PDA

View Full Version : Tornados

MightyGem
23rd Nov 2020, 10:40
Probably a few on here in this photo. Wonder if they are all "S"?
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/526x537/126619354_10159072085461983_5710374614506899975_n_9126830c09 de5d5c40eeb678f7731488c6693171.jpg

zetec2
23rd Nov 2020, 10:54
So where are all the groundcrew that made this happen & kept those steely eyed killers in the air, seems awfully unbalanced ?.

chevvron
23rd Nov 2020, 10:56
So where are all the groundcrew that made this happen & kept those steely eyed killers in the air, seems awfully unbalanced ?.
On rest days after doing all that overtime to get them 'S'.:oh:

old,not bold
23rd Nov 2020, 11:41
Just curious; where, when, and - most important - why?

(Are they just stuck there, impotently immobile, on account of the ground crew are all in the nearest pub?)

NutLoose
23rd Nov 2020, 11:49
Bet they're all pilots too...the Navs are probably sitting on an airfield miles away wondering where everyone is..

Bob Viking
23rd Nov 2020, 12:07
It never fails to disappoint.

Even when someone posts an old photo, to satisfy the usual reminiscences, the first few comments bring complaints and whinges.

Maybe just say “wow, cool photo!”. If if you can’t bring yourself to say that maybe say nothing at all.

I think we all know the aircrew didn’t fix the jets and tow them out there themselves. I also think we know what you’re getting at with the ground crew comments. Could you imagine though trying to corral an extra 1000 engineers into the photo?

It doesn’t bear thinking about.

BV

OldLurker
23rd Nov 2020, 12:18
Just curious; where, when, and - most important - why?Caption: Squadron of British Royal Air Force Tornado aircraft and crews seen at RAF Bruggen in Germany in March 1987.
Photographed by Terry Fincher - Copyright © The Fincher Files 2013
Doesn't say why!
https://thefincherfiles.photoshelter.com/image/I0000k4vBZtjHi2Y

OldLurker
23rd Nov 2020, 12:29
I count 36 aircraft in the photo. Would that have been only one squadron? How many aircrew, and how many ground crew, would have been dedicated to that number of aircraft?

Buster15
23rd Nov 2020, 12:31
Yes they required a relatively high maintenance man hours to keep them serviceable. Hardly surprising given when they were being designed and developed.
And of course, Tornado was easily the most advanced and complex fast jet of its age.
But at that time, MMH was not a big issue and in fact was not part of the certification requirements (unlike Typhoon).
The main requirement was mission capability. And in that they performed extremely well over the changing requirements during their life cycle.

212man
23rd Nov 2020, 12:32
Caption: Squadron of British Royal Air Force Tornado aircraft and crews seen at RAF Bruggen in Germany in March 1987.
Photographed by Terry Fincher - Copyright © The Fincher Files 2013
Doesn't say why!
https://thefincherfiles.photoshelter.com/image/I0000k4vBZtjHi2Y
Must be about three squadrons, surely? 45+ aircraft

Fareastdriver
23rd Nov 2020, 12:46
I counted 35 aircraft so at twelve per squadron that would represent the four squadrons that Bruggen had. About one hundred heads on parade would be the aircrew.

Peter G-W
23rd Nov 2020, 13:11
For the historians and aero-modellers, the photo has been reversed.

claron
23rd Nov 2020, 13:31
RAF Bruggen Wing. 9 Sqn. 14 Sqn. 17 Sqn. 31 Sqn.

zetec2
23rd Nov 2020, 14:08
LOL that's the best one.

zetec2
23rd Nov 2020, 14:17
Obviously someone doesn't have a sense of humour ?

quote:
It never fails to disappoint.
Even when someone posts an old photo, to satisfy the usual reminiscences, the first few comments bring complaints and whinges.
Maybe just say “wow, cool photo!”. If if you can’t bring yourself to say that maybe say nothing at all.
I think we all know the aircrew didn’t fix the jets and tow them out there themselves. I also think we know what you’re getting at with the ground crew comments. Could you imagine though trying to corral an extra 1000 engineers into the photo?
It doesn’t bear thinking about.
unquote.

I thought a simple question having been at the sharp end sorting aircraft out many times for photo ops like this so the Rodney's could have their moments of glory, getting them there moderately easy, getting them away back home not always as easy, maybe the above author has not been up the front to achieve as shown ?

BVj

Bob Viking
23rd Nov 2020, 14:28
For a start there would have been half as many aircrew if that picture would have been of my previous aircraft.

As for sense of humour, I guess it’s all subjective.

BV

PS. Since you asked I’m in this photo somewhere. Can’t remember which one.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/640x466/84f31485_68fa_43af_b60d_a4716c5e03a7_8d6d8ceecb6015ec1b598e7 8a234e5f4e3c3f70d.jpeg

Tigger_Too
23rd Nov 2020, 14:58
Probably a few on here in this photo. Wonder if they are all "S"?

