PDA

View Full Version : The AA at Coventry in the 80s

CJ1234
15th Nov 2020, 20:35
Hi folks,
I think AA had quite a large operation at Coventry, which I seem to remember included a 421 and even a Learjet. Can anyone remember what they actually did? Was it air ambulance/repatriation, or was it more widely a public transport air taxi outfit?
John Milner was (I think but am not sure) the chief pilot of the operation, nice chap, he used to do instrument rating renewals. Does anyone know/remember him?

treadigraph
15th Nov 2020, 20:46
They had a Conquest G-AUTO I recall - C421 was G-BBUJ (how did that lurk in the recesses of my mind?), Lear 35 was G-GAYL.

They certainly did medical repatriations.

CJ1234
15th Nov 2020, 21:51
C421 was G-BBUJ (how did that lurk in the recesses of my mind?)

I don’t know but jolly well remembered! I think that 421 was later replaced by another 441, G-BHLP. I used to see that around a fair bit.

horatio_b
15th Nov 2020, 22:14
In earlier times I remember them having G-AHKV Rapide and G-APZE Apache

chevvron
16th Nov 2020, 07:41
As the main AA offices were in Basingstoke, they used to go into Odiham a lot after using a strip south west of Basingstoke for a while in the early '70s.
Late' 80s when Farnborough opened up to civil aircraft, the Lear was a frequent visitor preferring us to Odiham, especially as we didn't mind it's 'spectacular' departures ie get airborme, gear up and hold it at about 100ft until the end of the runway then pull up steeply to iniitial cleared altitude.(maybe the driver was ex Lightnings?)

treadigraph
16th Nov 2020, 08:10
As the main AA offices were in Basingstoke, they used to go into Odiham a lot after using a strip south west of Basingstoke for a while in the early '70s.

Preston Candover?

(I saw the original British Lear G-BBEE do a near vertical departure from Heathrow's 28L way back when... after lift off it was held low until past T3 then pulled up - probably levelled off at about 2 or 3000')

chevvron
16th Nov 2020, 08:58
No not Preston Candover; I saw the AA strip marked on a map in Odiham ATC on a visit there in the early '70s; it was between the A30 and the M3 and is now covered in houses.
I know PC very well having visited and flown out of there with Peter Cadbury several times; on one occasion, I arrived for a flight in his Islander and the airstrip was deserted, then his Jetranger appeared climbing over the southern airfield boundary, landed near me and Janie (his wife at that time) got out and said 'Peter says do you want a quick trip in that while he's got it running?' So I walked over, opened the passenger door, put one foot inside and we took off! I quickly hoisted myself inside and shut the door; he wasn't even wearing a seat belt!

Planemike
16th Nov 2020, 09:29
In earlier times I remember them having G-AHKV Rapide and G-APZE Apache

These two were Biggin based in the 60s, rather than Baginton......

treadigraph
16th Nov 2020, 11:02
No not Preston Candover; I saw the AA strip marked on a map in Odiham ATC on a visit there in the early '70s; it was between the A30 and the M3 and is now covered in houses.

Shame that the OS map site (https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/51.34305,-0.33473,10) doesn't include historical map data so you can go back and see how things have changed over the years. The Library of Scotland site (https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=10&lat=51.43151&lon=-0.09208&layers=173&b=1) is excellent but most recent maps are 50 years plus and coverage can be patchy...

Peter Cadbury also had a C340 I think, G-JANE?

Sorry, thread drift...

VictorGolf
16th Nov 2020, 14:33
Even further thread drift. I thought "AA at Coventry" meant Air Atlantique.

Stretchwell
16th Nov 2020, 14:58
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1791x1314/0710e5cc_a2ad_4f80_b3f1_849b616ad722_58ab8e663f59f6948ae8519 57efe3fdee7b46103.jpeg
Back to the original thread..........

Auster J/5Q Alpine many years ago. Was this the first AA aircraft?

chevvron
16th Nov 2020, 15:06
Shame that the OS map site (https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/51.34305,-0.33473,10) doesn't include historical map data so you can go back and see how things have changed over the years. The Library of Scotland site (https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=10&lat=51.43151&lon=-0.09208&layers=173&b=1) is excellent but most recent maps are 50 years plus and coverage can be patchy...

