PDA

View Full Version : Why I Love Being an Aircraft Engineer

slowto280
20th Nov 2020, 04:22
Hopefully not too 'corny'. Here I am in my 'twilight years', still in aviation after over 45 years, teaching at an A&P mechanic school in the US.

Attempting to motivate new students, I'm looking for input from folks on what has made them happy to be in aviation as an Aircraft Engineer - what type jobs. My aviation career has been mostly in the air - F/E and pilot, but began as an A&P (US Navy first). I know there are so many different jobs Engineers (A&P's in US) can hold. One of my 'favorites' is the job the guy that puts out VIP B777 youtube videos as (I am sure) a fly along mechanic has.

I am hoping to gather enough inputs from PPRUNE to copy and paste into a document to pass out to the students in an attempt to motivate them. It's a different world out there and I'm thinking if I was able to (easily) gather peoples inputs (about great aviation gigs) and motivate some folks, that would be wonderful.

Thanks for your positive inputs.

Krystal n chips
21st Nov 2020, 10:29
Hopefully not to 'corny'. Here I am in my 'twilight years', still in aviation after over 45 years, teaching at an A&P mechanic school in the US.

Attempting to motivate new students, I'm looking for input from folks on what has made them happy to be in aviation as an Aircraft Engineer - what type jobs. My aviation career has been mostly in the air - F/E and pilot, but began as an A&P (US Navy first). I know there are so many different jobs Engineers (A&P's in US) can hold. One of my 'favorites' is the job the guy that puts out VIP B777 youtube videos as (I am sure) a fly along mechanic has.

I am hoping to gather enough inputs from PPRUNE to copy and paste into a document to pass out to the students in an attempt to motivate them. It's a different world out there and I'm thinking if I was able to (easily) gather peoples inputs (about great aviation gigs) and motivate some folks, that would be wonderful.

Thanks for your positive inputs.

I don't suppose getting paid and going home is quite what you are looking for.

However, you've posed a very interesting question, one with a multitude of answers because we're all different and "one mans meat " etc. I think it's important, as a former trainer, to explain to the aspiring engineers just how much diversity there can be and in essence, to look at any element that really appeals.....then ask them... why ?

Given "over there " is a bit different to "over here ", in some respects, it's not a bad idea to try and illustrate the pro's and con's of say, the airline world. Biz jet, G.A. Vintage Rotary to name but a few...or component shops, although why anybody would willingly work in a bay is a mystery to me given the RAF kindly insisted I did....I wasn't entirely in agreement you understand.

As the F.E has now been replaced by a couple of television screens, the next best option would be a flying spanner with a cargo outfit. Personally, I always liked Line engineering, ( free international food and coffee ) but do stress Alaska, for example, gets a bit cool in the winter, whereas Florida doesn't in this respect.

I appreciate the above may seem a bit light hearted, but, as I say, you've posed a question with a multitude of potential responses so I hope this helps in some small way.

Cat Techie
21st Nov 2020, 22:40
I don't suppose getting paid and going home is quite what you are looking for.

However, you've posed a very interesting question, one with a multitude of answers because we're all different and "one mans meat " etc. I think it's important, as a former trainer, to explain to the aspiring engineers just how much diversity there can be and in essence, to look at any element that really appeals.....then ask them... why ?

Given "over there " is a bit different to "over here ", in some respects, it's not a bad idea to try and illustrate the pro's and con's of say, the airline world. Biz jet, G.A. Vintage Rotary to name but a few...or component shops, although why anybody would willingly work in a bay is a mystery to me given the RAF kindly insisted I did....I wasn't entirely in agreement you understand.

As the F.E has now been replaced by a couple of television screens, the next best option would be a flying spanner with a cargo outfit. Personally, I always liked Line engineering, ( free international food and coffee ) but do stress Alaska, for example, gets a bit cool in the winter, whereas Florida doesn't in this respect.

I appreciate the above may seem a bit light hearted, but, as I say, you've posed a question with a multitude of potential responses so I hope this helps in some small way.
Working in a bay gave you a better understanding of systems theory.

