign. I for one would not be booking a holiday in Scotland this year so my annual trip to Edinburgh will be put off for a second year.

tartan 201
21st Feb 2021, 08:58
Turkish Airlines planning a twice-weekly service to AYT from 19th June according to tweet below:

https://twitter.com/theaeronetwork/status/1363423792089899008?s=19

inOban
21st Feb 2021, 10:28
I wonder how many came back from krakow on FR last night to go into quarantine since in Scotland all foreign countries are 'red'

Plane mad 134
21st Feb 2021, 11:33
Interesting to see AYT added with the situation we are in, hopefully it goes ahead as planned. Competing with Jet2 on the route too.

Plane mad 134
21st Feb 2021, 12:29
Iberia Express have put EDI-MAD back on sale for S21 with 3x weekly flights on the A320 (starting 11th of June 2021).

BAladdy
1st Mar 2021, 06:51
LH have dropped there service to MUC.

nighthawk117
2nd Mar 2021, 13:03
They've done the same with Newcastle too. I wonder if they are concentrating on Frankfurt for now until demand recovers? No doubt it will return in the future.

cavokblues
2nd Mar 2021, 14:48
I was just looking at the figures from a more 'normal' year in 2019 - 11k pax between Edinburgh and Munich in Feb 2019 and 19k in August 2019. That's a lot of demand to have just disappeared now to be only served by one airline which, at the time of writing, will not even be daily! I guess it shows the true impact some airlines think Covid will have had on demand this year.

Plane mad 134
18th Mar 2021, 08:29
As reported on other threads, EasyJet are to start a 2x weekly EDI-BOH service from the 27th of May. Good to see some extra domestic services added.

Plane mad 134
24th Mar 2021, 16:01
Ryanair are adding a new 2x weekly service to Knock operating on Wednesday and Sunday, commencing the 1st of September. Will be year round. Good news to see more new routes.

VickersVicount
24th Mar 2021, 18:47
interesting theyre dropping 5/wk EDI-LDY and starting NOC 2/wk.
Loads were often a bit ropey on a BE dash never mind a 738.

nighthawk117
25th Mar 2021, 10:31
In fairness, you can't really Knock it until you've tried it :O

tictack67
25th Mar 2021, 10:55
Knock is not meant to be a substitute for LDY as it's nearly a 4 hour drive from LDY.

NOC serves greater Co Sligo market, Knock serviced about 1 million precovid and before Ryanair.

LDY dropped/suspended due to Brexit rules about domestic flights.

So Brexit reduces domestic flights within the UK...great.

Skipness One Foxtrot
26th Mar 2021, 01:05
Is there a reason Ryanair UK can't operate EDI-LDY? That's why they've just put another one on the UK register.

tictack67
26th Mar 2021, 06:20
nothing to stop "Ryanair UK" operating domestically within the UK.
They planned to Just wetlease any of the 450 a/c to Ryanair UK but the CAA won't allow this.

There are only 2 G- reg aircraft now. So maybe a while before more UK domestic routes added.

Plane mad 134
1st Apr 2021, 09:34
Announced a few days ago that Lauda are adding a new 2x weekly Zadar service.

Also very early days but Lufthansa have put the first few days of S22 on sale and MUC appears to return (7x weekly A319) from the 27th of March 2022.

ld0595
12th Apr 2021, 09:19
Twice weekly service to Riga with Air Baltic starting on 4th June. Flights are Mondays and Fridays and run until the end of October.

https://www.leta.lv/eng/home/press_release/91F3B780-2C22-434A-B571-17859CF5E9F2/

A350Saltire
12th Apr 2021, 09:34
Will be nice to see the A220 at EDI

Asturias56
12th Apr 2021, 09:50
I suspect they'll become quite popular on thin European routes

Plane mad 134
12th Apr 2021, 12:44
Fantastic news, hopefully the service goes ahead!

tictack67
12th Apr 2021, 18:30
Asturias56

Can you elaborate, the A220-300 for Air Baltic has 145 seats.

Asturias56
13th Apr 2021, 15:25
If you look at the A318 thread that's around somewhere on here the general feeling is that LCO's are currently using the A.320 as the baseline and most expect to convert to the A321.

That's the reason Airbus bought the programme from Bombardier - its fits in under their current main offerings. An LCO needs a lot of seats (relatively speaking) because of the cost structure. Use turboprops for the real low cost/short range stuff and jets with over 100 seats for the mass market. Certainly in Europe & ME that'll be the pattern

tictack67
13th Apr 2021, 17:56
Ah yes totally agree, thought you meant specifically Edinburgh to Riga was a thin route, Air Baltic only have the A220

VickersVicount
13th Apr 2021, 19:43
perhaps it is, if only twice weekly summer only..

Plane mad 134
13th Apr 2021, 20:31
In reaction to Air Baltic coming on to the route, Ryanair have increased EDI-RIX from 2x to 4x weekly (new Mon and Fri flights).

CabinCrewe
14th Apr 2021, 07:28
Ryanair will have them for dinner... 6 flights a week now between them? Lets see how long Air Baltic hang around, if they even start.

tictack67
14th Apr 2021, 07:58
Strange attitude to have. I personally wish them well and welcome any signs of airlines trying new routes. Many in the profession will be somewhat relieved.

Ryanair operate many routes that are served by other airlines for a while from Edinburgh (and elsewhere)

In it's own fight for survival Ryanair has realised generating traffic is the way to go rather than the huge expense of chasing an airline out of a route.
From Edinburgh, FR are not exclusive on Palma, Ibiza, Tenerife, Alicante, Barcelona, Malaga, Hamburg, Dublin, Berlin, Bucharest, Faro, Karkow, Katowice, Lanzarote, Naples, Rome, Gdansk, Gran Canaria, Seville, Copenhagen, Lisbon, Prague Vienna, Budapest. As well as competing on Warsaw (Wmi) , Milan (GBY), Venice (TSF), Stockholm (VST)

nighthawk117
14th Apr 2021, 08:46
airBaltic also offer connecting flights - so they are serving far more than just the Edinburgh to Riga market, but also Eastern Europe, Scandinavia and Russia. Lets also not forget that Riga and the other Baltic states are quite big stag/hen do destinations at the moment. There may be more than enough traffic to accommodate both on the route. Lets see how it goes.

Plane mad 134
6th May 2021, 17:03
Ryanair have now increased RIX flights from 2x to 4x weekly in the winter too.

Plane mad 134
11th May 2021, 17:38
Multiple changes have now been made after the Scottish Government confirms that 12 countries will be on the Green list (Same as England).

• Ryanair are increasing the following from the 24th of May:
- Faro to 7x weekly.
- Lisbon to 3x weekly.
- Porto to 3x weekly.

BA Cityflyer are adding Southampton for the Winter (now available year round at 1x weekly). As well as a summer Seasonal Guernsey on E190.

EasyJet have made the following changes:
- GIB launch moved forward to the 5th of June (1x weekly) increases to 2x weekly from 29th of June.
- Lisbon will be moved forward to 3rd of June restart (instead of July) at 2x weekly.

VickersVicount
11th May 2021, 20:17
Southhampton once weekly in winter? who is that suiting- the cruise sorts ?

inOban
11th May 2021, 20:28
Surely it's merely a positioning flight. Rather than flying it back to LCY on a Friday evening it's going to SOU. Remember that there are no longer any BACF crew based in Scotland.