There was one less a couple of weeks later. Sorry Boss!

Easy Street
23rd Nov 2020, 15:00
According to a techie friend who was involved with that Bruggen photo, not only were the jets not all serviceable, there were some down the back that didn't even have a full complement of engines or panels!

As for the lack of groundcrew representation in group photos, as a junior pilot I was once tasked to corral the sqn aircrew for a photo and went to Rects Control to arrange a suitable backdrop. A smartarse corporal made the 'what about the techies who fix 'em then sir?' comment, probably expecting a chuckle from the chief; what he got was the chief pointing to the engineers' group photos behind Rects with a sharp "There's no aircrew who fly 'em in those, now bugger off". Couldn't have put it better!

sycamore
23rd Nov 2020, 15:26
Back in the days before BV was BV,we had lots of groundcrew, men who wore long shorts,or even short longs,to care for our war-weary windswept Whirlwind at the Far end of Empire........

NickB
23rd Nov 2020, 16:14
In the original picture, the Station Commander was (IIRC) Group Captain (or possibly Air Commodore?) John Houghton.

Not long after that pic was published I was lucky enough to get an ATC camp place at RAF Bruggen in Jul 87 and the Staish attended our BBQ evening. Spent the week assisting 17 Sqn in recovering the Tonkas back into the HAS - exciting stuff for a 15 year old! One clear memory is the mainwheels of the Tonkas after landing seemed hotter than the sun!

Cornish Jack
23rd Nov 2020, 17:02
Sycamore - I suspect that when your piccy was taken, the 'Tonkas' were still referred to as 'Multi Racial Cost Accumulaters' ;)

zetec2
23rd Nov 2020, 17:08
Sycamore, ok Brian where are you ?.

averow
23rd Nov 2020, 17:51
This is a great picture ! Any thoughts on when this might have been taken ?

Cat Techie
23rd Nov 2020, 18:41

Bruggen in Germany. I was a mile away in the bar. Sure the photo was taken on a Saturday.

Stuart Sutcliffe
23rd Nov 2020, 18:47
Post #7 quite clearly states "March 1987". It often helps if you read a thread before asking questions? :p

Cat Techie
23rd Nov 2020, 18:48
For a start there would have been half as many aircrew if that picture would have been of my previous aircraft.

BV

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/640x466/84f31485_68fa_43af_b60d_a4716c5e03a7_8d6d8ceecb6015ec1b598e7 8a234e5f4e3c3f70d.jpeg
You were number 4 in the picture. Daubs is out of shot. TC, Jim and Chris in front of you. I was on the hill the piccie was taken (Babs took it). Didn't you set off an LSJ that day as well?

Cat Techie
23rd Nov 2020, 18:50
Post #7 quite clearly states "March 1987". It often helps if you read a thread before asking questions? :p
Bruggen in the weeks before was an ice block.

Wyntor
23rd Nov 2020, 19:14
I thought something was odd - the picture is flipped. Boz 107 and Skyshadow on wrong stations. Sqn commanders in wrong order. I knew where I was standing and I've swapped wings. :-)

Sky Sports
23rd Nov 2020, 19:26
Interesting to note that they are using a picture of an RAF Tornado to promote next years Cosford airshow! I suppose there's just as much chance of one of them turning up as anything else in the current inventory!

sycamore
23rd Nov 2020, 19:28
CJ , it was still `Must refurbish Canberras again` time,and the Jag was still on some French notepaper....
Nav.mentioned below was JC of Chivenor fame.....

z2, TRY YOUR OTHER GLASSES...!
A tactical Squadron of 16 Fg/Offs, 3 Flt/lts( 1 Nav+1 QHI) and 1 Sqdn.ldr(Boss)...some on leave/r&r ,and 16 aircraft,even the Eng.O was an F/O....I think I had just been promoted to F/O recently....

`393` was a `gunship as well as it could carry 4x SS11 missiles,+2 Bren guns,+whatever you could carry in the cockpit....

Tornados are Whirlwinds ,but we could swing our wings right around.....

Cat Techie
23rd Nov 2020, 20:01
Interesting to note that they are using a picture of an RAF Tornado to promote next years Cosford airshow! I suppose there's just as much chance of one of them turning up as anything else in the current inventory!
A bit more modern that using the airframe with my name on it.