Rigga
23rd Nov 2020, 22:52
After my meagre training, I started working on Whirlwind Helicopters (S55T for A&Ps) on a Hangar “Rectification Team” and when found to be of sufficient standard, I was pushed out to do Line maintenance - a job I thoroughly enjoyed. However, because I’d been in the hangar for that short period I was the only person on the Line with experience of re-hanging cabin doors that had been erroneously ejected! Kudos from my seniors and superiors!
In a career of more than 45 years, I have done line, hangar and bay work (and now lots of office work too) to gain quite some depth as to how fixed wing and rotary aircraft work and how to manage them. In my view, any work on aircraft or their components is challenging purely because of its implications - and to complete any period without incident or accident is deserving of QUIET self-congratulation. But you’re still waiting for the next problem....

Cat Techie
23rd Nov 2020, 23:23
After my meagre training, I started working on Whirlwind Helicopters (S55T for A&Ps) on a Hangar “Rectification Team” and when found to be of sufficient standard, I was pushed out to do Line maintenance - a job I thoroughly enjoyed. However, because I’d been in the hangar for that short period I was the only person on the Line with experience of re-hanging cabin doors that had been erroneously ejected! Kudos from my seniors and superiors!
In a career of more than 45 years, I have done line, hangar and bay work (and now lots of office work too) to gain quite some depth as to how fixed wing and rotary aircraft work and how to manage them. In my view, any work on aircraft or their components is challenging purely because of its implications - and to complete any period without incident or accident is deserving of QUIET self-congratulation. But you’re still waiting for the next problem....

Do not disagree with that. Look at the problem. Is it a fault isolation lead or not. Sometimes it is not so if it doesn't fit the write up or not mentioned, do not guess. I have had problems where injects from others have added additional issues as they have gone for solutions that never fitted the original issue. If not sure, read up on the system operation again. All of us never remember everything. We are technicians, not the designers. However use common sense. Don't miss anything, record everything in the technical detail that makes it obvious. I have had things go off the overhaul, were a paper pusher has raised the RO on a pilot snag, not for the reason I removed the item as it was actually a fail on fit and was missed. You find D and B damage. Report it. If in SRM limits , recorded it! Some other person gets dumped with it or it will bite you later.

limbang
30th Nov 2020, 21:59
The opportunities available to an LAE are numerous. Flying - obtaining a pilot's licence is facilitated, the theory is similar and the operational environment is already there. Having a pilot's licence made it easy in remote areas to get a maintenance job, load up tools and the apprentice and head out to carry out yearly inspections in the bush. In the airlines, I was offered a RH seat by several employers. Airlines both domestic and international, great way to travel and see the world.
Tech services - a bit of extra study and working in a design/development environment is extremely rewarding. Contracts - returning aircraft to lessors and the completion of contractual terms and conditions is very interesting. Acting as a tech rep for an airline provides an opportunity to travel and interact with manufacturers.
Expat employment - take the family and enjoy foreign cultures and be trained in leading edge aircraft and equipment.
Insurance assessor - extremely lucrative.
Government employment with the national regulator, airworthiness inspector or trainer.
Easy transition to quality and safety roles.
Instructor duties with airlines or move on to training organisations (EASA 147).

NutLoose
4th Dec 2020, 02:38
I remember one Christmas I was at home at my mums on leave a couple of hundred miles from work and I used to look after the Chairman’s aircraft from an airline, my mum took a call that the aircraft was U/S and urgently needed a sig to enable it to fly, could she ask me if I would pop back and sign it for them, they would send an aircraft to collect me and then return me home afterwards... her jaw hit the floor lol.

Genghis the Engineer
5th Dec 2020, 11:38
I took a different career path to most.

I was an MoD aircraft engineering apprentice, then did well enough to be sent to do a degree (and somehow ended up with a PhD a few years later). The formative moment for me was a placement with an aircraft manufacturer in the flight test department, which showed me that what I was really interested in was the overlap between engineering and flying, so I learned to fly as well.

A few highlights.