Plane mad 134
24th May 2021, 18:47
As stated on the Southampton thread, Loganair are to resume their EDI-CWL service (5x weekly E145) from the 2nd of August. Will be 3x weekly during the winter.

With regards to the BA Cityflyer winter Southampton route. Its basically a positioning flight down to SOU to operate the Winter Ski flights (CMF I believe) and returns on Sunday. So the flights were put on sale to make a bit of extra money instead of positioning down empty.

adfly
24th May 2021, 19:00
With BA and Loganair codesharing it does actually offer a little extra weekend flexibility timings wise for a passenger travelling EDI-SOU or vice versa - and BA's fares are considerably lower too on the same days.

Plane mad 134
16th Jun 2021, 22:09
2 new routes announced today:

• 1x weekly Turin by Ryanair starting 6th of November on Saturdays.
• 5x weekly Manchester by EasyJet starting 9th of July on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Sunday.

Very pleasantly surprised by the MAN route. But that's now all the former Flybe routes reinstated after Loganair announced CWL last month. I hope it does well.

willy wombat
17th Jun 2021, 08:20
I rather think that EDIMAN on an Airbus comes into the “what on earth can we do with our fleet” category. I don’t see this as a long term mainline jet route.

CabinCrewe
17th Jun 2021, 10:12
There has to be a few environmental eyebrows raised also - on such a short route, good existing train and motorway links.
The fuel used / efficiency on a Airbus versus a small prop when likely to be half empty will be astonishing.
Interesting to see the fare profile on this.

willy wombat
17th Jun 2021, 10:33
I would actually take issue re “good motorway links”. I drive regularly from Sussex to Edinburgh and vv and go right past Manchester. The options are either stay on the motorway and go the long way round via Glasgow or go cross country on the A702, neither of which is a great option (and don’t get me started on the A1!)

fanrailuk
1st Jul 2021, 20:08
TUI to close Edinburgh base after 'difficult decision' during pandemic (https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/edinburgh-news/tui-close-edinburgh-airport-base-20948997.amp?__twitter_impression=true)

inOban
1st Jul 2021, 20:15
They only had one based a/c. Lost out to Jet2, I guess.

Plane mad 134
1st Jul 2021, 20:25
It's a shame to see TUI close the base, my thoughts are with the crew involved.

​​​​​​I think Jet2 will pick up any lost capacity however.

CabinCrewe
1st Jul 2021, 20:28
inOban

’only had’ might be downplaying this. TUI are now much less likely to return, where they may have expanded when things pick up. They don't normally get fussed by likes of Jet2.

ROC10
1st Jul 2021, 20:33
This is a real shame and they have also closed ABZ so only a limited Scottish presence at GLA. TUI have never really committed to EDI though so I think it’s probably partially their own doing. Maybe Jet2 will look to grow more significantly to cover the loss of TUI plus some future growth (hopefully).

double-oscar
4th Jul 2021, 08:40
TUI will still have flights from EDI but they will not have an aircraft based there.

wesleyscott
5th Jul 2021, 12:41
Air Canada seen to be back next June using a MAX 8 for Toronto

habs_fan
6th Jul 2021, 21:21
was planed to be the the MAX this year. Hopefully see them back in 2022

Skipness One Foxtrot
6th Jul 2021, 23:45
Great news, and this is the first time seeing Air Canada mainline as opposed to Rouge, albeit on a much smaller aircraft. In size terms it's like the DC8-40s they used to send to PIK.....!

Plane mad 134
19th Jul 2021, 19:15
EasyJet add 2 new winter routes:
• 2x weekly ACE (THU/SUN)
• 2x weekly FUE (WED/SAT)

I know these operated briefly for a few flights in W20 but now on sale for next winter.

tartan 201
20th Jul 2021, 19:18
Upbeat article about potential Ryanair expansion below.

"We are currently in discussions with Gordon [Dewar – Edinburgh Airport chief executive] and his team, which are progressing very well.

"We would certainly hope to be adding new aircraft at Edinburgh over the coming years.

"We’ll be back no doubt very soon to hopefully announce more routes and and frequencies, not just Edinburgh but all of our Scottish airports."

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/transport/ryanair-in-edinburgh-expansion-talks-despite-covid-travel-restrictions-shambles-3315751

Plane mad 134
20th Jul 2021, 21:26
Good to see there are positive talks ongoing, with Tallinn going back on sale today for the winter as well.

​​​​​

Plane mad 134
11th Aug 2021, 08:34
Virgin Atlantic to start flights at EDI! New 2x weekly BGI flights start on the 5th of December whilst MCO starts in April 2022 (also 2x weekly).

Fantastic news.

wesleyscott
11th Aug 2021, 10:34
Great news!! Edinburgh is the place to be

CabinCrewe
11th Aug 2021, 18:42
Wow! great to see a Virgin commitment albeit slightly odd/unpredicted.

SWBKCB
11th Aug 2021, 18:51
DL/VS consolidation?

VickersVicount
11th Aug 2021, 18:54
Weren't the EDI locals suggesting VS was a ‘basket case’ would ‘retreat to only LHR’ and will ‘need a bailout’ ?
What’s changed? Apr 22 for a new launch is not that far away with covid….
But nice big headline none-the-less

gopaisleygo
11th Aug 2021, 19:16
A kick in the kahoonas for the west. We’ll done EDI tho, great add. Think GLA may need to relook at their Biz Dev / marketing team and where they go from here and why (EK apart) they continue to fall so far behind.

Skipness One Foxtrot
11th Aug 2021, 21:15
You gotta think Emirates are looking at this and thinking did we drop the right Scottish airport? The market has spoken and GLA is nowhere at the minute!

mwm991
11th Aug 2021, 21:23
Glasgow can't compete with Edinburgh anymore. It's peers now are more like LBA and EMA as opposed to EDI or even BRS.

Weak management and a bad political climate is going to make things very difficult for Glasgow (and Aberdeen) going forward. As you say I'm surprised at Emirates. When the likes of UA opened up at EDI the focus went east.

tictack67
11th Aug 2021, 21:40
I think traffic is more two way at Edinburgh.

I flew FR once to and from Gran Canaria, the flight was around around 35% Spanish residents.

Same with Lisbon.

​​​​​​I see air Canada haven't loaded to Glasgow yet but have to Edinburgh on B738, though cheaper Air Transat are doing Glasgow

Time will tell with EK what they do.

A350Saltire
11th Aug 2021, 21:46
Fantastic news for EDI and congrats to the team there. The limited Florida service from Tui pre pandemic was always full and it always seemed like there was far more scope for additional more regular services to Orlando.

As for GLA I’d be fairly concerned about this if I were them and no amount of tweeting Richard Branson to complain about it will change things (cringe)!

Link Kilo
11th Aug 2021, 21:54
Skipness One Foxtrot

Have been thinking that too. I appreciate that they have the lounge at GLA but the sunk cost fallacy shouldn't stop them seeing the way the market is going.

Link Kilo
11th Aug 2021, 21:59
53%:47% inbound:outbound split for international travellers according to this (data a few years old) (https://www.routesonline.com/airports/5601/edinburgh-airport/) Highest outside London.

inOban
11th Aug 2021, 21:59
I don't think that the shift of so many routes to Edinburgh is anything to do with the management. EDI is just better located geographically. For much of Glasgow it's as easy, if not easier, to get to EDI than GLA .

mwm991
11th Aug 2021, 23:41
I would agree with you on geography especially for someone like me who is much closer geographically to GLA but at the wrong time of day I'm probably just as quick getting to EDI. The three airports AGS run are stagnant though. Their track record is pretty suspect based on that IMO.

fjencl
12th Aug 2021, 17:22
Does Edinburgh operate direct flights to JFK ?

inOban
12th Aug 2021, 17:26
.in normal years!