Odanrot
23rd Nov 2020, 20:15
I don’t post much and some of the comments here are probably part of the reason.
The photo, or a copy of it, hangs in my study as I’m in it and it is a Wing Photo of part of the RAFG Strike/Attack capability in 1987. The rest were the sqns at Larbruch and Gutersloh, as well all the U.K. based sqns of Buccs, Harriers, Jaguars and the AD sqns.
It”s the Bruggen Wing, correctly identified as IX, 14, 17 and 31 Sqns. There are 48 aircraft in the picture, 12 from each Sqn and they were towed there by very proud and conscientious ground crew not wingers who weren’t in it. At the time we were in the frontline of the Cold War and although cold in terms of bullets flying around we took it extremely seriously and as a result of our dedication and, for some, great sacrifices, we won, only to hand the World over to the people who created the current balls up. Some of those photographed didn’t return from what happened 4 years later and we remember them
Take the p..s all you like, just make sure that if it’s ever your turn you are up for it.

Cat Techie
23rd Nov 2020, 20:27
CJ , it was still `Must refurbish Canberras again` time,and the Jag was still on some French notepaper....
Nav.mentioned below was JC of Chivenor fame.....

z2, TRY YOUR OTHER GLASSES...!
A tactical Squadron of 16 Fg/Offs, 3 Flt/lts( 1 Nav+1 QHI) and 1 Sqdn.ldr(Boss)...some on leave/r&r ,and 16 aircraft,even the Eng.O was an F/O....I think I had just been promoted to F/O recently....

`393` was a `gunship as well as it could carry 4x SS11 missiles,+2 Bren guns,+whatever you could carry in the cockpit....

Tornados are Whirlwinds ,but we could swing our wings right around.....
ECAT was on the french notepaper whe we were still waiting for a TSR2 prototype to take off. I do question the remit of using spitfires to fight JSFs that a lot of threads seem to go. I have been out of the military for 11 years so certainly are not in touch with what is the truth.

OvertHawk
23rd Nov 2020, 20:40
I don’t post much and some of the comments here are probably part of the reason.
The photo, or a copy of it, hangs in my study as I’m in it and it is a Wing Photo of part of the RAFG Strike/Attack capability in 1987. The rest were the sqns at Larbruch and Gutersloh, as well all the U.K. based sqns of Buccs, Harriers, Jaguars and the AD sqns.
It”s the Bruggen Wing, correctly identified as IX, 14, 17 and 31 Sqns. There are 48 aircraft in the picture, 12 from each Sqn and they were towed there by very proud and conscientious ground crew not wingers who weren’t in it. At the time we were in the frontline of the Cold War and although cold in terms of bullets flying around we took it extremely seriously and as a result of our dedication and, for some, great sacrifices, we won, only to hand the World over to the people who created the current balls up. Some of those photographed didn’t return from what happened 4 years later and we remember them
Take the p..s all you like, just make sure that if it’s ever your turn you are up for it.

Well said Sir.

Dark Helmet
23rd Nov 2020, 20:42
... they were towed there by very proud and conscientious ground crew not wingers who weren’t in it.
As one of the many ground crew who were responsible for preparing and towing the 9 Sqn aircraft into position, I can say that I echo that sentiment. It was a fantastic achievement and one I feel happy to have been a part of. What a great picture!

Cat Techie
23rd Nov 2020, 21:55
Don't forget the war dodgers of 431 MU. We had to face the threat of PIRA like everyone else. And I will reinforce your point that this lot 4 years down the line were doing Hot Ops with hard work by aircrew and ground crew alike. Proper Ops with low level and the opposition that threw everything they had back. A lot of the old age pensioners on here have never had a SCUD or IDF come near them or heard one. Or seen fireworks come their way. Granby and Telic medals I wear.

Cornish Jack
23rd Nov 2020, 22:20
Sycamore - we 'Fling-wing' chaps shouldn't be intruding on 'swing-wing' territory but your mention of JC reminds me that I had to amend an appallingly inaccurate, - in fact, libellous version of JC and his fatal, which appeared in Wikipaedia. I don't know who the original author was, but to have published such a travesty is beyond belief. That really was something to get worked up about!

Cat Techie
23rd Nov 2020, 22:22
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1528x1064/hole_in_floor_370051608dfad2749e54b01c1abf601e95f4808f.jpg
One of the smaller holes in ZD483, The piece of metal that caused this missed the navigator by inches. The rest of the airframe was pebbledashed badly. Not as bad as its pair ZA403 that had to be abandonned and the crew face the brutality of Sadam. I repaired this hole BTW to get 843 back in the game. Sorry, do its job. I do not talk to all the servicemen that fly and fix. There is banter, but there are people that have not been in the game for a long time and never under the pressures that having hard metal being thrown at them. There are the other interlopers that are not military.. Wrong forum to inject gents.

Finningley Boy
23rd Nov 2020, 22:41
I count 36 aircraft in the photo. Would that have been only one squadron? How many aircrew, and how many ground crew, would have been dedicated to that number of aircraft?
I recall the photo, I believe it appeared in a Sunday Broadsheet, I had just arrived at Gatow. I believe the aim was to reflect on what was the then new face of the RAF, Bruggen and Laarbruch had just finished re-equipping with Tornado GR1s, four squadrons a piece and an establishment of 48 aircraft a piece. This would be the entire RAF frontline fast jet fleet today. Lightnings and Canberras were still operational then and Hunters were still on the active inventory, imbedded on Training Flights with the Buccaneer units. As the oft used refrain goes, that's when we had an air force!