Seeing fitted the first modification I ever designed (nothing special, the anti-collision light under the nose of the Lynx 8, but hell, I was 19.)

Using a periscope at the back of a VC10 in flight to try and identify the reason the beaver tail between the adjacent podded Conways was fluttering, as Tornado pilots were refusing to fly behind it.

Making the first flight (as test pilot) on a homebuilt aeroplane that I had also overseen the full build on as an aircraft inspector.

Flying as a pilot, the first aeroplane design that I oversaw and approved as an engineer (tiny little low performance 2-seater, but it still counts).

Working with military test pilots and Rolls Royce airworthiness engineers to design and run the flight testing of a modified Dart turboprop on the HS780 Andover, and running the flight tests from the jumpseat.

Getting to the bottom of why a carbon fibre propeller had decided to spontaneously combust in flight, including scrounging a non-flight airframe, instrumenting it up, and running tests to determine the reason, then getting that circulated around the airworthiness community.

Finding a way to adapt military performance scheduling to civilian research aeroplanes, allowing them to fly more and better instrumentation, for longer, than ever before.

Visiting eastern European light aircraft factories not long after the end of the cold war to determine what types were, and which weren't, suitable for certification in the UK.

Identifying a fundamental design problem across a fleet that had caused fatal accidents, and getting it eliminated - coming back 5 years later and seeing the end point in the history of related fatalities.

Right now I'm leading a team who are designing, building, and will be testing two prototype all-electric aircraft, I expect to be creating the inspection schedule and training syllabus for one of the first electric powertrains, and likely training the first techs and inspectors on it as well. Yes, that is as hard work, and as exciting, as it sounds.

Yep, I'd be very happy to recommend aeronautical engineering, at least my oddball flavour of it, to anybody looking for an exciting career that can take you around the world doing stuff that for most people is pure fantasy.

G

Tempsford
5th Dec 2020, 12:46
As I approach 50 years in aviation, being 3rd generation aviation and with 3 sons in aviation, it would be fair to say that aviation is in my family genes. Coming to the end of my career, I can look back with a smile on my face and feel extremely fortunate to have a vocation that I enjoy and has given me so many opportunities.

To have travelled extensively, to be pushed to the limits of your capability often in adverse conditions is what I have enjoyed the most. To be paid well for a job that you enjoy is a rare commodity and I am grateful to aviation to have provide me that opportunity. Aviation has more than its fair share of ‘good’ people. There are the ‘not so good’ as well, but they are in the minority. To be part of the camaraderie, teamwork and the ‘let’s get it done’ approach is great, and when you work with others of a similar mind, it is infectious and ‘yes’ you can move mountains.

The first aircraft I worked on was a Bristol Britannia and I am now involved with aircraft such as B787, NEO, MAX. An incredible advance in technology during my time in aviation. To those coming into the industry now you have such exciting times ahead. I envy you, but at the same time realise that it is time to step aside and pass the baton on to you.

Aviation is a vocation, it is not for people who think it is ‘just a job’.

To those starting their career in aviation:
1. Enjoy every minute
2. Avoid negative people
3. Every day is a school day, you will never stop learning
4. Never be frightened to ask questions
5. Take full advantage of every opportunity offered to you
6. Enjoy every minute (I know that I have said that twice)

Temps

Genghis the Engineer
5th Dec 2020, 12:55
3. Every day is a school day, you will never stop learning

5. Take full advantage of every opportunity offered to you

Just emphasising these, as the theme of the thread is inspiration for young people - there is a price of all this fun we all have had, and it's the willingness to study, and to learn. Constantly, from the day you enter the professions, to the day you last walk away from an aircraft. I've paid that price willingly, but it's not a cheap price - in 32 years since I started as an engineer, there's probably the equivalent of about 9 years full time study in there.

G

slowto280
6th Dec 2020, 20:26
Great replies and information. Of course, all quite different.

Don’t want to be ‘greedy’, but hope to see more. I am sure all readers/viewers here enjoy too.