Skipness One Foxtrot
12th Aug 2021, 17:58
Delta did and are due back next summer.

Breathe
12th Aug 2021, 18:46
Potentially not so good news for a new potential access road to the airport.

Controversial new access route plans for Edinburgh Airport set to be refused by city council

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/transport/controversial-new-access-route-plans-for-edinburgh-airport-set-to-be-refused-by-city-council-3344333

In January, Edinburgh Airport applied to Edinburgh City Council’s planning department for permission to construct a new access road and ‘active travel route’ running north-west to south-east between terminal one and the Gogar Roundabout on the A8 dual carriageway.

The current access road to the airport is in poor condition, and pre-pandemic the route was frequently congested with heavy traffic at peak times.

First discussed several years ago, the proposed new road was intended to to reduce congestion on the current airport road and be fully “accessible to general traffic”.

A planning statement, submitted by George Street-based planning consultants, Lichfields, reads: “This preferred alignment removes the need for a substantial amount of dual carriageway road and is significantly less environmentally sensitive as a result of both this reduced carriageway size requirement and location away from the site’s most sensitive receptors – Gogar Burn, Gogar Mains and Gogar Castle.

“Under this option only the small section of road from the southern junction where a connection would be made for International Business Gateway (IBG) traffic would need to be dualled (approximately 0.25km).

“A further advantage of splitting the airport traffic from IBG traffic earlier is that the road to the airport will require less junctions and bus stops and therefore the journey times to the Eastern Terminus will be as short as possible for public and private transport.

“This is important if users are to be persuaded that it is worthwhile taking this route to the airport rather than continuing to use Eastfield Road.”

However, the plans split public opinion, with the council receiving 57 objections and 74 letters of support from Edinburgh residents.

Objections have focussed largely on the environmental impact – with air quality in the vicinity of the route a major concern for objectors – while supporters say the road will reduce congestion and ease commuting for airport workers.

Now, planners are set to reject the proposals as council mandarins say they conflict with the local authority’s plans for a Gogar link road – despite the council’s local development plans being supportive of another airport access route.

A report, sent to councillors head of a crunch meeting of the development management committee on Wednesday August 18, reads: “The principle of a new access road serving the airport is supported by the local development plan (LDP).

“However, this route is intended to be multi-purpose and support the long-term sustainable development of West Edinburgh.

“The proposed route is not consistent with the West Edinburgh Strategic Design Framework (WESDF) and LDP Proposal T9, which safeguards the Gogar Link Road, a route which was subject to comprehensive analysis as part of WETA (West Edinburgh Transport Appraisal) Refresh Study 2016.

“The proposal would not achieve coordinated development, the route alignment would be prejudicial to the delivery of the Gogar Link Road and potentially require the delivery of a second route to achieve the objectives of the LDP.”

Plane mad 134
16th Aug 2021, 16:36
EasyJet are to make GIB year round, 2x weekly flights available this winter. Same for Vueling and their BCN route which will also be 2x weekly this winter.

inOban
26th Aug 2021, 12:02
I see that there's a Norwegian flight en route from CPN just now. I had almost forgotten that the airline still existed!

Richard Taylor
26th Aug 2021, 13:22
I had no idea Norwegian flew to EDI from Papa New Guinea............ :}

inOban
26th Aug 2021, 14:19
Oops!.Corrected

tictack67
30th Aug 2021, 12:39
Nice to see Brussels airline back several times a week in A320.

Turkish continue using A321, as do Lufthansa on the later rotation.

Hopefully normality

A350Saltire
31st Aug 2021, 12:04
Hearing rumours of Westjet to YYZ from EDI 3x per week from June 2022 on the 737M8

Plane mad 134
31st Aug 2021, 12:41
It has been confirmed, will operate inbound on TUE, THU and SAT on B737 Max 8.

Therefore YYZ increases from 4x weekly Rouge B763 pre-covid to 7x weekly AC MAX8 and 3x weekly WestJet MAX8 next summer.

inOban
31st Aug 2021, 14:14
Looking at their website, Qatar are restoring the Saturday flight from this week.

eye2eye5
7th Sep 2021, 11:00
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/sep/07/firstgroup-to-launch-budget-london-to-edinburgh-rail-service-next-month?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

inOban
11th Sep 2021, 10:05
What's the
Kuwait flight approaching just now? Some Sheiks visiting their Highland Estates?

tictack67
11th Sep 2021, 10:24
Kuwait airways operate a student charter from Guangzhou to Edinburgh via Kuwait on an A330-800.

Source @SPD_travels twitter

Breathe
13th Sep 2021, 16:49
That'll be a rare catch for the plane spotters.

wub
21st Sep 2021, 14:58
We arrived at EDI from Heathrow at 20:00 last night and not for the first time, there were no taxis at the rank. I would hate to be a first time user at EDI because at least, as locals, we knew how to whistle up a taxi but some people looked totally bewildered. We gave a few of them a local cab firm number to help out. It's a disgrace.

A350Saltire
22nd Sep 2021, 09:24
DL to BOS back on for 2022 using a 763 I hear.

ld0595
22nd Sep 2021, 16:10
Good stuff. Looks like JFK will be on a 763 too which is a good upgrade. With AA sending a 788 to PHL, it looks like we'll be seeing a few more US wudebodies next year all going well.

inOban
27th Sep 2021, 20:16
I notice (I may have missed it earlier ) that there are now two early flights to LCY, so business traffic must be recovering.

nighthawk117
28th Sep 2021, 08:09
That's going to be an interesting route to watch. With all the predictions about the end of office life due to a shift to home working and online meetings, then the LCY route will be particularly badly effected.

A350Saltire
1st Oct 2021, 09:40
FR add:

BVA at 3 per week
PMO at 2 per week
MAD at 3 per week

All from November.

CabinCrewe
1st Oct 2021, 09:44
Presumably throwing darts after all the other dropped routes. Palermo mid winter is a bold choice. Vueling Orly and FR BVA will only end one way.

tictack67
1st Oct 2021, 10:29
Personally I'm glad they are trying new things, if there's not the uptake then it is the use or or lose it event. Not everyone wants Tenerife style weather.

Airlines use methods to determine underserved routes, data from connections etc.

Though the darts at a board gave me a chuckle, one can only wonder if Glasgow airport had darts, threw them or even what in the game

SWBKCB
1st Oct 2021, 10:43
And the point of this comment is...?

Porrohman
2nd Oct 2021, 14:27
The EGPH Forum website has been suspended. Is this temporary or permanent?

A350Saltire
13th Oct 2021, 14:31
Really useful new page from EDI about routes that are currently flying post Covid, what is returning next week and those returning in the next 30 days and coming soon.

https://www.edinburghairport.com/flights/destinations/now-flying

inOban
13th Oct 2021, 18:22
It would be really useful if it was up to date and accurate. It suggests that both Milan and Munich are restarting within 30 days, presumably with easyjet. However the Easyjet website now shows neither route restarting until early December.

A350Saltire
14th Oct 2021, 13:12
UA confirm that IAD-EDI, EWR-EDI and ORD-EDI will resume in Summer 2022.

4eyed anorak
14th Oct 2021, 15:10
Will they still be using the 757?