FB

RAFEngO74to09
24th Nov 2020, 00:31

In that era, the Crew:Aircraft ratio was maintained at the NATO ACE Forces Standards "Excellent" level of 2:1 - so 24 pilots + 24 navs per 12-aircraft sqn - including all the execs.

The established groundcrew strength per 12-aircraft sqn + 3 x SE Fitt (that belonged to Arm Eng Flt) + 3 x Gen Techs (that belonged to Gen Eng Flt) was around 135.

In addition, there was an Army major Ground Liaison Officer (GLO) + Army GLO driver / clerk (l/cpl) + Sqn Admin Off / SQINTO + 3 x PANDA clerks + 3 x AATC (cpl/SAC).

West Coast
24th Nov 2020, 03:29

BV

I know many of you lads slag the Jag, I however think it’s a sexy beast.

Bob Viking
24th Nov 2020, 03:41
You are too kind and, of course, I wholeheartedly agree with you.

BV

just another jocky
24th Nov 2020, 05:59
The photo was taken after the Bruggen wing landed from the Strike launch at the end of Taceval (possibly Maxeval, can't remember). 40-odd ac, all flying round the North German Plain at 250-500ft, usually in pretty crap weather, hitting simulated targets before bombing on Nordhorn Range with 30 second separation, then returning to Bruggen to land. And from start-up to taxi in, the only words on the radio were "check gear down, clear to land".

Most of the ac had flown but a couple of spares were needed and towed on at the back to make the photo.

Sadly, I was on leave so didn't make the pic, though talking to the guys afterwards, I'm glad I wasn't as it was a pfaff.

You may see that someone raised their flaps instead of leaving them at Take-Off. Luckily they were near the back.

I have a colour copy of this picture framed and mounted on one of my walls.

Tornado - the most capable ground attack aircraft, ever.

John Nichol
24th Nov 2020, 07:29
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1600x1269/raf_laarbruch_station_picture_05139bb9cd73205e7e0fdbff17fee2 2317c8c2f1.jpg
The Staish at Laarbruch (the legendary Gordon McRobbie) saw that Bruggen pic - ergo the next summer, we were all out on the piano keys - trying to go one better with a load of station personnel and equipment

Buster15
24th Nov 2020, 09:25

Perfect response.

MMHendrie1
24th Nov 2020, 09:52
Yes, the photograph in the opening post has been reversed. The original was entitled 'The Bruggen 40', showing forty of Bruggen's 52 aircraft. If I remember correctly each squadron was established for 16 crews, 12 strike aircraft plus one trainer (which was strike capable).

See the front cover: https://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/Winged-Warriors-Hardback/p/3594"Once 9 Squadron arrived from RAF Honington, the Bruggen Wing was complete. Our new Station Commander thought it would be a good idea to have the Wing lined up on the main runway for a series of photographs. The Wing flying standards instructor, who went by the title of STANEVAL (F), standards and evaluation flying, was landed with the job. This was my former Canberra instructor from 1973, Mike Dineen, who was now also a squadron leader. The day in question was cold and damp and Mike received little sympathy or understanding as he tried to assemble the massed aircrew all feeling decidedly stroppy. It must have been like herding cats!

The photographer was a well known Fleet Street photographer, the late Terry Fincher, and at one stage when he was high up at the top of a huge gantry called a ‘cherry picker’ he announced that at long last everyone was in the right place. He then looked more closely at the aircrew to find that all the officers behind the Station executives were nicely lined up as ordered, except they were all wearing their flying helmets back to front. However, the final photographs taken by Terry were magnificent. The sight of ‘the Bruggen 40’ and their crews could only be described as awesome. That one photograph dramatically captured something of the meaning of the Cold War."

And a number of those pictured were casualties of a Cold War that was not yet over. Others fell in training and the conflicts that followed. They are all worthy of a salute, especially this month, as are those who kept that magnificent aircraft in the air.

Tigger_Too
24th Nov 2020, 10:48
The Bruggen picture was published in the Sunday Express on 29 March 1987. On 30 March we began the Wing TACEVAL exercise which would declare the entire Bruggen Tornado Wing in its strike/attack role. The exercise began with the Option Alpha launch with 14 Sqn in the lead, OC 14 Sqn, Joe Whitfield, at the front. Brakes off at 0900. At 0907, Bruggen lost its first Tornado. No. 2 ended up in a field near the village of Hunxe! The TACEVAL team took one step back until it was clear that the crew were OK (ish). The Station Commander, John Houghton, took the very brave decision to continue the TACEVAL which, of course, the Wing passed with flying colours.

