PDA

View Full Version : Sid Melksham, Eurong, R.I.P.

frigatebird
18th Nov 2020, 17:11
Sid Melksham, the Barefoot Tycoon, "Savage Sid", passed away on the Gold Coast last Friday, funeral in Maryborough this Friday.
Fraser Island tourism pioneer, he also had a Charter company at one time, and owned and used a succession of aircraft including C182, PA32, C337, Beech Duke, Robinson 22, Bell Jetranger. The singles he kept on the beach above the high tide mark.The twins at the strip at Woolgoolber. The helicopters in an air-conditioned hanger at Eurong. I did charter freelancing for him on weekends and when not required for my other work,before he got his own licence and pilot. Endorsed him on the C337 when he bought his first twin.
I remember flying VH-MIK for him during the filming of "Eliza Fraser", when Tim Burstall and Suzanna York were staying at Eurong in May 1975, when I did several charters to ferry people on the 10th and 11th. On one of them I crossed the beach as the whaleboat was being filmed coming ashore,and I curved around and landed on the beach behind the cameras. Spoilt that Take with the 20th Century sound no doubt. Had calls from him on occasion to fly taken-ill people off the Island when the tide was well in on others.
R.I.P. Sid