GrahamK
14th Oct 2021, 16:11
All showing as 757s in the booking engine.

Tremendous amount of transatlantic capacity from EDI next year. Overcapacity perhaps?

Link Kilo
14th Oct 2021, 16:40
With UA and DL not currently showing as operating to GLA in S22, the capacity between central Scotland and the USA in S22 will still be lower than in S19.

Skipness One Foxtrot
14th Oct 2021, 17:17
United expect a summer 2022 return to GLA.
I can't imagine it'll bounce right back unless the onboard mask mandate ends, too many folk not inclined to wear one for that long IMHO.

4eyed anorak
14th Oct 2021, 17:38
I always thought Air Canada were scheduled to operate 4 x weekly YYZ - EDI but noticed a tweet from them that its daily. When did that happen?

Link Kilo
14th Oct 2021, 17:45
Skipness One Foxtrot

No they don't: "United won't fly previous routes from Newark to Manchester and Newark to Glasgow in the U.K. and San Francisco to Dublin, Quayle said."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2021/10/14/united-airlines-plans-new-flights-to-jordan-and-europe-in-bet-on-revival-in-international-travel.html

Link Kilo
14th Oct 2021, 17:47
4eyed anorak

Don't know if or when it was formally announced, but it's been on sale for months - long before Westjet announced their competing service.

inOban
14th Oct 2021, 19:09
There will be a lot of postponed family visits being rescheduled for S22.

CabinCrewe
14th Oct 2021, 19:45
GrahamK

Don’t think theres any doubt about it…
Expect more changes over next 12m

Skipness One Foxtrot
15th Oct 2021, 00:00
Link Kilo

Oh that's contrary to other media today!! Thanks for sharing, what a shame, but not a surprise alas.

willy wombat
15th Oct 2021, 08:52
I suppose that theoretically leaves GLA uncontested for JetBlue.

tictack67
15th Oct 2021, 09:50
I make that 7 destinations in the north America continent by 5 carriers.

willy wombat
15th Oct 2021, 15:09
Just a shame it’s not a more pleasant airport to pax through.

wub
16th Oct 2021, 09:36
Having a taxi rank with taxis on it would be a great help.

Link Kilo
16th Oct 2021, 19:32
Official confirmation of Air Canada returning in June:

https://aircanada.mediaroom.com/2021-10-14-Air-Canada-Unveils-Plans-For-Its-Summer-2022-Schedule-To-Europe,-Africa,-The-Middle-East-and-India

inOban
19th Oct 2021, 08:17
They tried that route once before I think.

GAXLN
19th Oct 2021, 08:20
Let us see how it does this time then

Asturias56
19th Oct 2021, 16:53
willy wombat

Could be worse - Glasgow for example - and Manchester isn't a great spot either

Breathe
19th Oct 2021, 21:41
https://corporate.ryanair.com/news/ryanair-launches-new-route-from-edinburgh-to-marrakesh/

Ryanair UK - Edinburgh to Marrakesh. Flights start 18 December 2021

RK514 EDI 0600-1100 RAK (Sat)
RK514 EDI 1510-2010 RAK (Tue)

RK515 RAK 1125-1425 EDI (Sat)
RK515 RAK 2035-2335 EDI (Tue)

wub
20th Oct 2021, 16:22
Morocco has just banned flights from the UK

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58981507

CabinCrewe
20th Oct 2021, 16:33
Morrocco flights outwith 80’s package tour flights never last anyway!

Planeraz
20th Oct 2021, 20:19
Saudi 333 at gate 6 today. First time visitor to EDI? Security personnel at gate area and on apron. VIP or Saudi royalty?

Link Kilo
20th Oct 2021, 20:54
It was a 777. I think so. Don't know, but was a Saudi government machine. Another one due tomorrow.

Planeraz
20th Oct 2021, 21:06
cool. It was hard to see exactly what it was. I was out of gate 6. The security were keeping a close eye on us boarding an EZY 320!

I meant to type gate 4. Trial runs for cop26?

nighthawk117
21st Oct 2021, 08:04
Anyone know why it was there?

wub
21st Oct 2021, 10:16
It apparently offloaded 200 pax.

Planeraz
24th Oct 2021, 18:52
Virgin have changed equipment for MCO route. Now operating on a 333. 332 is being phased out. A nice increase in capacity. Forward bookings look very positive in economy, PE and business according to seat plans. I wonder if they may increase frequency should this continue? On a less positive note, bookings for Barbados, due to start in December look very poor. I fear this could be dropped before the route starts.

Wycombe
24th Oct 2021, 22:10
December (until later in the month) is considered low-ish season in places like BGI, ANU and UVF. I believe there are also some Covid-related restrictions (eg, evening curfew) in place in BGI at the moment which may put people off.

Planeraz
25th Oct 2021, 08:24
Equipment change for Barbados service. A333 from launch date; should it go ahead.

Planeraz
26th Oct 2021, 20:03
EDI-JFK route resumption pushed back to 1st May 2022. Regarding testing, Sturgeon, today, grudgingly confirmed alignment with UK Gov for “practical reasons” from Sunday 1st Nov. 1 week later than England. Her continual briefing against the travel sectors and deliberate delaying re aligning clearly continues to affect confidence with the airlines. As normal, she also added a tartan twist to the testing arrangements. Passengers must select provider from a select list of Scottish Gov approved suppliers. All are more expensive than providers in England. You can obtain LF Test in England for as little as £14. In Scotland, it will be “between” £20 and £30. Mirroring PCR testing, this is another deliberate ploy to make travelling from Scotland less affordable.

BAladdy
27th Oct 2021, 03:46
Does anyone know anything about SunExpress planning to add flights to AYT from EDI for S22. Just noticed that Expertflyer shows they plan to operate 2 x Weekly from 2nd April, increasing to 3 x Weekly from 26th May.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1577x392/76c844ac_43e5_47e7_a273_e959ebca32ab_4193a85d90e50d021f0be2c 865b78b242bee57f5.jpeg

Link Kilo
27th Oct 2021, 05:20
BAladdy A "UK Airline Schedule Analyst" on social media a couple of weeks ago referred to them adding two new UK destinations, and has today stated they are EDI and BHX. The TK flights to AYT on Thursdays and Saturdays are showing in your excerpt above as operating 15 minutes later than the XQ flights, but amazingly arriving 30 minutes earlier. Given the former airline part-own the latter, I can't imagine they would run both flights on those days.

chaps1954
27th Oct 2021, 10:47
A lot is to do with hotel change over days in the holiday business

Breathe
28th Oct 2021, 19:39
The Londonderry/Derry route returns with Loganair.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-foyle-west-59061360

BAladdy
29th Oct 2021, 09:56
Turkish Airlines are tomorrow planning to operate use a A333 instead of the usual A321neo. Is the first time TK have used a wide body on there EDI route?

A350Saltire
29th Oct 2021, 10:27
I am sure I remember TK sending an A330 a few years ago but I could be wrong.

Planeraz
29th Oct 2021, 10:51
They did use a 332 in 2019. A 321 went tech the previous day I believe. Must have been sent to collect the delayed and booked pax for that day. Can only guess they are using larger aircraft tomorrow to satisfy huge demand from COP attendees. I did notice that tomorrows Qatar service appears to be completely full.

Tomorrows TK- A333 is completely full in Business. Only flex economy available. Must be close to completely full.

tictack67
29th Oct 2021, 11:51
COP26.