NutLoose
24th Nov 2020, 12:18

BV

I'm erm in this one... Bob, but i digress....

20 Sqn and our Jags, except the third or fourth on the left i think, that was borrowed from another Sqn and bodge tape codes added as ours was away on a major :p

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/700x424/image_691e05074c4ed6d32b960ddb9b76ba7724a59c98.png

Buster15
24th Nov 2020, 12:34
The Bruggen picture was published in the Sunday Express on 29 March 1987. On 30 March we began the Wing TACEVAL exercise which would declare the entire Bruggen Tornado Wing in its strike/attack role. The exercise began with the Option Alpha launch with 14 Sqn in the lead, OC 14 Sqn, Joe Whitfield, at the front. Brakes off at 0900. At 0907, Bruggen lost its first Tornado. No. 2 ended up in a field near the village of Hunxe! The TACEVAL team took one step back until it was clear that the crew were OK (ish). The Station Commander, John Houghton, took the very brave decision to continue the TACEVAL which, of course, the Wing passed with flying colours.

Can you recall what was the cause of the aircraft loss?

Tigger_Too
24th Nov 2020, 13:03
Can you recall what was the cause of the aircraft loss?

Vividly! The joint connecting the right taileron operating lever to its actuator ram failed resulting in the taileron travelling to full deflection. The aircraft rolled rapidly and uncontrollably and pitched down. The failure occurred at about 700 feet descending and about 480 knots in 67 wingsweep.

Buster15
24th Nov 2020, 13:23
Vividly! The joint connecting the right taileron operating lever to its actuator ram failed resulting in the taileron travelling to full deflection. The aircraft rolled rapidly and uncontrollably and pitched down. The failure occurred at about 700 feet descending and about 480 knots in 67 wingsweep.

Thank you. Sounds really scary.

NutLoose
24th Nov 2020, 13:25

Hangars are full of them its a training school remember.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/47715712231_25662b2af5_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2fGtuRD)XV Tornado Cosford (https://flic.kr/p/2fGtuRD) by Tony Taylor (https://www.flickr.com/photos/142550108@N08/), on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/47668095242_d967a1ea6d_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2fCgrZ5)Gr4 Tornado Cosford (https://flic.kr/p/2fCgrZ5) by Tony Taylor (https://www.flickr.com/photos/142550108@N08/), on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/47667699032_b8c1deb333_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2fCeqcS)outside stored Tornado Cosford (https://flic.kr/p/2fCeqcS) by Tony Taylor (https://www.flickr.com/photos/142550108@N08/), on Flickr

NutLoose
24th Nov 2020, 13:30
Don't forget the war dodgers of 431 MU. We had to face the threat of PIRA like everyone else. And I will reinforce your point that this lot 4 years down the line were doing Hot Ops with hard work by aircrew and ground crew alike. Proper Ops with low level and the opposition that threw everything they had back. A lot of the old age pensioners on here have never had a SCUD or IDF come near them or heard one. Or seen fireworks come their way. Granby and Telic medals I wear.

You do a disservice to those that served before and after, war or no war.. maybe a lot on here haven't had the pleasure of a scud, but there were places like the FI and NI well before that were just as equally threatening, different times and different threats, but threats all the same.. And by their presence those before stopped stuff like this happening.

sandiego89
24th Nov 2020, 15:28

BV

Bob, Cat is there any reason to taxi a Jag with the speed brakes open, or is just for show? (and they do look good)

Bob Viking
24th Nov 2020, 16:12
We used to open them during the landing flare and then leave them open.

The micro-turbo for engine start was in the left air brake bay so having them open made the next engine start possible.

Doing that made it easier than someone having to use the electro-hydraulic pump to open them.

Now, it’s been over 13 years since I last flew a Jaguar but my explanation sounds plausible. Let’s see if Cattechie agrees with me!

BV

NutLoose
24th Nov 2020, 17:25
You need them open Bob to stick some more juice in it as the refuelling point is in the Stb Airbrake bay. Plus to do the turn round, after flight etc

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1024x768/image_697fcd85eb39d708f90131303f39634e650f1277.jpeg

Bob Viking
24th Nov 2020, 17:32
I told you it’d been a while. Completely forgot about that.

BV

NutLoose
24th Nov 2020, 17:34
:) I know the feeling

Cat Techie
24th Nov 2020, 18:19
Check the MT oil level and the case drain filters. ;) I will be taking off a No 2 mainwheel tomorrow as alas it has met OM15. Blistered the best tyre at the back. :(

langleybaston
24th Nov 2020, 18:25
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1528x1064/hole_in_floor_370051608dfad2749e54b01c1abf601e95f4808f.jpg
There are the other interlopers that are not military.. Wrong forum to inject gents.