Peter Cadbury also had a C340 I think, G-JANE?

Sorry, thread drift...
He had Islander G-BESO and a C310 G-MADI too, plus a couple of C421s; used to change every couple of years; the airstrip (about 1200m) had runway edge lights and AAIs plus a hangar.
Then John Sainsbury bought the estate and immediately removed all trace of the airstrip.

JENKINS
16th Nov 2020, 20:34
Drifting, there also was a Cessna 337 at Preston Candover.

As for AA, perhaps Andy Walton was there.

jensdad
16th Nov 2020, 21:08
Am I right in saying that 'G-AUTO' is - or possibly was - the only reusable registration on the UK register? (i.e. it belonged to the AA rather than being allocated to a specific aircraft - they were only allowed to use it on one aircraft at a time though obviously :) )

treadigraph
16th Nov 2020, 21:17
G-AUTO was only ever used on the one Conquest between 1979 and 1984, when it was sold to another business.

Think it was unique in being registered in the G-AU sequence, other than aircraft registered in Australia between 1919 and 1929...

Two registrations that have been used by more than one aircraft were G-BCSE, a CSE Learjet and Navajo; and G-BJCB, two different HS125s. Various period registrations which were either unallocated or allocated to aircraft which never flew with them were reissued to various classic imports in the 1980s, notably Luscombes. For some reason an Aerostar managed to gatecrash the party and was allocated G-ADRW...

jensdad
16th Nov 2020, 22:36
Think it was unique in being registered in the G-AU sequence, other than aircraft registered in Australia between 1919 and 1929...

Ah yes, I knew it was unique in some way. Thanks for the info, treadigraph.

jimjim1
17th Nov 2020, 06:02

https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/maps/
Has various old maps for UK. Exact maps available seem to vary by location. Links to NLS maps mentioned above. You seem to have to dig around the map menus to see which maps exist for your location of interest. The Overlay" feature is great. You can have the current and a historic map selected and choose to mix between them. [100% old -- 0% new], all the way to the opposite.

Some notes I made regarding this site:-

Click on one of the 'OS One Inch' options, then 'create overlay', move the slider and you can see how things have changed over the years.)

1957 survey

maps hosted by NLS, OS six inch
OS One Inch Maps, 1:25,000 1950s

DaveReidUK
17th Nov 2020, 07:01
Two registrations that have been used by more than one aircraft were G-BCSE, a CSE Learjet and Navajo; and G-BJCB, two different HS125s. Various period registrations which were either unallocated or allocated to aircraft which never flew with them were reissued to various classic imports in the 1980s, notably Luscombes. For some reason an Aerostar managed to gatecrash the party and was allocated G-ADRW...

One or two modern aircraft have managed to creep into the original 1919-1928 G-E sequence as well, for example Cessna 421 G-EAGL (geddit?) registered in 1979.

Incidentally, the CAA's G-INFO online database copes with interlopers and duplicated registrations by appending an extra 'X' on the end - so a search for the above HS125 returns G-BJCB and G-BJCBX, though of course the 'X' was never worn on the second aircraft.

PaulH1
17th Nov 2020, 08:03
G-AUTO was re-registered G-HOSP when the Jersey side of AA was sold off to become Aviation Beauport in 1986. G-HOSP then became the designated air ambulance aircraft flying under the callsign AVB999.

R6915
17th Nov 2020, 09:13
I used to be one of a group of schoolboys who frequented Fairoaks at weekends in the mid 1950's. The atmosphere was always free and easy and we could wlak around the live side of the airfield if we behaved ourselves! If we wrer there after 18.00 there was a chance to help the fitters push the aircraft into the hangar for over night.

G-APAA Auster Alpine arrived and I have to guess here the summer of 55 or 56. It did cause some amusement because the pilot had to wear the full uniform of the AA road motor cycle patrols of that time. That included the leather gaiters! It appeared to make mounting the Alpine a little tricky! We wondered if he had to salute other pilots who were also AA members. Such was the standard of school boy humour those days.

One occasion the Alpine was missing - it seemed odd to us. So we had a chat with one of the fitters and he told us the prop had come off over the adjacent town of Woking a couple of days earlier. Oh dear! I don't believe we saw it again after that and then a rumour circulated that the AA were looking for a twin engined replacement.