Sunday showing a 777

BAladdy
29th Oct 2021, 13:28
I am guessing if there is a TK 777 coming in on Sunday that it’s a charter as they only operate a 3 x weekly service with flights on a Monday, Thursday and Saturday.

tictack67
29th Oct 2021, 15:02
Stand corrected. You are right Saturdays flight is A330 and no flight this Sunday

figgi_gsm
29th Oct 2021, 21:12
will be usual FR24 error that shows TK flights as 772. They don’t have any!

Planeraz
29th Oct 2021, 21:46
First time visitor to EDI on Sunday? Vietnam Airlines 787-9. Arriving from Prestwick at 09:50. I assume it is being parked up while COP is taking place.

Planeraz
31st Oct 2021, 08:48
Av geek heaven at EDI today. Lots of private charters and upgraded equipment on certain scheduled routes. Russian Gov falcon 7x due in. Qatar is using a 789, presumably to meet demand. El Al 739 due later today. Another 1st time visitor to EDI?

DaveReidUK
31st Oct 2021, 09:21
Doesn't FR24 use ICAO, rather than IATA, aircraft codes ?

willy wombat
31st Oct 2021, 10:12
Wouldn’t the spotters info re COP visitors be better posted in the COP26 thread in Spectators’ Balcony?

Planeraz
1st Nov 2021, 07:02
KLM have significantly reduced capacity from today. E90, E190, E75 and occasional 737 being used for remainder of year.

nighthawk117
1st Nov 2021, 09:49
Are they not increasing frequency though? I'm sure I saw a post on LinkedIn from Edinburgh boasting about all the flight increases over the winter.

Planeraz
1st Nov 2021, 10:10
You may be right. They may also have reversed the decision to increase frequency due to poor forward bookings. Even adding an additional daily E90 for example, it would still be a decrease in capacity. They have been operating for weeks using 738 and 739 multiple times per day. The ongoing sector bashing by Sturgeon and co won’t help matters.

davidjohnson6
1st Nov 2021, 18:14
Theaeronetwork reports Neos (Italian version of TUI) has a charter from Akureyri to EDI and back on 19-22 Nov. Anyone know who this is for ?

GrahamK
1st Nov 2021, 18:17
Army at a guess

renfrew
1st Nov 2021, 18:34
Or Icelanders coming down for Christmas shopping.

GrahamK
2nd Nov 2021, 09:03
Yes, I was getting mixed up with Akrotiri :oh:

Planeraz
5th Nov 2021, 09:12
Qatar

Qatar have changed operating schedule. Still currently showing x4 weekly. Friday and Saturday flight dropped. Now operating S,M,W&TH. Seems a bit strange to drop Friday and Saturday departure which you would think is likely to be the most popular with outbound pax. Is it the case that outbound (UK) pax demand is still at rock bottom due to the ongoing travel restrictions from Scotland?

inOban
5th Nov 2021, 09:38
These changed days have been on their website for some time. It did seem odd to have flights on 4 successive days and then none for 3. The flights are now better spread.

HH6702
5th Nov 2021, 10:51
the days seem to match that of EK NCL flight

GAXLN
7th Nov 2021, 22:05
Mainly they do, although EK ex NCL are Mon, Wed, Fri and Sun.

Planeraz
8th Nov 2021, 07:31
The US is finally opening up today. AA, DL and United reporting 100% load factors from London. They are all increasing capacity, Trying to satisfy huge demand. What do we have from EDI and Scotland? Zero, nothing. No transatlantic flights until well into 2022. DL have even pushed back resumption until May. Their is huge pent-up demandTo fly from Scotland. Covid has an impact on confidence from the public to fly. What continues to hurt and damage the sector is Sturgeon and co continuing to brief against the Scottish airport and travel sector. Only yesterday, the transport lead warned that Scots should avoid international travel for some time to come. The so called aligning with UK Gov testing regs is another con. Like PCR tests, Scottish gov have compiled a very limited number of approved suppliers for LF, which you must use. All are significantly more expensive than approved suppliers in England. The general travel advice from scot gov has also not been changed. It remains the case that all non essential international travel is banned. The barriers to truly aligning and opening up are well and truly up. A deliberate act which is catastrophic for the sector.

bycrewlgw
8th Nov 2021, 08:35
a simple search on the gov.scot website states that the list of providers for PCR / LFTs can be found on the gov.uk website so not sure how you reach the conclusion that the Scottish gov are limiting the test providers and pushing the prices up. It’s the same list.

from the current guidance it’s only the red list countries that has essential reasons only. Since there are currently NO RED LIST COUNTRIES on Scotland’s nor the UK’s list travel is no longer for essential reasons only.

Planeraz
8th Nov 2021, 09:32
The list of (Scot Gov) approved suppliers is smaller than the UK Gov list. Cheaper tests are available on the UK Gov approved list but they don’t appear on the Scot Gov list. This is not like for like aligning. The rules for traveling from or into Scotland were updated on 5/11. Prior to that date my comments about travel advice is correct. It would appear the guidance has finally been updated. I stand corrected. You still have to wonder why it took so long for this scottish gov advice to be officially updated.
I stand by my comments about ministerial briefings against the scottish airport and travel sectors. It’s clear that such ongoing comments is damaging and is preventing any meaningful recovery for the scottish sectors. Edinburgh was packed over the last weekend. It was noticeable how many Americans and Canadians are currently in town. The reality is, not one of them traveled directly into Scotland from the US or Canada.

willy wombat
8th Nov 2021, 09:52
On another matter, there have been comments on here about lack of taxis at EDI. Grateful if someone could tell me if this is now resolved. Will be flying into EDI in a couple of weeks (ETA 10.00] and will need a cab. If I was going into the City I’d take the tram but I’m not.

Link Kilo
8th Nov 2021, 10:15
Only yesterday, the transport lead warned that Scots should avoid international travel for some time to come

Can you post a link to this please?

tartan 201
8th Nov 2021, 11:13
Planeraz

Emotive stuff. The implication of what you're saying would be that Edinburgh's recovery should be lagging behind that of other airports in the UK outwith Scotland. I've compared the CAA data for September 2021 with September 2019 and expressed each airport's throughput in the former as a percentage of the latter. (A few airports - including ABZ, BFS, BHD, GLA, SOU, BRS - have yet to report). It's hard to make a case from that comparison that Edinburgh is uniquely badly affected and lagging behind other similarly-sized airports elsewhere in the UK.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/721x529/screenshot_2021_11_08_121017_ec1d8a3dc81cf2293b7158500b265a5 ba5c78902.jpg

inOban
8th Nov 2021, 16:00
I too was puzzled by the delay in restarting TA - I had half expected one of the operators to fly over Christmas because there must be a pent up demand for family reunions. However I read that the US airlines are struggling to find enough crew to deliver their domestic schedule so its hardly surprising that they aren't able to restore secondary international routes.

Gordon3333
9th Nov 2021, 08:33
I am flying to Italy out of Edinburgh in February, I am hearing that if you get organized beforehand it is pretty smooth now...

Planeraz
14th Nov 2021, 08:49
Air Baltic

Looks like they have reversed their decision to dump the Edinburgh route. Showing as resuming on 2nd April 2022 - 2 x weekly.

Planeraz
15th Nov 2021, 22:50
Emirates

It would appear that the EDI-Dubai route is gone for good. Was officially “suspended”. With Newcastle set to go double daily, their appears to be little chance of a resumption. Good news for Qatar potentially. It will be interesting to see if they revert to double daily next summer. Confidence is everything so any more threats of return to restrictions and travel bans from the Scottish Govt have to stop.

tictack67
16th Nov 2021, 08:19
I doubt we can ever say gone for good these days. Especially likes of Ryanair.