Point of Order.
There were always at least 70 Met Office staff in RAFG/1 BR Corps on at least 6 bases, and more than 7 before my day. Not military [although we had dormant commissions for WW III] but a sight nearer the front line than a fair number of service personnel. Please look at the Forum rules: regarding "not military".
Incidentally I was on night duty at Gutersloh [2,4,19 and 92] when Czecho was invaded ...... the Cold War felt warm that night.

MPN11
24th Nov 2020, 18:53
The Staish at Laarbruch (the legendary Gordon McRobbie) saw that Bruggen pic - ergo the next summer, we were all out on the piano keys - trying to go one better with a load of station personnel and equipmentAn excellent example of the TEAM effort needed to get the sharp end to do the necessary when required. Respect to them all!

And a great Thread with impressive imagery of those days.

PS: Can’t identify a Met Man (sorry, Langley Bastion) and the ATC/BCU Landrovers are clearly well camouflaged!

langleybaston
24th Nov 2020, 19:02
An excellent example of the TEAM effort needed to get the sharp end to do the necessary when required. Respect to them all!

And a great Thread with impressive imagery of those days.

PS: Can’t identify a Met Man (sorry, Langley Bastion) and the ATC/BCU Landrovers are clearly well camouflaged!

The Met Man will be attempting to look very civilian, even in NBC gear [incidentally, although Gutersloh did not have a 4-squadron wing as such, we could probably put more up, as the Lightnings were very big squadrons ...... 15 each including a trainer as I recall.]

G-DAVE
25th Nov 2020, 12:04
About 4 years after the OP’s picture was taken, I was at Bruggen as an Air Cadet on a weeks camp. I asked, instead of a days visit to a water theme park type place, could I spend the day with a squadron. My camp commandant asked the question to the right people and I was able to spend the whole day with 9 Squadron (if memory serves me right, the one with the star on the tail?).

Was able to meet so many ground and aircrew, all of whom I was in awe with all through the day, cementing in my mind that I wanted to join the RAF.

Even got to marshall a Tornado in, and the pilot followed EXACTLY my signals, resulting in a very wavy line taken. We all joked about it after though.

My respect to all who have, are and will serve.

NutLoose
25th Nov 2020, 13:33
It was probably 31 Squadron the "Bruggen Stars" cough cough. as they liked to call themselves :)

Bonkey
25th Nov 2020, 15:09
In the 80s I worked for a major supplier of test equipment, biggest customers were the defence contractors and air forces for production testing and in-service support test rigs. Tornado was the last platform that needed a reasonable amount of precision analogue measurements, it was on the cusp of the digital processing revolution with most testing moving towards being built-in (BITE) and Line Replaceable Units. We had supplied stacks of precision test equipment for planes and missiles such as Lightning, Buccaneer, Phantom, Jaguar and Harrier plus Sky Flash, Sea Wolf, Sea Dart, Rapier, Sea Eagle etc. mainly on accurately testing analogue computers and guidance control systems.

Happy days - I guess everything with Typhoon, F35, A330 is all LRU replaceable now and simply return to manufacturer for service / repair with nothing done at hangar or depot level?

G-DAVE
25th Nov 2020, 16:30
It was probably 31 Squadron the "Bruggen Stars" cough cough. as they liked to call themselves :)

Yes, that seems right. My memory failed me!

Cat Techie
25th Nov 2020, 23:32
Point of Order.
There were always at least 70 Met Office staff in RAFG/1 BR Corps on at least 6 bases, and more than 7 before my day. Not military [although we had dormant commissions for WW III] but a sight nearer the front line than a fair number of service personnel. Please look at the Forum rules: regarding "not military".
Incidentally I was on night duty at Gutersloh [2,4,19 and 92] when Czecho was invaded ...... the Cold War felt warm that night.
I was wearing NBC3 when I took that picture . Wearing the S10 on the 10pm duty supper "it is dark, we can fire a Scud" inter meal, interupt working life! Put a mask on because one didn't know what was in the bang coming your way. I was out in Telic during 2008. January to May. We had a Major from the Army that was famous for breaking his back in an IDF attack. He shouts his name. I remember the wife of the RAF ATC officer that tried to adminster the morphine to him with the medic that screwed up. Her husband got the dose. I was guard commander with the IDF recovery, a suspect IED form an unlabeled bag left in a place and found by a search party and a female Flt Lt in distress. Please tell me you have ever had to face that situation. I know the answer and that is never. You never have. I heard a man die on a radio net two weeks later when I was trying to see if my men were safe. You have never been in that situation. Maybe that is why I see your words and pay little respect to them.. I sworn on the coin. Wore the uniform.Lived the consequence.

NutLoose
25th Nov 2020, 23:40
And Chill......... for what it’s worth we are all in this together, every one of us were a cog in the big wheel and as a civilian met working in the RAF LB took exactly the same risks as we all did as to where and what we could end up doing, in fact more so, you didn’t have a choice in the matter, he did.

