PDA

View Full Version : New statue of Trenchard unveiled at the RAF college

NutLoose
12th Nov 2020, 18:05
See the link

https://thelincolnite.co.uk/2020/11/statue-of-raf-college-founder-unveiled-at-cranwell/

Fareastdriver
12th Nov 2020, 18:45
How long before that is going to be sprayed with 'WARMONGER' et al.

Toadstool
12th Nov 2020, 19:36
How long before that is going to be sprayed with 'WARMONGER' et al.
By the College Cadets or staff?

Lima Juliet
12th Nov 2020, 22:51
Just need a statue of the real father of the RAF - David Henderson. Maybe opposite Trenchard? https://www.thegazette.co.uk/all-notices/content/101313

Runaway Gun
13th Nov 2020, 01:03
What if someone is offended?

NutLoose
13th Nov 2020, 09:13

They could throw a white sheet over him to cover him up in that case with a couple of holes so he can see out..... ohhh hang on, that might not work either :p

Toadstool
14th Nov 2020, 10:28

Again, seeing as this is right outside College Hall Officers Mess and not outside the wire, who would get offended? Cadets and staff? Civil Servants working for the MOD?

Nobody is putting sheets over the statue, nobody is offended, nobody is going to paint it with WARMONGER.

Its a statue commemorating the 100 year anniversary.

Could be the last?
14th Nov 2020, 16:03
Ah but, seemingly someone was offended by the grave of Wg Cdr Gibson’s dog, and that was inside the wire......

Tankertrashnav
15th Nov 2020, 11:59
Excellent statue, she has really "got" Trenchard. I looked up the sculptor Vivien Mallock and she has produced some very good statues of military subjects. I suspect that the fact that her works actually look like their real life subjects means that she will never become a nationally known name!

Could be the last? I think,unfortunately, it wont be the last time somebody mentions that bloody dog!

J.A.F.O.
15th Nov 2020, 19:42
Shame that they considered sponsoring flying scholarships instead but then decided to spend it on a lump of stone and metal. It is an excellent statue but surely the founder of the RAF College and RAF Apprentices would have preferred to be responsible for training youngsters.

Just This Once...
16th Nov 2020, 07:55
Good to see the statue and good to see Chris Coville looking so well too - one of those thoroughly top chaps who was always a pleasure to be with, whatever the rank divide.

NutLoose
16th Nov 2020, 19:22
Excellent statue, she has really "got" Trenchard. I looked up the sculptor Vivien Mallock and she has produced some very good statues of military subjects. I suspect that the fact that her works actually look like their real life subjects means that she will never become a nationally known name!

Could be the last? I think,unfortunately, it wont be the last time somebody mentions that bloody dog!

Agreed, i’ve been looking at her other work, this one is simple in its originality, but speaks volumes in its implementation.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:IIWW-Women-monument-whitehall-london-uk.jpg

1.3VStall
16th Nov 2020, 20:59
My room (no 37), when I was at the College, is the window just behind CCC's head. Hard to believe it was soooo long ago!