PDA

View Full Version : Advice and info needed - curious about avaition

BalkanT
17th Nov 2020, 09:14
Hi everyone
I'm interested in becoming a pilot and need advice about employment opportunities. After being freshly qualified with a commercial license, having no experience and very low hours, how realistic is it to find employment? Is it possible at all?

I'm interested in small planes, not large airlines. I'd love to travel often if this is required. I'm 24, and finishing a South African law degree next year.

rudestuff
17th Nov 2020, 12:44
It is normally possible but hard to get a first flying job with a fresh CPL. But normal does not exist any more.
Get a job as a lawyer, get a medical then work on your PPL. If the market ever turns, or you decide you want to go commercial, you can always get hours and add an IR and CPL as you go along.

Darthkader
3rd Dec 2020, 15:32
Hello,
Aviation is exciting and rewarding but as this year has shown, not stable. Different parts of the world have their unique aviation industry quirks, look for a flight school in a country or continent that has a vibrant general aviation community. A law degree is good, come into the industry with a Plan B ready. You never know when the next down turn will be.
Make sure you have a plan for your first 200 or 250 hour job ​​​​before you start your training. A pilot license is as more useless than toilet paper if you don't have a plan for your first gig. A CPL by itself is almost worthless without a CFI, IFR and/or Multi rating, so factor that into your budget.