You seem to forget that, life throws sh*t at you in many ways, and With some people trying to lighten the mood in a thread which is celebrating and degrading an aircraft type I cannot understand your attitude.
If it’s letting out pent up feelings, good, let em out mate and I will read them and understand and applaud you in doing so, but don’t have a go at people that are or have served alongside each other and are simply undertaking some friendly banter. That is wrong, different times different threats...

Cat Techie
26th Nov 2020, 00:24
Nutty. guess what, some of us have seen some ****e. I have. Guess what, I am a civvy now. I am pissed off seeing my world ripped to ****. Batison lives in his world. It is not ruined by the **** of now. Yet he rants with the evil retorts of someone that has never faced evil. because he actually has not. Never has. You faced a redundancy in your life? I fuc***g bet you never have. Number 3 in 3 years.

NutLoose
26th Nov 2020, 00:49
Been made redundant... yes, once, luckily different times and was lucky, redundant Friday when the company folded and had new job sorted Monday and managed to arrange the same for a mate, everyone’s positions are not safe in these times sadly... PM me your details, licences types etc and if I hear anything I’ll let you know, best I can sadly do :(

Just don’t take it out on people in here, it doesn’t do you justice and they do not deserve it.. you have seen far worse than I did, just as others on here will have seen far worse in their careers than you did.. remember that bud and stay strong.

Cat Techie
26th Nov 2020, 00:52
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1642x950/scud_attack_88bc3492432055d07b5298eb32f43c8224dce9a0.jpg
Langley? Done this rubbish? Not you never have . FACT! Nutlosse,done it for real?

NutLoose
26th Nov 2020, 01:05
Langley would have yes, it was a requirement of his job they were required to do exactly as we did. And he has done absolutely nothing to deserve your wrath.

Have I done it for real, define real, no different wearing that sh*te for 12 hours mask and all on an exercise which I have than in real situations, same goes for sitting in a trench in the pissing rain in the middle of nowhere wearing it. In fact they weren’t dropping anything on you, just as they didn’t on us.

I would say, why go on the offensive when I am offering to help you if I can, I’ve been in the Civi world a while and you get to know people etc.

Cat Techie
26th Nov 2020, 01:30
Langley would have yes, it was a requirement of his job they were required to do exactly as we did. And he has done absolutely nothing to deserve your wrath.

Have I done it for real, define real, no different wearing that sh*te for 12 hours mask and all on an exercise which I have than in real situations, same goes for sitting in a trench in the pissing rain in the middle of nowhere wearing it. In fact they weren’t dropping anything on you, just as they didn’t on us.

I would say, why go on the offensive when I am offering to help you if I can, I’ve been in the Civi world a while and you get to know people etc.
You really do not know. I have been on Ops with people I have worked with that have died. I have heard them die on the radio net. I have had to comfort their friends the next morning as they are in shock. Not a mid air or a CFIT of our pilot berethen (that I know many names of and friends of). I did the cold war and seen aircrew die. They are heros. They died in aircraft not fit for their skills. Every BOI said no ADR fittied. we all have done 12 hours on a NBC black as a practice. You sat under a 23 IDF rocket in coming with CRAM taking motors out to make that rocket flying over your head fall short? Not you f*cking have not. You do not know and never will . Get you coat..

superplum
26th Nov 2020, 09:02
You really do not know. I have been on Ops with people I have worked with that have died. I have heard them die on the radio net. I have had to comfort their friends the next morning as they are in shock. Not a mid air or a CFIT of our pilot berethen (that I know many names of and friends of). I did the cold war and seen aircrew die. They are heros. They died in aircraft not fit for their skills. Every BOI said no ADR fittied. we all have done 12 hours on a NBC black as a practice. You sat under a 23 IDF rocket in coming with CRAM taking motors out to make that rocket flying over your head fall short? Not you f*cking have not. You do not know and never will . Get you coat..

Now breathe!. Calm down now Cat T; you really are my hero - you've told us all! (including those who tend to keep quiet about it).
:rolleyes:

muppetofthenorth
26th Nov 2020, 10:00
I get the feeling someone might be waking up with a sore head today...

NutLoose
26th Nov 2020, 11:38
Hopefully.

langleybaston
26th Nov 2020, 13:26
Do please calm down CT: please let me educate you a little.
We had Met Men in the Gulf War, as part of the MMU. One was never well again after the jabs. Also Falklands, Balkans, the sand box ....... A colleague died in Cyprus when a crashing aircraft hit the office.
The only reason I joined MoD Met was because the RAF would not have me: medical. I was proud to spend 41 years almost continuously with the services, and ended up paying group captain Mess Bills.