I think it's cos alot of connecting completion at Edinburgh,. Qatar.Turkish Finnair, KLM, Air France, Finnair, Brussels airlines and BA

Gordon3333
16th Nov 2021, 10:30
I arrived back in Edinburgh yesterday and there seemed to be plenty of taxis. May be certain times of day there are issues...I went through just after 3pm

figgi_gsm
17th Nov 2021, 17:33
EDI has finally announced the Sun Express flights from AYT.

he three-weekly service to Antalya will begin on April 2 2022 operating on Tuesdays and Saturdays, then stepping up to Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays from May 24 2022. The service will be served by a Boeing 737 fleet.

CabinCrewe
17th Nov 2021, 19:47
Im guessing the originally timetabled TK service ditched as result as did seem OTT.
Im sure i’ve seen SunExpress on summer charters to Scotland in the past.

tictack67
17th Nov 2021, 21:09
These are scheduled flights.

This is the first time sunexpress have ever operated to Edinburgh, perhaps you are confused with sunwing
Sunexpress is an LH & TK venture, the TK flights are still available to book, perhaps Turkish holidays will be even more popular for many people's budget, however I think the bookings may start to be merged.

Planeraz
17th Nov 2021, 22:15
Westjet

EDI-YYZ

This proposed new route appears to be in serious doubt. After reaching out to Westjet via Twitter about their website and difficulty in booking flights, I received a reply stating that due to ongoing uncertainty and local scottish govt restrictions, the route is currently being re-assessed. An update will be released in due course. Very disappointing potentially and predictable really. As mentioned in other posts, airlines need confidence to operate routes. Westjet clearly have major concerns about the scottish market and the ongoing threat of travel restrictions being reintroduced.

inOban
17th Nov 2021, 22:39
But even if ScoGov does tighten restrictions, they will be less severe than apply in many countries in the EU. It's England that's out of step.

nef
21st Nov 2021, 10:37
​​​Well said - The reality is that the increased measures being talked about by the Scottish government are an extension of the vaccine passport scheme to a level that is already in place in many European countries - and far short of the much greater restrictions we're seeing in the likes of Ireland, the Netherlands, Austria and many other countries around the world.

The reality is that in Scotland, as in the rest of the UK and across the world, for all governments (no matter what the political makeup), public health - and preventing people dying - is the number one priority and far outweighs how many passengers may or may not pass through a particular airport. Whilst it's of course disappointing and hurts business and employment in certain industries, it's nevertheless a fact of life in our times and most sensible people understand this. No government anywhere is introducing lockdowns and restrictions for fun!

It's quite noticeable here and elsewhere some people seem to want to operate on the presumption that every instance where the ScotGov take a decision or course of action on COVID, it is automatically wrong and the UK government is always right. This is a highly one-eyed taking way of taking things and I'd suggest there are multiple pieces of evidence that would potentially point to such assertions probably not being correct. I'm not for a minute saying their always right, but just that it's likely they're not always wrong either!

It would appear that the EDI-Dubai route is gone for good. Was officially “suspended”. With Newcastle set to go double daily, their appears to be little chance of a resumption.

This is a interview with Emirates UK divisional VP, published only a couple of weeks ago: https://netimesmagazine.co.uk/magazine/editorial/taking-off-again/

In it he clearly states that their NCL service is currently at 4x weekly and the plan is to get it back up to daily:

Prior to COVID-19, we had a daily Dubai service and that is what we expect to get back to.​​​​

I’d expect all of that will help us build back to a daily flight from Newcastle.

There is no mention of double daily and as such the claims of it going double daily appear to questionable..

Also wrt DXB, a point that is being ignored here is that the travel restrictions into Australia and NZ are much greater than anything that's in force in Scotland and the rest in the UK. Aus/NZ are two of the top - if not the top - connecting destinations for pax on on EK flights from Scotland and as such an objective assessment would suggest it's likely that these restrictions are actually what's having far more of an effect on EK numbers than any potential vaccine passport system to get into pubs in Scotland! Indeed, the interview with Emirates UK divisional VP alludes to exactly that:

Some overseas markets remain difficult to access. Australia and New Zealand were historically two important markets out of Newcastle, for example, but are difficult to get into at present. However, they are expected to open soon, and demand will increase.

Wrt westjet, they have a significantly bigger flying programme planned from GLA for S22, so if it's Scottish COVID restrictions which are to blame, then why are these flights still bookable? Similarly, as already mentioned, Ireland has much tougher restrictions currently than anything being proposed for Scotland, but DUB flights are still on sale.

Indeed, a few minutes research shows that the current level of restrictions in Toronto is greater than we currently have in Scotland! An extension of the vaccine passport scheme in Scotland as is being discussed would only take us to roundabout the same level as exists in Toronto currently!

https://www.toronto.ca/home/covid-19/covid-19-how-you-can-help/covid-19-orders-directives-by-laws/
​​​https://www.thestar.com/amp/politics/provincial/2021/11/10/ontario-pauses-relaxation-of-covid-19-restrictions-as-new-cases-surge.html

In light of the above, I'd suggest it's questionable and overly simplistic to attempt to blame any issues westjet may have at EDI solely on ScotGov's COVID policy. Airlines always look for excuses and I'd suggest just as large an issue is the very large planned transatlantic capacity planned from EDI in S22 - in peak summer I make it 6 flights per day to US hubs, plus MCO, plus daily AC, plus WJ. Iirc EDI-YYZ capacity is actually up a fair bit compared to S19 and that may well be a bit of a stretch potentially imo. Maybe, just maybe, there is too much transatlantic/Canada capacity in place for S22 and westjet might just be seeing disappointing bookings as a result......

SWBKCB
21st Nov 2021, 10:58
The reference to double daily EK into NCL stems from their recently reported slot application - not seen any mention anywhere else. But as we know, applying for slots and using them are two completely different things....

nef
21st Nov 2021, 11:16
Yes, if airlines operated everything they applied for slots for the aviation world would be a very different place!

The claim in the earlier post that EK NCL-DXB is "set" to go double daily is still highly questionable.

SWBKCB
21st Nov 2021, 11:53
In your opinion, which is as valid as Planeraz's - neither of you know. It's just as valid a point to say that airlines don't apply for additional slots for a bit of a laugh.

LiamNCL
21st Nov 2021, 16:02
EK taking EDI flight numbers for NCL was odd maybe not so odd if they are planning to consolodate NCL EDI flights into NCL double daily, still its wishful thinking when we havent gone back daily yet.

Jamesair1
21st Nov 2021, 17:08
The double daily, eventually, plan for NCL may have more to do with freight capacity which I understand is an important part of the NCL revenue. I did think that serving EDI was maybe splitting their own market. This could all be absolutely wrong, of course.

nef
21st Nov 2021, 19:44
LiamNCL

But NCL is more than double the distance from Edinburgh that GLA is (approx 120miles v 55miles), so I'm not sure how you consolidate the EDI flight into NCL, it doesn't make much sense to me. I guess it does for pax from the borders, but are there many city of Edinburgh pax using the NCL service? It would seem easier and more sensible for them to use the one at GLA.