So many years back, brand new F/E on the 707 (freighter as it were) had to operate the ‘hammer’ on a hammer start (JT3D’s) in the middle of the night with 2 newbie pilots - a/c ‘new’ to company. Learned about the start in classroom - ‘you can use a tool to open the start valve....’ Man, an eye opener for me......

Thanks to all and Happy Holidays.

Krystal n chips
7th Dec 2020, 08:37

Don’t want to be ‘greedy’, but hope to see more. I am sure all readers/viewers here enjoy too.

So many years back, brand new F/E on the 707 (freighter as it were) had to operate the ‘hammer’ on a hammer start (JT3D’s) in the middle of the night with 2 newbie pilots - a/c ‘new’ to company. Learned about the start in classroom - ‘you can use a tool to open the start valve....’ Man, an eye opener for me......

So were you also familiar with the, ahem, tools, used to reset the infamous JT3's T/R's......that could be fun ! :D

Perrin
7th Dec 2020, 09:54
Started in USAF came to the UK. 50 years loved it, hanger work was OK but line maintenance was great,no two days the same never boring but weather was hot in Saudi wet in Scotland so some days were better than others. Retired now but still look up when one goes over.
Keep them up boys
Peter

NutLoose
8th Dec 2020, 12:08

Hahahaha..... Same on the VC10, air start valve stuck on number one, drag the safety raiser under the engine and jack it up, drop the cowl and taking the jacking handle from the safety raiser give the air start valve a couple of good whacks until you hear the satisfying ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz as the engine winds over, glancing to the left to see all these rearward facing ( RAF) passengers watching me at work out of the windows.. smile at them, shut the cowling back up and drag away the raiser... Often wondered what they thought.

Perrin
8th Dec 2020, 12:23
During the war stationed in Guam we started engines on the B52s 33 of them at once
with shot gun cans two each plane the noise was ready something and one time the engine just blew up.
Keep them up boys

dixi188
8th Dec 2020, 13:02
So were you also familiar with the, ahem, tools, used to reset the infamous JT3's T/R's......that could be fun ! :D
Land Rover and piece of 4 x 2?

Krystal n chips
9th Dec 2020, 04:01
Land Rover and piece of 4 x 2?

Almost. no Land rover, but a sledge hammer, plus the F/E, me, and in one case a "very reluctant " F/O .....which amused me and the F/E. :D

slowto280
16th Dec 2020, 08:33
Seems I remember the TR’s on the 50 and 61 series 8’s being a problem. To include the ejectors on the 20 series 8’s. Capitol, Southern Air Transport, Evergreen; fond, fond memories stopping in Shannon for gas. Airplanes........my love.

slowto280
16th Jan 2021, 16:07
Folks, now that the year end holidays have passed, any more great 'Why I Love Being an Aircraft Engineer' inputs?

Any greatly appreciated. Wanted to put this post back in view. :D

WOTME?
26th Jan 2021, 14:38
I joined the RAF in 1970 as an airframe mechanic just after my 17th birthday because I wanted to be involved with aircraft & travel the world.
After nearly 10 years I decided I hadn't seen enough of the world so went to the middle east for the next 12.
I then took a US FAA A & P license followed by UK CAA A & C which I eventually converted into an EASA B1.
Most of my career post the middle east was as a licenced contractor....good money & plenty of travel.
Thanks to my job I met my wife of 30 years and I've got absolutely no regrets but I am thankful that I retired just before Covid reared its ugly head!
Also I am still good friends with some of the guys I first knew in the early 1970's.

Putt
27th Jan 2021, 10:04
Well done Tempsford! Taking advantage of every opportunity may mean taking on a tough job that no one else will do.
Greatest "gift" you can possess is Intellectual Curiosity! I remember a number of times, being called on to solve a problem no one else could solve. Great satisfaction in finding the solution.

slowto280
8th Apr 2021, 03:48
Don't want this to die just yet........

Any more inputs about love of aviation and aviation maintenance?

Inputs are, in fact, greatly appreciated!!!