In an attempt to lighten the mood, on a 1BR Corps deployment [we were twinned with Int,, 2 box bodies, 2 Met, 2 Int Corps, each slightly able to do limited duties of the other: [we practised often enough].
I achieved fame for sleeping 8 hours in full NBC which included two tear gas insertions in the box. I had, fair to say, been awake 36 hours and worked 24. Very very near the Warsaw Pact. **** either happens, or not. I got lucky.

And well done you, and thank you.

I promise you not another word on this thread.

sittingstress
26th Nov 2020, 13:54
Excellent, "that" pic allows me draw your attention (yet again!) to the exceptionally handsome, young GDT Cpl standing front rank, far right with a Shiny II pitot probe in his left earhole.

That photo drags up embarrassing memories of being instructed to "form up" the parade. As you can see by the size of the neat block of people to my right I was completely unsuccessful. The individual who had this mad idea was already unpopular across the station and this act cemented the attitude of all concerned.

RAFG, so much better than anywhere else ;)

NutLoose
26th Nov 2020, 14:12
I found another for all you Tornado chaps and chapese's, it's from the Fire service https://www.rafanddfsa.co.uk

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1800x1200/bru_20endex_9bc633b16c9471e4ecaf3089a44969294d191c0d.jpg

salad-dodger
26th Nov 2020, 18:57
Tell us some of your VC10 ‘war stories’ Nutloose, that’ll convince cat techie you have shared his pain.

If anyone has done something, you will have done it with knobs on!

downsizer
26th Nov 2020, 19:22
Nutty. guess what, some of us have seen some ****e. I have. Guess what, I am a civvy now. I am pissed off seeing my world ripped to ****. Batison lives in his world. It is not ruined by the **** of now. Yet he rants with the evil retorts of someone that has never faced evil. because he actually has not. Never has. You faced a redundancy in your life? I fuc***g bet you never have. Number 3 in 3 years.

Mate, times are hard for a lot of people. I'm sure you'll fire back a witty retort, but have you anyone to talk to? Seriously it can help, having been in a pretty bad way recently I can say it makes a difference....soemthing to ponder.

Distant Voice
26th Nov 2020, 22:45
So where are all the groundcrew that made this happen & kept those steely eyed killers in the air, seems awfully unbalanced ?

They are just the 'stable boys', as usual.

DV

Foghorn Leghorn
26th Nov 2020, 23:03
I was wearing NBC3 when I took that picture . Wearing the S10 on the 10pm duty supper "it is dark, we can fire a Scud" inter meal, interupt working life! Put a mask on because one didn't know what was in the bang coming your way. I was out in Telic during 2008. January to May. We had a Major from the Army that was famous for breaking his back in an IDF attack. He shouts his name. I remember the wife of the RAF ATC officer that tried to adminster the morphine to him with the medic that screwed up. Her husband got the dose. I was guard commander with the IDF recovery, a suspect IED form an unlabeled bag left in a place and found by a search party and a female Flt Lt in distress. Please tell me you have ever had to face that situation. I know the answer and that is never. You never have. I heard a man die on a radio net two weeks later when I was trying to see if my men were safe. You have never been in that situation. Maybe that is why I see your words and pay little respect to them.. I sworn on the coin. Wore the uniform.Lived the consequence.

What on earth are you gabbling on about. None of that makes any sense whatsoever. I’m not sure anyone believes what you are purporting to have experienced.

Tinman74
27th Nov 2020, 08:13
Mate, times are hard for a lot of people. I'm sure you'll fire back a witty retort, but have you anyone to talk to? Seriously it can help, having been in a pretty bad way recently I can say it makes a difference....soemthing to ponder.
seconded, not aircrew here however being a JTAC on the ground in Helmand 2006 was and still gives me nightmares

Tashengurt
27th Nov 2020, 12:27
Wow! This thread got weird since I last dipped in.
GW1 was hell though. Our pool wasn't even heated.

Hot 'n' High
28th Nov 2020, 11:56
They are just the 'stable boys', as usual.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1266/marham_4e9fa1dfc80daad16338b72f78c53cd8aa5adeff.jpg

Maybe a bit too far back from the Front Line for some - but a happy mix of folks - and they all played their part!! Handing over the last of the TCAS-Mod Jets from what I understand in 2017. Many had already moved on as the Fleet run-down was in full swing by then when it came to Depth work passing thru the Sheds. All moved on now - some on to F35 I guess. Happy daze there too! H 'n' H

pr00ne
3rd Dec 2020, 15:11
The Met Man will be attempting to look very civilian, even in NBC gear [incidentally, although Gutersloh did not have a 4-squadron wing as such, we could probably put more up, as the Lightnings were very big squadrons ...... 15 each including a trainer as I recall.]

As I recall the RAFG Lightning squadrons were indeed quite large, 15 F2A's a few F2's and a few T4's per squadron. Mind you 2 and 4 were tiny, 9 FR10 and a T7 a piece...