Albert Hall
22nd Nov 2021, 06:23
On the basis that EK did indeed apply for slots at NCL for a second daily service, there must be some work ongoing to look at it. I can’t think of any airlines, let alone those of EK standing, who apply for slots to cover things they have no intention of doing !

If NCL get this, regardless of whether or not EK return to EDI, then good luck to them. I can’t see NCL being a substitute for EDI. Probably more like with no TK, QR at NCL, they have a captive share of a smaller market rather than a small share of a bigger one.

inOban
22nd Nov 2021, 08:10
Actually I believe quite a few pax at NCL have travelled from the east of Scotland, because of the much larger TUI and Jet2 operations there, and possibly a dislike of the M8 through Glasgow.

willy wombat
22nd Nov 2021, 09:06
I think a lot of people get far too exercised about initial slot applications. As the slot application process is transparent, the applications have to make sense. In this case it is quite possible that EK, naturally wanting to maximise its slot holding at DXB, just looked for somewhere to proport to add an extra flight simply to increase their DXB holding. I’m not saying that EK will or won’t add an extra NCL, only that you shouldn’t read too much into some slot applications.

tictack67
22nd Nov 2021, 09:12
I'm amazed that many think a double daily NCL somehow shows the demise of Edinburgh.

I've said before Edi has great long haul hub connectivity with FRA,HEL,IST,CDG,DOH,AMS,BRU

​​​​​even without LHR.

Plane mad 134
22nd Nov 2021, 17:10
The public slot report for DXB also shows that Emirates still hold slots for their daily EDI-DXB service too. Doesn't mean they will operate it, but they have the slots to do so.

Link Kilo
22nd Nov 2021, 17:38
I see that STN slot report for S22 shows a Ryanair UK service to EDI (and from STN to other destinations including ABZ).

Planeraz
23rd Nov 2021, 17:12
Wizz Air

Wizz have suspended all routes to/from EDI. Budapest scheduled to return 14/12 with Bucharest and Warsaw showing as 16/12. Given the situation in Eastern Europe, it wouldn’t be a surprise if the suspension rolls into 2022.

tictack67
23rd Nov 2021, 18:25
This was announced weeks ago

I had Waw booked on 4/12/21.

I doubt it's to do with Eastern Europe, more covid and UK economy sluggish

toledoashley
23rd Nov 2021, 18:42
And seemingly, a Wizz crew shortage.

Planeraz
23rd Nov 2021, 18:56
I had a Budapest departure for 7/12. I was informed this morning about the route suspension. Perhaps some passengers were informed prior to today, but clearly not all. The situation in Eastern Europe i referred to was in relation to covid.

tictack67
24th Nov 2021, 05:55
I don't think anyone would be surprised at Airlines suspending and cancelling during covid, with low bookings or restrictions changing.

There is a certain undertone in your previous posts which some have picked up on

Planeraz
7th Dec 2021, 19:03
Qatar using an A332 on tomorrow’s service. First time visitor to EDI for this type of Qatar aircraft? Seems a bit random. Slightly larger capacity compared to a 787. Around 30 more seats. Doubtful it would be to satisfy a sudden increased demand.

SWBKCB
7th Dec 2021, 19:23
Carries a lot more cargo? Gold, frankincense and myrrh?

Skipness One Foxtrot
7th Dec 2021, 19:41
Qatar have reactivated a few retired A330s which are flying without titles in some cases. This was due to them grounding a number of A350s and the fallout from that has caused mayhem in fleet planning. Basically anything can turn up on the day!

tictack67
8th Dec 2021, 04:11
Qatar using an A332 on tomorrow’s service. First time visitor to EDI for this type of Qatar aircraft? Seems a bit random. Slightly larger capacity compared to a 787. Around 30 more seats. Doubtful it would be to satisfy a sudden increased demand.

Airline uses an aircraft with 30 more seats a few weeks before Xmas and you think what, it's random?

​​​​​​On a more factual note. A good few days for Edinburgh, with 5 new/resuming routes. Bari, Valencia, Poitiers and Santiago from Ryanair, and Dalaman from Turkish Airlines.

Increase in Cork to 12 a week in '22 and Shannon to 3 with FR

chaps1954
8th Dec 2021, 06:46
Using the A330 is indeed random as they should be on their way out.

wanna
8th Dec 2021, 07:39
Using the A330 is indeed random as they should be on their way out.

Its been fairly well publicised that Qatar have had to retain some airframes due to the A350 issues. Maybe the 787 has been re deployed on primary routes with the older airframes on secondary routes such as EDI.

chaps1954
8th Dec 2021, 08:10
At Present Manchester is getting a real mixed bag of B788/9s A350 and B773 and I think we have had an A330 from memory

Link Kilo
9th Dec 2021, 12:28
Looks like PHL could be dropped by AA in S22 due to 787 delivery delays:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/american-airlines-to-reduce-international-flights-due-to-boeing-dreamliner-delays-11639054802

Planeraz
9th Dec 2021, 20:41
Confirmed. AA dropping Edinburgh. Hugely disappointing. Delivery delay of some aircraft is a genuine headache for airlines. I suspect had forward bookings been robust and looking good, American would have found a way to operate EDI-PHL in some way, even if it were at a reduced frequency.

https://news.aa.com/news/news-details/2021/Connecting-Customers-to-the-Middle-East-and-Beyond-American-Airlines-Announces-Service-to-Doha-Qatar-NET-ALP-12/default.aspx

A350Saltire
10th Dec 2021, 13:22
Confirmed. AA dropping Edinburgh. Hugely disappointing. Delivery delay of some aircraft is a genuine headache for airlines. I suspect had forward bookings been robust and looking good, American would have found a way to operate EDI-PHL in some way, even if it were at a reduced frequency.

https://news.aa.com/news/news-details/2021/Connecting-Customers-to-the-Middle-East-and-Beyond-American-Airlines-Announces-Service-to-Doha-Qatar-NET-ALP-12/default.aspx

They make it sound as though it’s just not operating in 2022. There is a chance it could be back in 2023.

Link Kilo
10th Dec 2021, 14:01
They make it sound as though it’s just not operating in 2022. There is a chance it could be back in 2023.

It's hard to know. The memo implies they could return ("We will no longer serve Edinburgh, Scotland; Shannon, Ireland; or Hong Kong. We'll continue to evaluate these routes as more aircraft become available and would like to be able to serve them again in the future"), but this article (https://www.scotsman.com/news/transport/resumption-of-american-airlines-edinburgh-philadelphia-flights-postponed-by-new-aircraft-delays-3489300) states "We thank team members who served our customers in Edinburgh and Shannon and are working closely with them during this transition" which is the kind of thing you'd say when you're getting rid of staff.

I could see them returning when they have enough A321XLRs, which may be summer 2024. Once they have them though, and if the route is reinstated, there might be a reasonable chance of the route operating year-round, even if not daily in winter. It would be reasonable to think that there would be enough One World fliers to and from the EDI catchment that could form a reasonable foundation for a year-round route to a US One World hub.

VickersVicount
10th Dec 2021, 15:39
had forward bookings been robust and looking good, American would have found a way to operate EDI-PHL
Yes would be interesting to know out of all their many routes the thinking behind which routes have been culled. DBV was always a bit of a longshot marginal I felt and 787s seemed very ambitious even before covid. Otherwise these routes would already have been on eg 763’s

Planeraz
6th Jan 2022, 17:04
Qatar S22

Qatar starting to amend schedules. EDI-DOH showing as returning to daily from 1st June. Mixture of 787-8 and 787-9. Subject to change of course but if confirmed, would be a welcome boost for EDI. They also appear to be reinstating service from Birmingham and Cardiff.

