View Full Version : AAC in context

skua
14th Nov 2020, 10:26
Some drollery for the weekend:
https://combatboot.co.uk/blog-1/f/so-capbadges-what%E2%80%99s-that-then

Two's in
14th Nov 2020, 15:04
Nothing new with the AAC piss-taking, but I did like the PQO section:

PQOs, Professionally Qualified Officers (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airsoft). Not technically a capbadge (and should really include other ranks) but a mix of various groups. These are doctors, dentists, veterinarians, padres, physios, lawyers, etc that a fighting force needs to operate. They need to be qualified as per their civilian counterparts, so the Army pays them more money to attract and keep them. They also have to go on a truncated basic course to look military and to ensure they do not accidentally shoot anyone. They do not give a **** about rank, literally could not care less. They know there is a job in big wide world anytime they need it but stay in military for the ****s and giggles. Outrageous party animals, untouchable and popular usurpers of officialdom. Fight each other when drunk.

P.S. My favorite PQO story, although I'm sure completely apocryphal, was of the Dentist type working at Odiham who ended up having to cover at Lossiemouth for a few weeks. On her return to Odiham, she was asked how the social life compared and reportedly said "Oh, the Mess was fun but for some reason they don't wear their medals with their mess dress..."

NutLoose
14th Nov 2020, 20:33
Trouble with that is when I went to Bruggen on Jags and we had a No1 insp for some parade, bar the coffin dodgers with their LSGC’s I stood out as having a medal, in fact I was about the only one, and hence got volunteered for the Bl#£#y parade.

MightyGem
14th Nov 2020, 20:48
Some drollery for the weekend:
Excellent. Pretty much true as well. :D

Hydromet
15th Nov 2020, 08:59
My former dentist, when he was called up for national service, spent most of his time designing the base golf course.

Somewhere, there was probably an engineer or some such, who was pulling teeth for something to do.

treadigraph
15th Nov 2020, 09:22
My former dentist, when he was called up for national service, spent most of his time designing the base golf course.

Somewhere, there was probably an engineer or some such, who was pulling teeth for something to do.

When I was 20 my dentist did an "emergency" extraction of an impacted wisdom tooth which proved very reluctant to leave my jaw. He disappeared for a few minutes and came back with what looked like a pair of well-used mole grips. I think he'd been rummaging for them in his car's toolbox... Probably an ex RNZAF Engineering Officer then. Mole grips did the trick but I had the rest done later under general anaesthetic...

PapaDolmio
15th Nov 2020, 10:25
All I'll say regarding Service Dentists is be grateful. I never had a complaint with them in 30 years and they're free!

I've had more treatment in the 7 years since leaving- some of which I'm not altogether sure I actually needed and paid for the privilege.

SLXOwft
15th Nov 2020, 10:49
I also recommend another post The Nine Types of Service Personnel https://combatboot.co.uk/blog-1/f/the-nine-types-of-service-personnel

As Pilot Officer Prune said "If the cap fits, it won't fall over deaf ears."

Mind you I don't think its just the Dunning Krugers who "turn into a bitter cynic who spends their time endlessly pontificating online."

15th Nov 2020, 14:55
That's a great link SLXOwft - seems I was a Bluffer-Passive:) but had to endure a lot of Bumsnorkellers!

AARON O'DICKYDIDO
15th Nov 2020, 15:39
Not technically a capbadge

When I first read this I saw ' Not technically a cabbage'!

​​​​​​​Aaron.

NutLoose
15th Nov 2020, 15:44
Odihams dentist used to have w%nking makes you blind on the ceiling of the room where they used to knock you out.

Green Flash
15th Nov 2020, 17:09
I can assure all that, as an ex-light blue PQO, the description is 100% accurate. :E Hell, yes.

kintyred
17th Nov 2020, 15:16
Nothing new with the AAC piss-taking, but I did like the PQO section:

P.S. My favorite PQO story, although I'm sure completely apocryphal, was of the Dentist type working at Odiham who ended up having to cover at Lossiemouth for a few weeks. On her return to Odiham, she was asked how the social life compared and reportedly said "Oh, the Mess was fun but for some reason they don't wear their medals with their mess dress..."

No, it’s not apocryphal! She asked whether there was a fast jet tradition of wearing medals on No 5s! I’m sure the Chinook Room in the OM at Odiham, where photos of Chinook recipients of State and gallantry awards cover the walls, is the envy of most RAF stations.