PDA

View Full Version : caa eye tests

telboy.com
17th Aug 2002, 23:58
Hi I just wanted to ask what the eye tests involve for the JAA initial at gatwick coz my optician says i am within the -5 limits with no other probs, but i keep hearing how detailed these caa tests are and am worried that they will find something a high street optometrist don't look for. Is there anywhere else I can go for a thorough eye test before I part with £400?

Many Thanks
Terry

TheFlyingDJ
19th Aug 2002, 10:07
Hi i had my initial in holland last week and it is a bigger search than normal.
but for your visibility the test is exactely the same as with an normal eye optrimist. read certain figures at a plate trough a big lens with different sequences.
- other tings are a colorblind test with ishihara cards:mad:
- a investigation for you eyesight. (look into a big circel with dots all over it. When a dot colors green you press a button).
- eyepressure(they blow a liitle bit of air into your eye(nothing special)
- he is going to watch with a light into your eye and you must follow his finger at different distances.
thats all i had!

good luck

sorry its optomotrist:D :D

foghorn
19th Aug 2002, 11:57
The CAA website has a detailed section on the CAA's eye tests for exactly this reason - to save you the £400 if you're likely to fail.

Go to the site: www.caa.co.uk, medical section, download, print and get your own optician/optometrist (or whatever they're called these days) to check before you go.

From memory of my initial class one three years ago it consists of the following (I'm no expert btw):

Standard distance vision test (read the letters on the wall).
Standard near-vision test (read the text at various distances).
Muscle balance test (where does the line appear on the scale).
Ishihara colour blindness test (hint: the dots form numbers not rude pictures:D).
Visual fields test (end of pencil or finger tip initially, with the machine if optometrist not happy)
Intraocular pressure test (air-jet)

good luck.

cheers!
foggy.