Some time later the Dragon Rapide arrived at Fairoaks. If I'm correct I think it was based there for a couple of years and then went elsewhere. But our bunch of half a dozen were unanimous that the livery was superb and I have to say today when I see a photograph occasionaly that yellow and black livery with old the enormous AA badge covering the fin and rudder still looks superb to my eye.

AARON O'DICKYDIDO
17th Nov 2020, 09:53
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1460x2000/8c0ec842_f494_4fdb_bd8d_87f94824d306_67a2b451bdc669d9fd6f9a4 e46450d505dded364.jpeg
My Grandfather as an AA patrol Scout. He claimed to be the first AA Patrolman in Wales.
No aircraft for the AA in those days - bicycles were good.

R6915
17th Nov 2020, 11:18
My Grandfather as an AA patrol Scout. He claimed to be the first AA Patrolman in Wales.
No aircraft for the AA in those days - bicycles were good.

A very handsome gent! I have a sense the uniform hadn't changed very much buy the mid fifties, the pilot might even have had a Sam Brown belt, I suspect! Dioch

Planemike
17th Nov 2020, 13:44
G-AUTO was only ever used on the one Conquest between 1979 and 1984, when it was sold to another business.

Add to that select list....G-AJRY worn and flown by two different DC 3s....

DaveReidUK
17th Nov 2020, 16:02
Add to that select list....G-AJRY worn and flown by two different DC 3s....

That was apparently due to a c*ck-up. Here's what Joe Baugher has to say about it:

"... N702S with Freeport Sulphur Co then to International Telephone and Telegraph Corp Oct 1962, then to G-ASDX with standard Telephones and Cables Ltd Nov 19, 1962, then reregistered G-AJRY Nov 21, 1962 (erroneously on basis of incorrectly reported c/n for original G-AJRY), Returned to UK as G-ASDX registered Nov 19, 1962 but NTU when it was re realised that it had previously been G-AJRY."

NutLoose
17th Nov 2020, 17:28
They also used to do traffic reporting, I used to work on their 441’s and Lears at Rogers. In fact most aircraft mentioned including G-EAGL when it was operated by the Mosley group and flown by a true gent.

treadigraph
17th Nov 2020, 19:34
G-AJRY was initially allocated to another de-mobbed C-47 KG607 but apparently the aircraft didn't use the registration and went instead to Singapore, so 'JRY was reallocated to KG600.

G-ASDX was also allocated to a Comanche and an Aztec both of which took on other i/ds without using 'SDX.

Planemike
17th Nov 2020, 21:57
As recorded by David Reid above..... ARB "cock up" !!

Mooncrest
18th Nov 2020, 07:07
Minor thread departure but I remember G-EAGL, and one of her pilots, when she was based at Leeds Bradford in the 1980s. Systime owned her, then Asda.

DH106
18th Nov 2020, 09:20
Minor thread departure but I remember G-EAGL, and one of her pilots, when she was based at Leeds Bradford in the 1980s. Systime owned her, then Asda.

Indeed - said pilot used to frequent the aeroplane club on the south side. Happy days.

SLXOwft
18th Nov 2020, 12:11
Pre-WW2 the AA provided services to aviators and aviatrices (as they would then have been called).

Aviation section
There was growing interest in private flying in the late 1920s. Some members were joining flying clubs or even buying their own planes and in 1929 the AA formed an Aviation Section, initially to survey landing grounds and provide information about changes or obstructions.

The AA produced the first air-route maps and was the first to supplement telephone and post by dropping messages to patrols from aircraft.

In 1931 the AA started the first weather information service for pilots with reports broadcast every hour. Recognising its value, the Air Ministry took over the service in 1933.

The AA Aviation section continued until the outbreak of the Second World War.

The famous aviator Amy Johnson worked with the AA to plan her 1932 World Record flight to Cape Town in a De Havilland Puss Moth.

During the 1920s the AA used an airship for traffic spotting and in 1928 used two light aircraft to support the growing number of aviators joining the AA.

Source www.theaa.com

Daxon
19th Nov 2020, 03:04
G-BMOA (unfortunate registration) was another Conquest with the AA.

Andy Walton was indeed there.