PDA

View Full Version : End of support for Adobe Flash.

Loose rivets
29th Nov 2020, 02:30
Erased to facilitate CJ's search for his issues.

I may have cut and paste some comment about the end of Ado be Fl ash.

Cornish Jack
29th Nov 2020, 09:20
Is it why I occasionally see a blank screen while others clearly are able to see something.
SNAP ! - I have the same problem, as indicated on the 'Pooter' forum, but no remedies suggested. It started when I downloaded and installed a Beeb iPlayer suggested work-around for the loss of Flash. The majority of linked videos appear as blank black rectangles. No problems with Youtube and suchlike.

kenparry
30th Nov 2020, 16:07
Some suggestions here:

3 Adobe Flash alternatives as it's finally declared obsolete by end of 2020 (besttechie.com) (https://www.besttechie.com/adobe-flash-alternatives/)

I have not yet tried any.

Loose rivets
30th Nov 2020, 21:55
Gosh. I hate when I can't put things on a roundto pile.

Whatever you choose to do about your Flash content, do something. Obsolescence, in this case, doesn’t just mean that Adobe is going to stop supporting the software and allow it to age out – it’s going to become blocked. Websites will simply refuse to load pages that have Flash content on them, and every time a new version of a browser is released, it will become one step further away from supporting Flash. The clock is ticking rapidly, and the end is coming. Flash has had an incredible run, but it’s reached the finish line, and it’s time for it to enjoy a well-earned retirement. We cannot stress these points enough!

Cornish Jack
2nd Dec 2020, 09:24
WTH is happening?????
I clicked on this thread and IMMEDIATELY got a video 'pop-up' of condensed news items with an undecipherable logo in the top RH corner! The content has not been previously selected elsewhere, so where did it come from? It's much too early in the day to cope with this so it's 'hit the restore button' and return later.
Exit left, mumbling and grumbling , ... pursued by bears!

Cornish Jack
2nd Dec 2020, 11:07
The bears didn't catch me and a limited restore completed (couldn't go back as far as I wanted) - clicked here again and ... same thing!! Back to menu and return - no repeat.:confused:

Cornish Jack
2nd Dec 2020, 12:53
...and now it's back again. Rolling clips of adverts and news items with what looks like 'BangShowBiz and 'clips...' something. I have no idea what this is and most certainly don't want it:mad: :mad:
Anyone any clues, please?

Prop swinger
2nd Dec 2020, 16:00
For starters, stop using Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP. Once you've got a modern os with a modern browser installed open the browser, go to its settings and select the option to disable all pop ups. If the browser doesn't have that option you're using the wrong browser. If there's an option to disable video autoplay select that too. Uninstall Adobe Flash from the os, absolutely no reason to use it these days.

Cornish Jack
3rd Dec 2020, 17:13
Thank you, Prop swinger - I'll give it a whirl and report back - not Int Ex, I use Firefox.

Prop swinger
3rd Dec 2020, 17:56
OK, options > privacy & security > permissions, there's a block pop-ups check box & block audio & video option in autoplay settings.

Cornish Jack
4th Dec 2020, 09:05
Done, as suggested and ... still this bloody video pop-up on this thread ONLY.

Prop swinger
4th Dec 2020, 09:58
Try https://adblockplus.org/

Loose rivets
4th Dec 2020, 23:20
There's one option open to me, the OP, since I'm wondering what I could have done - though there were zero links. I could zap this thread and come back for a discussion on CJ's issue.

For now, I'll just erase the entire block of print.

What think you all?

Prop swinger
5th Dec 2020, 06:26
Pretty sure your original question was answered by kenparry in the 3rd post, specifically the HTML 5 solution. Any modern browser will be able to play media files without any help from Adobe Flash, no modern website will serve up Flash media any more. YouTube stopped using Flash years ago, I see the BBC is just getting round to dropping it (https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/questions/computer-issues/flash). Their solution is to use a modern browser (https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/questions/supported-devices/supported-browsers-os). I uninstalled Flash years ago & have not missed it at all.

Cornish Jack
5th Dec 2020, 11:30
Thank you very much, LR - much appreciated but, unfortunately, in vain. I have totally deleted Flash from the 'pooter and done a complete reboot. logged back in and clicked on this thread and instant bloody advert video. The really odd thing is that it only happens on this one thread ! Nothing else in the forum provokes it , nor do any other forums.
I shall leave this thread severely alone and check if the Adobe deletion has enabled other videos. I'll have to open another thread to update.

WB627
5th Dec 2020, 17:51
Windows XP, it's like the first wife we divorced but are still in love with because its the best thing we ever had, you have to move on. I had a lot of fun with Windows 7, but eventually had to file for divorce again. Windows 10 and Chrome for the browser, it gets better as time goes by.

Posted this elsewhere....

I deleted Adobe Flash on their recommendation then immediately realised that it might have not been the best thing to do. However, I have not had any problems with anything since doing so, but I do use Chrome as my browser. I went to Chrome from Edge a little while ago, when ADSB Exchange up graded and would not run on my PC (Edge) but was fine on my android phone using Chrome. It is a decision I have not regretted and even though Edge has been updated to work like Chrome and now runs ADSB, I am sticking with Chrome.

Loose rivets
5th Dec 2020, 22:44
Just read why Chrome was a tongue in cheek name for the browser. Makes it sound very sensible.