PDA

View Full Version : Kindle V iPad

AARON O'DICKYDIDO
23rd Nov 2020, 15:36
My Kindle Fire is on its last legs. I can't remember exactly how old it is but it is the first Kindle Fire edition.
Apart from cost is there any real advantage of buying a new Kindle rather than buying an iPad? - I am able to buy and read books on an iPad using the Kindle App and using the web will be a million times better experience. Also there is the fact that there is many more Apps that can be downloaded from the iPad.

Aaron.

Ancient Observer
23rd Nov 2020, 17:06
My Kindle was fine, with a BUT. The but was that I preferred real books.
Then we got lockdown. So I became much more used to reading off the ipad. Daily Times read now on Ipad.
Now use a free electronic library for books. All on the ipad.

So I can vouch for the Ipad, which is in more or less constant use.

AARON O'DICKYDIDO
24th Nov 2020, 09:44
Ancient Observer - Thanks for that.

Aaron.

Ancient Observer
24th Nov 2020, 12:47
Using my 2014 Ipad air all day has one drawback - it uses the battery! So it is often on charge. Apple new ones cost lots, so I will hang on to it until it dies. Books/Internet/BBC and The Times do get read well!!

My Kindle seldom needed charging.

AARON O'DICKYDIDO
25th Nov 2020, 08:20
[QUOTEMy Kindle seldom needed charging.[/QUOTE]

I am having to charge my kindle after almost every use! (This is its second battery). This morning I had to do a re-boot to get it going! I think an iPad is looking on the cards once I can get out and about.

Thanks again.

Aaron.

Ancient Observer
3rd Dec 2020, 15:46
So what did you do?

AARON O'DICKYDIDO
4th Dec 2020, 11:55
I am still considering it. I am swaying towards iPad but would like to talk to an Apple Rep in shop first. I have not been able to get into Cambridge yet. The reasons for leaning towards iPad as preference is that I have already sold my soul to Apple with iPhone and iMac (Both of which have been very pleased with). On the iPad there are many more Apps available to me and my music is able to be played on all devices. I know there is a great difference in the price of these items but an iPad would last for a long time (I hope) so spread that cost and it's not too bad. The Kindle I would have gone for is the Fire HD 10, 64 GB @£179 and the iPad I am considering is the iPad Air 256 GB @ from £729.

Aaron .

Ancient Observer
4th Dec 2020, 16:45
For what it is worth, SWMBO had a very early ipad. It was slower than watching Dulux dry.
So..................We bought a new Ipad air 256..
Excellent choice - BUT we now know that we just do not need 256Gb. Had we known we would have been mean and bought a 64. As they charge so much for a few extra GB, I would suggest careful thought. Do you need it?

terrain safe
4th Dec 2020, 19:10
Just bought an iPad pro 11 with 128GB from the big river for £706. Very pleased with it. Thought about the Air but at about the same price the Pro won.

AARON O'DICKYDIDO
5th Dec 2020, 11:01
terrain safe

I have an iPad Pro 11' but it is too big to carry when travelling and reading a book in bed is almost impossible! I agree it is a nice piece of kit though. I can never decide if 128GB is big enough even allowing for the cloud.

Aaron.

Jhieminga
5th Dec 2020, 20:01
I would certainly recommend getting an iPad as I'm big fan of Apple products. Although if it's just for reading books, an e-reader is more comfortable to use in my view. Less strain on my eyes when used for reading. I'm surprised at the memory in the new Kindle, 64GB? I've got over 700 books stored on my e-reader, only 4 GB of memory in that.

AARON O'DICKYDIDO
6th Dec 2020, 10:01
Thanks for that input. It will not be just for reading. At the moment I use the 11" iPad pro for all sorts when travelling but it can be a bit cumbersome at times. I am still swaying towards the iPad.

Aaron.

Helol
6th Dec 2020, 10:11
I have the Kindle, and also an ipad mini. The kindle app on the ipad mini beats it hands down, and the Kindle is sat gathering dust now! I actually prefer reading the Kindle app on the ipad.

The ipad mini is a fantastic size - think they got it just right - and it goes everywhere with me, as it's small enough to carry around, and big enough to read books/newspapers, etc.

Forgot to say, I went for the wifi + cellular, simply because I take it with me down to SA/Eswatini and its just easier to buy a sim card, that way I can use it (mostly) anytime/anyplace/anywhere, as the (Martini) advert says.

papabravowhiskey
6th Dec 2020, 10:23
Thanks for that input. It will not be just for reading. At the moment I use the 11" iPad pro for all sorts when travelling but it can be a bit cumbersome at times. I am still swaying towards the iPad.

Aaron.
Having had an expensive Samsung tablet that only ever received one Android update before support ended, leaving me with a very insecure browsing/email device, and a Google Nexus tablet that fared only a little better, I have now bitten the bullet and purchased a new (ordinary) iPad. I went for the 128 GB in case I put maps etc on it, and WiFi-only because if I need mobile data, I will use a mobile phone as a hotspot.

AARON O'DICKYDIDO
6th Dec 2020, 10:53
Thanks for that peoples. It gives me more to think about. - Which was the purpose of the post to begin with.

Aaron.

Out Of Trim
7th Dec 2020, 17:51
I have a new iPad Air 256 GB replacing a very old iPad 3. Wow, is it fast! I'm really pleased with it so far. But, I'm still using my old iPad for reading kindle books.

Less Hair
7th Dec 2020, 18:53
I know it is not exactly what you asked for, but I would get a new MacBook Air instead of the iPad. Long battery life, integrated keyboard and a some fully usable computer while "as easy" to carry. Had an iPad myself but prefer a small laptop finally. But: no touch screen.

NutLoose
7th Dec 2020, 22:52
I use an iPad 7th generation which is a 10.2 screen, fantastic bit of kit, good battery life etc, it replaced an iPad 2 that had recently started to slow down. In fact I browse the web on it from the comfort of the sofa, which I am doing now, I even watch Netflix on it sometimes.

AARON O'DICKYDIDO
23rd Dec 2020, 09:39
Well folks, I have at last made a decision. I have purchased an iPad mini. It is still in transit but hopefully it will arrive before Christmas Day.
Thanks to all for their input.

Aaron.

AARON O'DICKYDIDO
3rd Jan 2021, 10:07
Just to let you know that I am now the proud owner of the I Pad Min 5. I think it is great. Especially with the pencil which I find really handy when filling in details on forms etc. I took a while to get used to the pencil but now I can just about use it.
Thanks for all your comments.

Aaron..

Helol
3rd Jan 2021, 11:06
Just to let you know that I am now the proud owner of the I Pad Min 5. I think it is great. Especially with the pencil which I find really handy when filling in details on forms etc. I took a while to get used to the pencil but now I can just about use it.
Thanks for all your comments..

Excellent choice! The ipad mini is a fantastic size, I love mine. Haven't got the pencil thus far, it's on my list of 'stuff' to buy.