CabinCrewe
6th Jan 2022, 17:22
Qatar S22

Qatar starting to amend schedules. EDI-DOH showing as returning to daily from 1st June. Mixture of 787-8 and 787-9. Subject to change of course but if confirmed, would be a welcome boost for EDI. They also appear to be reinstating service from Birmingham and Cardiff.
Where have the A350’s gone? (barring the paint issue!)
Much prefer the A350 service.

Planeraz
6th Jan 2022, 17:49
I assume in short term, Qatar will continue to have limited number operational A359’s. The ones they do have available will be used on primary - high yield routes. As we know, everything can change at short notice. If bookIngs do surge as a result of the relaxation of testing regs, Qatar may increase EDI capacity further. They’ll certainly be very keen to keep Emirates away from a return to EDI.

inOban
6th Jan 2022, 21:22
Isn't that a further delay to the return of a daily service ? I thought that when I last checked it was daily from the clock change, but I may be wrong.

Planeraz
6th Jan 2022, 21:52
Isn't that a further delay to the return of a daily service ? I thought that when I last checked it was daily from the clock change, but I may be wrong.

You may be correct. Qatar, like most airlines have made numerous changes to schedules reacting to the ever evolving covid situation. The decision of the UK Gov to relax testing regs must have had an impact on their forward planning. The reported (yet to be confirmed) reinstatement of service from Birmingham and particularly Cardiff is perhaps another sign that Qatar have increasing confidence in the UK market rebounding. In my opinion, Australia opening up in the short to medium term is key. What’s not in doubt is Qatar’s commitment to Edinburgh. Other than for a short period, they have maintained a service from EDI throughout the pandemic. EDI I’m sure will have pulled out all the stops to retain this legacy airline.

SWBKCB
6th Jan 2022, 22:06
Qatar are a legacy airline now? Blimey! :eek:

Albert Hall
6th Jan 2022, 22:23
They must be feeling particularly confident if they are reinstating Cardiff.

CabinCrewe
13th Jan 2022, 21:58
A colleague was on one of the second week of VS BGI service and said there was less than 50 people on it outbound… VS must be haemorrhaging even more money on that particular route. Why did they not suspend it for a good while and maybe try again?

Planeraz
13th Jan 2022, 23:09
A fair point and is surprising that the route (for now) continues to operate. Having said this, the VS operated BGI service is only winter seasonal and is relatively short. They haven’t operated twice weekly every week as they advertised prior to route starting. They did drop some dates. I don’t think anyone would be surprised to learn that EDI will have dangled a carrot to prise VS from Glasgow. DL who own VS from a strategic and commercial point of view clearly see EDI as a bigger and more established market. VS will certainly hope to offset any loses from this route with the expectation that the MCO route performs strongly. The forward bookings for MCO, particularly at the popular school holiday dates appear to be very promising. The inbound services from the US to EDI appear to be solidly booked throughout, especially in the premium cabins. In the bigger picture however, VS do strange things at random times. Until recently, they had a substantial presence at Manchester. They have slashed this recently and appear to be concentrating heavily again on LHR. Who knows if they will stick with EDI in the medium to long term.

Skipness One Foxtrot
14th Jan 2022, 00:04
DL who own VS from a strategic and commercial point of view clearly see EDI as a bigger and more established market. VS will certainly hope to offset any loses from this route with the expectation that the MCO route performs strongly. The forward bookings for MCO, particularly at the popular school holiday dates appear to be very promising. The inbound services from the US to EDI appear to be solidly booked throughout, especially in the premium cabins. In the bigger picture however, VS do strange things at random times. Until recently, they had a substantial presence at Manchester. They have slashed this recently and appear to be concentrating heavily again on LHR. Who knows if they will stick with EDI in the medium to long term.
Delta neither own nor control VS, they have a say but they're not in control. The move from GLA to EDI says more about GLA being harder to get to than before even with the M74 as well as EDI discounting to win the business. The retirement of the B744 also made EDI an option, the relative strength of EDI is being a bigger draw in the US-Scotland market than GLA, and you'll note BGI is almost 100% UK originating. The House of Mouse used to be overwhelmingly UK originating but I understand Delta now feed US outbound traffic via MCO so the move to EDI may make more sense. MAN still has BGI/ATL/JFK/MCO/ISB with LAS/BOS/west coast suspended. They closed LGW and retrenched to LHR to survive but we haven't seen a post COVID market yet, that should be interesting.

tartan 201
14th Jan 2022, 08:32
They haven’t operated twice weekly every week as they advertised prior to route starting. They did drop some dates.

Can you advise which dates they didn't operate on please? To the best of my knowledge, only one flight has been cancelled (Sunday 9/1 EDI>BGI) which I have seen reported as due to an ill crew member.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1170x382/image_db8392316d4573c81f0b44ccd3d2695af84ddf67.png

Planeraz
20th Jan 2022, 16:53
Virgin reported to be dropping Barbados route from 16th February. It may return winter 22.

CabinCrewe
20th Jan 2022, 17:42
oooft! that didn’t last long. In fairness was a bad time to launch (who’s idea was that?) and the wrong aircraft. I saw zero advertising and cruises will be in doldrums for months. Will be interesting to see if they chuck money at it again. Perhaps a EDI-MAN-BGI double drop?

bycrewlgw
21st Jan 2022, 06:17
Can you advise which dates they didn't operate on please? To the best of my knowledge, only one flight has been cancelled (Sunday 9/1 EDI>BGI) which I have seen reported as due to an ill crew member.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1170x382/image_db8392316d4573c81f0b44ccd3d2695af84ddf67.png

hi Tartan. What site is that taken from please? Cheers

tartan 201
21st Jan 2022, 06:43
hi Tartan. What site is that taken from please? Cheers

https://uk.flightaware.com/live/flight/VIR223/history

Planeraz
27th Jan 2022, 10:22
Delta S22

Delta appear to adjusting summer schedules. EDI-JFK now down to 5 x weekly from resumption date for entire season. The newer version cabin on 763 offering premium select is available from 30th October 2022. Boston frequency appears to be unchanged for now. Further changes highly probable I should imagine.

A350Saltire
29th Jan 2022, 12:10
Nice to see VS returning with the route to BGI in winter this year.

Flights start on 12th December 2022 and run until mid-April 2023 on Mondays and Thursdays using the A333.

I am hearing that their EDI-MCO route this summer has been selling pretty well despite all of the restrictions etc which obviously are now being scaled back.

tictack67
9th Feb 2022, 09:08
Delta to JFK and BOS
Delta have now announced an increase to all of their transatlantic services, including Edinburgh Airport.
JFK and Boston going daily on B767 each
Timings suggest BOS Inbound aircraft will operate outbound JFK and vice versa

Planeraz
9th Feb 2022, 12:56
Great news. Let’s hope this encourages a sustained recovery for EDI and the travel sector more generally. Will be nice to see United and Delta planes lined up next to each other in the weeks ahead. In relation to restrictions and with Australia finally relaxing some of theirs, it will hopefully provide a boost for Qatar who rely heavily on transfer pax.

Planeraz
10th Feb 2022, 10:34
Flyr

New route

EDI - OSLO Gardemoen

2 x weekly from April increasing to 3 x weekly from June. 3 carriers now scheduled to operate same route this spring/summer. Direct competition with Norwegian and SAS.