Velcroworm
9th Apr 2021, 10:13

An essential skill all of us 707 flight mechs learned very quickly.

aeromech3
21st Apr 2021, 14:47
Early years borescoping a 22B #1 engine on an L1011 and informing management that there was a crack in a turbine blade, then, whilst they summoned the Development Engineer to confirm, going to the #3 and calling out, "you had better look at this one too"! the VPT was looking at me as if I had made the cracks.
Once the gold standard -524 single crystal turbine blades emerged, my job was almost over, except for the JT8D sulfidation corrosion inspections and later combustion chamber cracking post Manchester.
Really enjoyed the on-wing RB211 module runs, with all the dramas that ensued.
What comes around goes around, my last career position VPT but now well into retirement.
Most of my dreams, dare I say nightmares involve the aircraft maintenance world.

Less Hair
21st Apr 2021, 14:52
Fascinating to think about the old days with rows of people in suits with ties and polished shoes standing in front of paper plans pinned to wooden tables with slide rulers and developing manned space flight and even nukes this way.

Corrosion
24th Apr 2021, 09:57
Not actual "old stallion", but spent 35years on mechanical side of aviation. I had private pilot license on my younger days too, which gave good sight to pilot's perspective and helped a lot to understand their way of thinking... :ok:
Started with general aviation. Still doing it time to time because it is fun and love to see how simple things can be.

With bigger aircrafts, i have spent years with turboprops and jets which all gave me their own joys. (or nightmare) Being lucky to work long period for airliner which had several different types of aircrafts on fleet, some of them at the same time. Nightmare for logistics, and maybe for us too, but it really kept your head spinning.
(EMB-110, J31/32, SF340/S2000, F28-3000, RJ85/100, MD-90, B717) What a fleet... but it really shapes individuals skills on aircraft maintenance...
All this includes mixed line/hangar work, for me part of the fleet included borescoping work with engines and this gave some headache due to bit "problematic" engines... LF507. But after all it really boosts knowledge and your ability to understand systems
Later on, did short ~2years trip overseas. Line work with another sophisticated British-made machine, J41. Trip changes to heavy maintenance hangar work with my all time favourite aircraft BAe RJ, and Airbus A320-family as one of the guys "with stamp". Met very nice people there, which gave a lot more new things to think about.

Back to home. Spent +2years on small-ish private MRO with two different department, business jets and airliner line maintenance. Again, something new to absorb, especially on business jets side. Line was line, mainly on apron which is not that interesting anymore for ageing engineer. One interesting project was eng changes for customer Airbus fleet, tight schedule projects which came sometimes just one at the time or could be 3 to 5 on row. Not that difficult job to do but you must focus to flow and paperwork to get work done on time, and like on other heavy maint you have customer rep following you. :p

Now, my new area of interest is helicopters, with national operator. Changed work due to another reasons than actual work itself.
Funny enough, this operator is having Garrett powered fixed wing aircrafts too... and being experienced with those my first job was to attend one of them maint check which includes prop and eng change. Prop is ok, but getting myself in the middle of Garrett fully mechanical power/speed control adjustments after 23years.. well, it wasn't walk in the park due to long "no touch" to TPE331 controls.
Anyway, all this is what is needed to keep my "love" live.

Last project is somewhat "agricultural" machine again, old AB412 heli. Well, something different for me at least, New systems, and requires VERY ankward working positions. :}

Will keep on going as long as my legs are carrying me, i am more than happy to share my collected knowledge for younger people if they are interested. One thing which really warm my heart is to find young people who really are interested of their work, not only collecting money.

AEROMEDIC
30th Apr 2021, 09:08
It’s a compelling career with many highlights and lowlights. Disappointments with management are tempered by successes in getting it right first time.
Started out as an apprentice with a major airline and stayed 20 years and left licensed on Boeing 707 series and Boeing 747.
Moved on to General Aviation and helicopters. Many years there with mostly field work which I would not swap for anything in the world.
Experience is priceless. Then moved back to the airline again to become licensed on Boeing 747-400 series and finally retirement.
A great occupation to have, despite it’s ups and downs, because you can become much more than just someone fixing aircraft. You learn to become self sufficient, inventive and be able to think “ beyond the square”.
No regrets at all... 😎